Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cool footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cool footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 01:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Probably nothing dramatically different than what they’re riding now.
You think that everyone is counting on having a mechanical during the race? They’re setting up the bikes to be as fast as possible, but still go the distance.
They’re not going to ride 25lb steel frames and 36h wheels with airless tires to be ‘bomb proof;’ If carbon and 28’s made it to the finish without breaking, then it was enough, not that they got lucky.

Even with support cars, it’s a pretty significant penalty to have to stop and change wheels, and then go ‘full hero mode’ to pull yourself back up to the end of the line, especially if it’s late in the race.
I guess.. but if you go by BF wisdom, and if you were to describe a hypothetical type of riding you do, using the terrain of P-R for this description, you'd be getting all sorts of recommendations for a bike out of the Adventure/Gravel lineups, with probably 32-40mm tires. Would the advice be different from the LBS, or a manufacturer at a bike show? If P-R isn't the kind of course suited to a Gravel Bike setup, are gravel bikes just snake oil?
Old 04-21-19, 11:18 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess.. but if you go by BF wisdom, and if you were to describe a hypothetical type of riding you do, using the terrain of P-R for this description, you'd be getting all sorts of recommendations for a bike out of the Adventure/Gravel lineups, with probably 32-40mm tires. Would the advice be different from the LBS, or a manufacturer at a bike show? If P-R isn't the kind of course suited to a Gravel Bike setup, are gravel bikes just snake oil?
If I’m riding my own bike, that I paid for, it’d be something like a gravel/ADV/monster cross, fast enough, but also comfortable enough that I won’t be beat to death the next day. I also don’t want to/ can’t afford replacing wheels after every ride, so I would choose something with durability rather than speed.

If I’m racing PR, against the top pro cyclists in the world, I want the fastest thing that’ll make it to the finish line in one piece. Keep in mind, PR is only 20% pave’ and the other 80% or so is a regular road race.

Paris-Roubaix is a road race with some ‘bumpy parts’ so a slightly beefed-up road racer is the mount of choice. If the course was all pave’ then we’d probably see a much different line-up.
Old 04-21-19, 11:41 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I mean, all 3 bikes on the podium were discs, and Gilbert's and Lampaert's new (kinda suspended) Spesh Roubaix were on 30mm tires. So what's the thread about again?

(reference: Paris-Roubaix tech: Podium bikes from the Hell of the North | Cyclingnews.com)
Old 04-22-19, 11:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
So what's the thread about again?
Started off great, and then it turned into another lame "pro cycling is all wrong, but I know how to fix it" thread.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-22-19, 12:39 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Just watch van der Poel. Everything else melts away. He's making this year's Spring Classics a sheer joy to watch....
Likes For superdex:
Old 04-23-19, 08:39 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Just watch van der Poel. Everything else melts away. He's making this year's Spring Classics a sheer joy to watch....
I hope he'll be able to count on a decent team soon. It might make the grand tours interesting to watch again.
Old 04-23-19, 08:53 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Corendon-Circus deserves a wildcard, the entire team has been working hard and punching above their weight. Too bad they're not in the grands this year (I mean, it would be an easy swap with Wanty-Group Gobert)
Old 04-23-19, 09:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The footage of support crews with replacement bicycles is a big turn off to me. I believe this endurance race should be without this kind of help.
I agree. Ride stuff that does not break or risk a DNF.

I am clearly not the target audience for professional road bike racing.