Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 03:40 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
New Wheels

New custom-built wheels arrived today. Easton R90SL, WI hubs. Looking forward to my first ride on them in a few days.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 10-08-19, 08:30 PM
cp88mb1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats. New wheels day can be as fun as a new bike day.
Old 10-09-19, 07:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
"New" is good.
Old 10-09-19, 07:07 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Fantastic choice. Give us your thoughts on the hubset if you have the chance. Are you going to be racing on them?

I really wanted to spring for a high tier hub like WI or DA on my wheels but couldn’t justify it. Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.
Old 10-11-19, 04:00 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Sweet!
Old 10-11-19, 09:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.
Just keep riding them, and they’ll loosen up.
Old 10-12-19, 08:57 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I had those exact same wheels built by November for me. I used them for about a year and a half and then sold them. They rolled as smooth and true as the first day.

enjoy and ride safe!
Old 10-14-19, 02:36 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I really wanted to spring for a high tier hub like WI or DA on my wheels but couldn’t justify it. Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.
I have built 3 sets of wheels with 350 hubs and haven’t found that to be the case at all. There’s certainly no more drag than my 240 hub builds.

Maybe you have too much grease on the star-ratchet?
Old 10-14-19, 02:40 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by robbyville
I had those exact same wheels built by November for me. I used them for about a year and a half and then sold them. They rolled as smooth and true as the first day.

enjoy and ride safe!
Mine came from Spark Wheelworks.
Old 10-14-19, 04:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Very nice. I ordered a new set of wheels a couple of days ago, not as nice as yours, but it was at a terrific price. I bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda with Shimano freehub. I have seen a lot of good comments/reviews on them. I hope your new wheels are all you would want them to be. Enjoy and be safe!
Old 10-14-19, 04:06 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Very nice. I ordered a new set of wheels a couple of days ago, not as nice as yours, but it was at a terrific price. I bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda with Shimano freehub. I have seen a lot of good comments/reviews on them. I hope your new wheels are all you would want them to be. Enjoy and be safe!
You'll do fine. Everything I've read about Zondas is very positive. If you land anywhere near 1500 grams, you'll be blown away by the difference relative to OEM wheels.
Old 10-14-19, 08:21 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
I have built 3 sets of wheels with 350 hubs and haven’t found that to be the case at all. There’s certainly no more drag than my 240 hub builds.

Maybe you have too much grease on the star-ratchet?
No, I think I was just expecting that my new wheels would spin faster than my old OEM wheels out of the box. Also, I don't think the seal drag is significantly different between 240 and 350 hubs. They were egregiously slow when I first bought them and have loosened up a bit since, but are still nowhere near as fast as I would expect them to be for a road race bike. I don't see the point in spending $800 on a set of aero wheels only to use bearings that are slower than those in the $50 hubs that came with my bike.

Luckily, I can swap bearings fairly easily if I feel the need to. Obviously I'm going to leave them alone until race season comes around.
Old 10-15-19, 06:32 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
No, I think I was just expecting that my new wheels would spin faster than my old OEM wheels out of the box. Also, I don't think the seal drag is significantly different between 240 and 350 hubs. They were egregiously slow when I first bought them and have loosened up a bit since, but are still nowhere near as fast as I would expect them to be for a road race bike. I don't see the point in spending $800 on a set of aero wheels only to use bearings that are slower than those in the $50 hubs that came with my bike.

Luckily, I can swap bearings fairly easily if I feel the need to. Obviously I'm going to leave them alone until race season comes around.
You must have had a bad batch then as none of mine have had any significant drag. If this was such a huge problem you wouldn’t see half of the pro peloton riding DT Swiss hubs.
Old 10-15-19, 08:25 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
You must have had a bad batch then as none of mine have had any significant drag. If this was such a huge problem you wouldn’t see half of the pro peloton riding DT Swiss hubs.
More likely he's putting his bike on a stand, spinning the wheels, and timing how long it takes them to stop spinning. This "test" means very little.
Likes For noodle soup: