Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

this is a very active forum!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-19-19, 09:38 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Exciting to see so many people my age that are into cycling!
Likes For SpinClassSara:
Old 07-19-19, 10:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
Bicycling is a big part of my life. I bought some tools a couple of years ago and started to learn the maintenance/mechanical side of bikes. My skills still could use a lot of improvement, but it has added to my bike world. This past winter I challenged myself with the rebuild of steel frame bike I bought brand new in 1992 as a b-day present to myself. It was at times both a frustrating satisfying experience. In the end, the bike came out very nice and it is again my favorite bike to ride. My avatar is a picture of it.

Last edited by delbiker1; 07-19-19 at 10:11 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-19-19, 10:30 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
All kinds, here, too! I'm getting educated, acclimated and validated on so many levels. Even most of the disagreements are enlightening
Old 07-19-19, 11:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
As everyday hustle and bustle of life slows down as we get older.... or at least for me it did, then there is more time for activities we used to do all the time as kids. So yes there are a lot of us older types actively cycling.

Possibly a lot of us that are ADD (ADHD) love the adrenalin rush of speed and endurance part of it. I know I do. For others, maybe it's a good social crowd to identify with.
Old 07-19-19, 05:44 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts
It must be a baby boomer thing that we're part of. lol
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 07-19-19, 07:57 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts
Staying active on the internet keeps me feeling young.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-20-19, 05:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
All kinds, here, too! I'm getting educated, acclimated and validated on so many levels. Even most of the disagreements are enlightening :
Originally Posted by 2cam16
I’ve been on Bike Forums since 2008, very much on this Forum. FYA, there was this reflective thread in 2016, 50+ the way that it used to be.” Many former regulars contributed to that thread.
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always. It was it's own place.

Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did…
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
…The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s).

A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow.

Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others….

Just what I observed over the few years I have been here, I cannot say that I am always happy with how things go here, I doubt that anyone is always 100% in agreement about the place, or who has an opinion. I have been lucky with the forum, and the members, mostly,

I have received encouragement and support when times were hard. Members have checked on me from time to time, it I was away, or just to say hello. And, there are members I just have to ignore, best left right there about them.

Make of things what you will, times change, and members will come and go. We just lost a member, Artkansas, he passed from a heart attack. He will be missed, greatly. Thanks to everyone here for all y'all have offered to me, and done t make my riding pleasurable.

Bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn [deceased] was on that one.

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-29-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 08:16 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I sometimes think this 50+ bar is set way too low. There are a lot of different ways to have fun on a bicycle (or a tricycle) and, for me at least, how I find my fun has evolved through the years. I'm looking to find a bar with more patrons who are like me or who at least tolerate the people who have never chased a Strava KOM. I could never understand why people couldn't just skip over the threads that mentioned pie in the title.

I have a question for the group. If you fall from your bike and injure yourself does that count as an accident or is it an athletic injury? I ask because my kids have restricted me to only using a 4' step ladder and all of the two wheeled cycles have disappeared from my garage. I think it's because they think I've had too many athletic injuries. My brother-in-law, by the way fell while playing golf and needs to have a shoulder reconstruction. Golf! In my book that counts as an athletic injury too.
Old 07-22-19, 08:25 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some of us are GenX.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-22-19, 09:53 AM
SpinClassSara

I'm a Gen Xer.
Likes For SpinClassSara:
Old 07-22-19, 05:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
I ask because my kids have restricted me to only using a 4' step ladder and all of the two wheeled cycles have disappeared from my garage.
Are your kids your legal guardian? If not, demand that they return your property and tell them thanks, but no thanks when they attempt to restrict you. How you "tolerate" that kind of BS from your children is incomprehensible to me.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-23-19, 03:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are your kids your legal guardian? If not, demand that they return your property and tell them thanks, but no thanks when they attempt to restrict you. How you "tolerate" that kind of BS from your children is incomprehensible to me.
What if they're right?
Old 07-24-19, 11:29 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
What if they're right?
When my kids become "right" I may have to rethink things

Like having them.

And yes, I was one of the original in this subforum when it was formed.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 07-24-19 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For maddmaxx:
Old 07-24-19, 01:03 PM
BKE

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Please don't take this as snarky but I have to ask because no one else has. What/who were you expecting to find here? The exclamation in your title says to me that you were quite surprised.
Is it because you are in "The City" and don't get out much? For what it's worth, I'm 62 and into more than just cycling when it comes to fitness. Have a good spin!
Old 07-24-19, 01:18 PM
SpinClassSara

Originally Posted by BKE
Please don't take this as snarky but I have to ask because no one else has. What/who were you expecting to find here? The exclamation in your title says to me that you were quite surprised.
Is it because you are in "The City" and don't get out much? For what it's worth, I'm 62 and into more than just cycling when it comes to fitness. Have a good spin!
I expected to find members over 50 years old. I just did not expect to find so many of them.

Has nothing to do with my location and/or lifestyle. Thanks for asking, though.
Old 07-25-19, 06:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I talked to my daughter about that. I told her in the sixties and seventies when I was in high school my bike was(is) my life and my freedom! The bike rack at the local high school was always packed with ten speeds. We did not have any other distractions(other than girls) so bikes were our friends! I am now happily married for the last 43 years and I still ride my first race bike that I bought new in 1976, among others. I still get that sense of freedom when I am peddling along and enjoying the wind in my face. It's all good, Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-25-19, 06:51 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
What if they're right?
Shouldn’t that be your decision?

My kids all encourage me to go out and “do things.” Maybe they are hoping for an early inheritance. Little do they realize that I’ve spent it all on bikes.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-25-19, 07:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have a question for the group. If you fall from your bike and injure yourself does that count as an accident or is it an athletic injury? ...
My recent fall and injury was an accident, but it's whichever you decide at your sole discretion.

I sought advice, medical and other, before getting back on the bike. But in the end it is my decision if and when to ride or walk or run, and no one else's. Your interactions here do not demonstrate any impairments, IMO, that you shouldn't have the same capability and right to your own choices.
Old 07-25-19, 10:12 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Our age group is a growing and at the same time I'm sorry to say a diminishing demographic.
Old 07-25-19, 10:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
When my kids become "right" I may have to rethink things

Like having them.

And yes, I was one of the original in this subforum when it was formed.
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Shouldn’t that be your decision?

My kids all encourage me to go out and “do things.” Maybe they are hoping for an early inheritance. Little do they realize that I’ve spent it all on bikes.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
My recent fall and injury was an accident, but it's whichever you decide at your sole discretion.

I sought advice, medical and other, before getting back on the bike. But in the end it is my decision if and when to ride or walk or run, and no one else's. Your interactions here do not demonstrate any impairments, IMO, that you shouldn't have the same capability and right to your own choices.
Fortunately for me, my family is far less grim and much more fun loving than than most of the other people whom I encounter. Makes me proud. We'll banter together a little and then do fine, thank you.
Old 07-25-19, 10:58 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Big crop of Baby-Boomers are here...... from the 70s bike boom, and now we have a bit more time on our hands after careers/family/etc. ... and we are still riding.
We are still kicken'
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-26-19, 05:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
The average age of my bike club would qualify for this forum. Few of them frequent the Internet, beyond Facebook, though.
Old 07-27-19, 07:20 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I sometimes think this 50+ bar is set way too low. There are a lot of different ways to have fun on a bicycle (or a tricycle) and, for me at least, how I find my fun has evolved through the years. I'm looking to find a bar with more patrons who are like me or who at least tolerate the people who have never chased a Strava KOM. I could never understand why people couldn't just skip over the threads that mentioned pie in the title.

I have a question for the group. If you fall from your bike and injure yourself does that count as an accident or is it an athletic injury? I ask because my kids have restricted me to only using a 4' step ladder and all of the two wheeled cycles have disappeared from my garage. I think it's because they think I've had too many athletic injuries. My brother-in-law, by the way fell while playing golf and needs to have a shoulder reconstruction. Golf! In my book that counts as an athletic injury too.
RG, tell 'em to bring 'em back, they are yours! lol
Old 07-28-19, 03:49 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
This is a great forum. I always have ridden bikes since a kid they got me around and freedom. Well I started long distance running to stay in shape for baseball and keep it up so far all my life 41 years in the runners log book. I bought a bike back in 1992 to supplement my running and road off on depending. When your injured running many times the bike is your best friend. Finally about 11 years ago I went out bought a new road bike with the intention of doing my cycling as running is fine but lots of pounding.

I don't hurt running but have slowed way up. My usual 8 minute training pace till I was 40 has now dropped to 10-11 and I walk as my legs just don't want to always run. However once I went to cycling more I wonder if maybe more a cyclist. As a cyclist I have not really slowed at all in the last 10 years by much. I wonder if in my prime I might have been a much better cyclist than runner. Now I can easily go out and ride with guys even 20-25 years younger than my 58. I can ride 300 mile weeks and while I get tired I can still get up and go at it again. I retired last year and cycling is just a real outlet. This group here in the 50's is great I appreciate the advice and company.

Also like many here I got into bike mechanics and can do most anything on a bike except build a frame. I build my wheels and keep my own bike in shape. I repair guitars for a living and we luthiers like to say if you can repair a guitar...…….generally other things are much easier. I do wish at times I had others to ride with my I am lone wolf due to I don't like to be tied to any specific time frames or routes. This group takes the place of those group rides I suppose.

Last edited by deacon mark; 07-28-19 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 03:51 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
I'm excited to see so many your age that I can learn from....

JAG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.