Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-30-17, 04:38 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Not just for Roam owners, also for anyone with questions and anyone considering a Giant Roam purchase too. The Roam series is proving to be very popular and features better components when compared to certain higher priced brands, so it seems to me that the Roam line well deserves its own thread.

I've had my 2017 Roam 1 for two weeks as of today. I've put 342 miles on it. I love this bike.

So here's my new pride and joy:

Old 06-30-17, 05:45 PM
s2000zr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the roam compatible to the trek DS line?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-2-disc-2018

Or trek DS2 for $650

Last edited by s2000zr; 06-30-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:13 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by s2000zr
Is the roam compatible to the trek DS line?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-2-disc-2018

Or trek DS2 for $650

Roam is very comparable to the Trek DS line. You generally get better drive components with Roam for a little less money than Trek.

One thing to keep in mind, with Giant Roam the lower model numbers are the more expensive bikes. Roam 0 is top of the line, but not sold in the USA. Roam 1 is the top model in the US, followed by the less expensive Roam 2 and Roam 3.

Trek is opposite, the higher model numbers are better.

Comparing the $660 DS2 to the $590 Roam 2, they are very similar, but the Roam costs less. A few of the brake and drive components are better on the Roam.

If possible, I would recommend you ride both bikes before purchase. You may like the feel of one over the other. If that is not possible, they are both good bikes for the money.
Old 06-30-17, 06:45 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been considering the Giant Roam or the Toughroad to use as a "go anywhere" bike - mainly as a commuter and cruising our many limestone trails here in the Twin Cities.

Unfortunately, my LBS - who I really want to buy my next bike from - has both in only the "2" versions and size M. I'm interested in the "1" versions and need a L - so I'm not sure what to make of my test rides on the "M" models.

Has anyone else had their decision come down to a Roam vs a Toughroad? If you chose one versus the other (or went with something else altogether) what about the bike won you over?
Old 06-30-17, 06:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Tony G, that's a very nice looking Roam 1. Congrats!

I have a 2011 Roam 2 that I picked up used for a song. Great bike. In fact, it's my go to bike. Fits like a glove.

Unfortunately, the bike had a few issues from not being maintained properly. Spring 2016 I stripped the bike down to the frame for a thorough cleaning and rehab. As I had recently upgraded practically everything on my Mountain Sport, I had a few nice leftover components to put on the naked Roam frame.

EDIT: It appears that PhotoSchmucket is no longer allowing pics to be linked. I'll have to sign up somewhere esle and repost the pics.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 07-06-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 08:21 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
I've been considering the Giant Roam or the Toughroad to use as a "go anywhere" bike - mainly as a commuter and cruising our many limestone trails here in the Twin Cities.

Unfortunately, my LBS - who I really want to buy my next bike from - has both in only the "2" versions and size M. I'm interested in the "1" versions and need a L - so I'm not sure what to make of my test rides on the "M" models.
I had no luck at all getting test rides. The Trek dealer had no DS 3's in stock, and the Giant dealer had no Roam models in stock. I bought (ordered) my Roam 1 sight unseen and with no test ride.
Old 06-30-17, 08:28 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Tony G, that's a very nice looking Roam 1. Congrats!

I have a 2011 Roam 2 that I picked up used for a song. Great bike. In fact, it's my go to bike. Fits like a glove.

Unfortunately, the bike had a few issues from not being maintained properly. Spring 2016 I stripped the bike down to the frame for a thorough cleaning and rehab. As I had recently upgraded practically everything on my Mountain Sport, I had a few nice leftover components to put on the naked Roam frame.

Thanks for that, Doctor.

I'm not able to see your photos. It is happening in a lot of threads lately – there is a stock photobucket image that says “Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting”.
Old 07-01-17, 07:17 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Roam 2! It's proven very durable over the last few years & I'm not exactly a small or gentle rider. Mostly used on our extensive greenway trail system and gravel paths. Plenty comfy for 50+ mile jaunts & can hang w/ the "medium fast" group on local rides (at least for the 20 mile loops I've been on)

It just fit me better than the Trek or Crosstrail (XL frame) & the LBS that carried the Giant line has better service (tho I do my own wrenching most of the time).
Old 07-01-17, 04:00 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roamer2
I love my Roam 2! It's proven very durable over the last few years & I'm not exactly a small or gentle rider. Mostly used on our extensive greenway trail system and gravel paths. Plenty comfy for 50+ mile jaunts & can hang w/ the "medium fast" group on local rides (at least for the 20 mile loops I've been on)

It just fit me better than the Trek or Crosstrail (XL frame) & the LBS that carried the Giant line has better service (tho I do my own wrenching most of the time).
Last Saturday, I did my first metric century ever on my Roam. Before this year is over, I plan to get my first century on it.
Old 07-04-17, 09:12 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate the 2017 Roam specially the 3.. So smooth and much better upgrade than it was 2 yrs ago.. disc brake, all cables hidden under the down tube and a 2lbs lighter.
Im a 2015 owner i have all the right to get upset.
BTW this is my Roam 3 now. Looks rubbish after 2 Landrun(16,17) Dk100('15), 2 Cuba gravel crisis and 7 century touring. Around 5000miles under its chain. And also its already drop bar converted. Love this bike though she heavy for 30lbs.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 07-04-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 11:39 PM
KneelingAtlas

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding a Roam 2 since May 1st this year and I do love it.

In short, the doc said I needed to get active and mentioned diabetes. Got my bike and ride to and from work every day, even in the rain.

Its been a few years since I owned a bike, my last bike being a 2008 Gary Fisher Pirhanna. That bike was stolen in the first year and haven't owned one since.

My total distance from home to work is 7.5 miles. So basically 15 miles 5 times a week. My only thoughts about this bike are the front end. I have kept the suspension locked since day one because I don't feel I need it for the roads I ride. I've thought about researching a front for swap but I'd have no idea where to begin or if it's even a good idea.

I don't have enough posts for pics yet. I don't even know if I can add a link yet.
Old 07-05-17, 05:53 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by KneelingAtlas
I have kept the suspension locked since day one because I don't feel I need it for the roads I ride. I've thought about researching a front for swap but I'd have no idea where to begin or if it's even a good idea.
If you want to change your fork, you'll be looking for what is commonly called a "suspension corrected" fork. These forks are much taller than standard forks, and will be approximately the same length as your current fork in its locked-out configuration. The headlining dimension is the axle-to-crown length, which is the distance between your axle centerline up to the fork crown, where it enters the headtube of the frame. That length will dictate which replacement forks will work for you. You also need to be mindful of the type of headset you have (looks like a 1-1/8" threadless) and the steerer tube length (from the crown to the very top of the fork, where the cap nut is).

Your local bike shop may have a catalog with various options; they can take measurements of your bike and current fork and figure out exactly what you'll need.
Old 07-05-17, 09:21 AM
MMABear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would love your input!

A Roam 2 Disc is one of the 4 bikes I'm considering buying and would like to test ride. I'd love to hear your opinion on how it compares to the other 3.

Specialized- Crosstrail Disc
Trek- DS 2
Cannondale- Quick CX 4
Old 07-05-17, 10:09 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone tried installing a front mount child bike seat on their Roam? Like a Thule Ridealong Mini or a Yepp Mini?

I'm interested in this bike because it has a front suspension fork and for the size I'm looking for, it seems to have a longer top tube than the Trek FX I'm currently riding.
Old 07-06-17, 12:10 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
I hate the 2017 Roam specially the 3.. So smooth and much better upgrade than it was 2 yrs ago.. disc brake, all cables hidden under the down tube and a 2lbs lighter.
BTW this is my Roam 3 now. Looks rubbish after 2 Landrun(16,17) Dk100('15), 2 Cuba gravel crisis and 7 century touring. Around 5000miles under its chain. And also its already drop bar converted. Love this bike though she heavy for 30lbs.
Great looking and well traveled Roam you have there. The drop bars are not what I was expecting. My plan to roadify my Roam is to just put road friendly tires on it when the Crosscuts wear out. Maybe a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS tires, which should be good for me as I intend to do 90% paved riding and only very light off road with zero mud riding.

About weight, my 2017 Roam 1 sized Small was 30.5# the day I brought it home, before adding any accessories. I've probably hung a good 5 or 6 pounds of tools and accessories on it since then.
Old 07-06-17, 02:27 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
Great looking and well traveled Roam you have there. The drop bars are not what I was expecting. My plan to roadify my Roam is to just put road friendly tires on it when the Crosscuts wear out. Maybe a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS tires, which should be good for me as I intend to do 90% paved riding and only very light off road with zero mud riding.

About weight, my 2017 Roam 1 sized Small was 30.5# the day I brought it home, before adding any accessories. I've probably hung a good 5 or 6 pounds of tools and accessories on it since then.
Yup. For 2 years its my gravel/road bike. Last winter i Sold my MTB and bought a Cross,built a SS and another hybrid. This year i may have put only 300miles. He now have help.
Regarding the position i am very much upright on that thing.. the drop helps a lot to tuck myself for headwind. It is my rugged Gravel bike. Suspension always open to absorb those tiny bumps. Close only if i need to stand up for a long climb.
Old 07-06-17, 02:33 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
What have you got as shifters/brake levers? Is it still a 3x8? Are you still using V-brakes or are those mini-V's? Thanks

Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
Old 07-06-17, 04:43 PM
Maverick 13330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
What have you got as shifters/brake levers? Is it still a 3x8? Are you still using V-brakes or are those mini-V's? Thanks
2x8 STI shifters..now it only has 1x8 set up.
still has a V brake. Since a Roam 3's frame and fork is disc brake ready. Maybe next year(if my wife permits) ill upgrade the wheel with disc.
Old 07-16-17, 08:46 AM
rubm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMABear
A Roam 2 Disc is one of the 4 bikes I'm considering buying and would like to test ride. I'd love to hear your opinion on how it compares to the other 3.

Specialized- Crosstrail Disc
Trek- DS 2
Cannondale- Quick CX 4
I can't speak for the Cannondale and Specialized bikes as I have not looked into them due to their higher price points. But a couple wweek ago I tried the 2017 Trek DS2 and the 2017 Giant Roam 2; I ended up buying the Roam 2. These 2 bikes are comparable and have similar ride qualities. However on paper the Roam 2 appears to have better components in my opinion and the price point of Roam 2 is lower too. I was told that Giant has their very own bike factory in Taiwan. However Trek does not but Trek also manufactures in Taiwan.

Overall the Roam 2 is more bike for the money than DS2, but since it is not a big dollar difference it is up to you to try both and see which one seduces you more

I have been riding my 2017 Giant Roam 2 for a couple weeks and I am fully satisfied with its performance. I do road, unpaved trails, and occasionally some light Mountain Bike trails! I was told by the Giant store that the Roam is not suitable for Mountain biking and I should avoid it, however I just can't help it. Obviously I have to limit my speed going downhill in MTB trails and choose my path carefully to avoid large rocks and stumps, however I do no shy away from the very small jumps. So far I have not had any issues!

Good luck.
Old 07-17-17, 06:38 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So, I saw four people dismounted and walking their bikes up a hill at the MUP last weekend. Three of the four were Treks (really).
Old 07-17-17, 08:06 PM
Fbody4life

Bikes: 2017 Roam2 2018 Toughroad SLR2 2015 Diamondback AxisXE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant did a good job with the look of the Roams; I even took the time to wrap most parts of mine in 3m clear protective film.
Old 07-19-17, 06:48 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fbody4life
Giant did a good job with the look of the Roams; I even took the time to wrap most parts of mine in 3m clear protective film.
I've had mine for a month now, and I have put 675 miles on it. I like it more every time I ride it. I'm voluntarily getting out of bed at 4:30 AM so The Beast and I can get some quality time.

Interesting about the 3M film. I had never heard of doing that, but from Amazon reviews, wrapping a bike frame in 3M film is a popular option.
Old 07-20-17, 05:36 AM
downeaster59

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX 4

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubm
I can't speak for the Cannondale and Specialized bikes as I have not looked into them due to their higher price points. But a couple wweek ago I tried the 2017 Trek DS2 and the 2017 Giant Roam 2; I ended up buying the Roam 2. These 2 bikes are comparable and have similar ride qualities. However on paper the Roam 2 appears to have better components in my opinion and the price point of Roam 2 is lower too. I was told that Giant has their very own bike factory in Taiwan. However Trek does not but Trek also manufactures in Taiwan.

Overall the Roam 2 is more bike for the money than DS2, but since it is not a big dollar difference it is up to you to try both and see which one seduces you more

I have been riding my 2017 Giant Roam 2 for a couple weeks and I am fully satisfied with its performance. I do road, unpaved trails, and occasionally some light Mountain Bike trails! I was told by the Giant store that the Roam is not suitable for Mountain biking and I should avoid it, however I just can't help it. Obviously I have to limit my speed going downhill in MTB trails and choose my path carefully to avoid large rocks and stumps, however I do no shy away from the very small jumps. So far I have not had any issues!

Good luck.
Last week, I went to an LBS that carries Giant and Cannondale, and told the guy that I was interested in a hybrid bike. I planned to do a mix of riding like yours. He showed me the Quick CX 4, but, oddly, never even mentioned the Giant Roam that I could see right in front of me. They didn't have a Giant in stock in my frame size (L), as it turned out, so I didn't get to test ride one. I did ride the Quick CX 4. I liked it a lot, and got it for a good price ($599). I don't know how the components compare with the Roam, but I've been very pleased with the CX 4. I've heard only good things about the Roam, but if someone goes for the CX 4, they'll have a good bike, too.
Old 07-20-17, 09:44 AM
Bertybert

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam Disc 3 XL

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morning everyone

Just decided to buy a bicycle after 30 years of not owning one.

I picked up a 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc.

Very excited to start riding.
Old 07-20-17, 11:40 AM
LabRat55
LabRat

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 and Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a 2018 Roam 3 Disc recently as well as my starter bike. I really like it so far riding 50-60 miles/week. I will perform all routine maintenance on this bike and take very good care of it....curious to see how long everything lasts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.