Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese Clinchers on Sale?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-28-17, 04:08 PM
hazben1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get a set of 50mm Chinese clinchers, maybe 25mm wide. I like the Yoeleo wheels with the SAT technology. Do the Yoeleo wheels every go on sale? How about the other Chinese wheelsets do they go on sale very often. Maybe Black Friday. Which are the better Chinese clinchers? I certainly can not pay over $500.
Old 08-28-17, 07:33 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
These were about the cheapest I could see on aliexpress last time I looked @ about $300 for the first Novatech hubs. I have no idea if they are any good but they look good.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...460.0.0.VDabEn
Old 08-28-17, 10:01 PM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I have bought from these people. They were the most reasonable at the time and good service.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fact...311.0.0.kqhFXo
Old 08-28-17, 10:59 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
These were about the cheapest I could see on aliexpress last time I looked @ about $300 for the first Novatech hubs. I have no idea if they are any good but they look good.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...460.0.0.VDabEn
Originally Posted by ebow3d
I have bought from these people. They were the most reasonable at the time and good service.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fact...311.0.0.kqhFXo

You get what you pay for, these Aliexpress wheels use inferior rims compared Yoeleo,Farsports. That's why those companies command a higher price. It's all in the rim quality. You take a much bigger gamble with these cheaper wheels. Your basically buying blind. And dont expect any Aliexpress store to uphold any ''warranty'' if anything goes awry. It's hot air. By the time you need to get in contact with them. Their store/page may have dissapeared and they have re-opened under a new name. That's one of the tactics they use avoid any responsibility. If they do respond don't be suprised to be told the problem is user error. But they will gladly sell you some new replacement rims and make more money.

I've bought cheap $300 carbon wheels from an ebay seller called CNcarbon. The basalt brake coating and rim bead edges disintegrated within months. The rims had to be scrapped. On closer inspection,the rims looked like they were made by amatuers and had been slapped together very haphazardly with excess resin and lumpy spots in the rim bed. The basalt coating looked like it was painted on by a blind man. No care taken whatsoever to make the rims look like a quality product. They looked like ****ty prototypes. When i dismantled the wheels i found alot of the spokes were odd lengths and not the correct size they should have been. I would never buy chinese carbon wheels again. Definitely one of the worst cycling purchases i've made.

But if your feeling adventurous, go ahead.

Last edited by trailflow1; 08-29-17 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:44 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
> You get what you pay for, these Aliexpress wheels use inferior rims compared Yoeleo, Farsports. That's why those companies command a higher price.

If that were true I'd still be riding an aluminum Trek with Bontrager wheels from an LBS. I now get everything from China via ebay or aliexpress and have had few problems, and can afford to have a few more before matching the Trek "adventure", slowly oxidising and rusting in the garden.

Last edited by timtak; 08-29-17 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 06:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I like the ebay seller, onlycarbonwheel. Excellent carbon rims. You might want to see what they have.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-29-17, 06:43 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Should check November's website. ~30mm aluminum wheels will be as aerodynamic and have similar weight than those.
Old 08-29-17, 11:02 PM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1
... And dont expect any Aliexpress store to uphold any ''warranty'' if anything goes awry. It's hot air. By the time you need to get in contact with them. Their store/page may have dissapeared and they have re-opened under a new name. That's one of the tactics they use avoid any responsibility. If they do respond don't be suprised to be told the problem is user error. But they will gladly sell you some new replacement rims and make more money...
Really? Based on your experience? I have bought many items on Aliexpress over the last few years with no problems from the sellers at all. They are very concerned about getting positive feedback. Refunds for damaged items have never been a problem.
Old 08-30-17, 03:32 PM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the different wheelsets available and it looks as though they have continued to come down in price. No wonder when I am out riding I see 5 times more carbon fiber wheelsets than just a few years ago.

I would like to get a pair of 50mm deep 25mm wide U-shaped rims in case one day I want to run them on a cyclocross bike. Am I able to run a 25mm tire on a 25 mm rim? Currently I am running a 28mm gp4000 on my 21.5 mm rim and there is barely enough clearance. Obviously with the wider rim I could not run 28mm tires but, could I run 25mm GP4000s on the wider rims.

I noticed Onlycarbonwheel had several different hubs I could order for a little bit more money. In your opinion, is it worth paying extra for the upgraded hubs. If it makes a difference I am a clyde.
Old 08-30-17, 04:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by hazben1
I looked at the different wheelsets available and it looks as though they have continued to come down in price. No wonder when I am out riding I see 5 times more carbon fiber wheelsets than just a few years ago.

I would like to get a pair of 50mm deep 25mm wide U-shaped rims in case one day I want to run them on a cyclocross bike. Am I able to run a 25mm tire on a 25 mm rim? Currently I am running a 28mm gp4000 on my 21.5 mm rim and there is barely enough clearance. Obviously with the wider rim I could not run 28mm tires but, could I run 25mm GP4000s on the wider rims.

I noticed Onlycarbonwheel had several different hubs I could order for a little bit more money. In your opinion, is it worth paying extra for the upgraded hubs. If it makes a difference I am a clyde.
I have only bought rims from them so I am not in position to opine about the hubs. But I think I would improve the specification right up to my predetermined budget and then be done with it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-31-17, 06:23 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious what do want these rims for?
Old 09-01-17, 02:43 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Looking to get a set of 50mm Chinese clinchers, maybe 25mm wide. I like the Yoeleo wheels with the SAT technology. Do the Yoeleo wheels every go on sale? How about the other Chinese wheelsets do they go on sale very often. Maybe Black Friday. Which are the better Chinese clinchers? I certainly can not pay over $500.
Yoeleo had a sale IIRC %20 off last Oct or Nov. I don't think they know "black friday".

scott s.
Old 09-01-17, 09:45 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
Just curious what do want these rims for?
I am wanting to upgrade my Shimano RS-11 wheelset which came on my bike. I really like the look and sound of the carbon rims. I have talked to some folks that really love the performance of carbon fiber wheels. As far as performance gains, I am under no illusion. Losing 50lbs is what is going to get me faster on a bike not a wheelset.
Old 09-01-17, 10:34 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Myself and friends have purchased from aliexpress seller Ridespice with great luck. Bassalt brake surface, chose your hub, spoke, nipple colors... I also have a set of SuperTeam wheels that are a bit lighter. Have had great luck with all of them. Look for extended reviews. Should be able to get a nice set of 50's for $300

I'm hard on wheels.... really hard. I've had many wheels fail with less than 2000 miles and the China carbons have held up very well for me. No issues with over 4000 on my two sets and almost 10000 on one of my friends. We're all over 200 pounds, rough roads and pretty aggressive riding.
Old 09-01-17, 10:35 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am wanting to upgrade my Shimano RS-11 wheelset which came on my bike. I really like the look and sound of the carbon rims. I have talked to some folks that really love the performance of carbon fiber wheels. As far as performance gains, I am under no illusion. Losing 50lbs is what is going to get me faster on a bike not a wheelset.
Not all carbon wheels make that "carbon" sound. Braking.....yes but the shape and spokes seem to make the wind noise. My SuperTeams are the only ones that sound like "carbon" in the wind.
Old 09-01-17, 02:48 PM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Yoeleo had a sale IIRC %20 off last Oct or Nov. I don't think they know "black friday".

scott s.
If I could catch the Yoeleos 20% off I would jump all over it. I like their SAT technology where you don't need rim tape because there are no holes on the inside of the rim. It also is supposed to make the rims stronger.
Old 09-01-17, 04:38 PM
rpenmanparker 

If I could catch the Yoeleos 20% off I would jump all over it. I like their SAT technology where you don't need rim tape because there are no holes on the inside of the rim. It also is supposed to make the rims stronger.
And much harder to repair a spoke is you aren't a specially trained technician with the required tools.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-01-17, 05:26 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is also available from Light Bicycle, and probably others too. I'm sorely tempted by LB's 28mm wide offerings these days.

I have no real need or use for them, and yet they tempt me.

Back, foul hobby! I must ride, not shop!
Old 09-01-17, 09:24 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you can't afford them then why bother?
Old 09-03-17, 07:06 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
And much harder to repair a spoke is you aren't a specially trained technician with the required tools.
My Eastons have a solid rim bed. The nipple threads into the rim and the spoke threads into the nipple. It was actually easier and faster swapping out a broken spoke with these rims than any other wheel I've ever built or fixed. And I didn't even have to take off the tire!
Old 09-03-17, 11:42 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
My Eastons have a solid rim bed. The nipple threads into the rim and the spoke threads into the nipple. It was actually easier and faster swapping out a broken spoke with these rims than any other wheel I've ever built or fixed. And I didn't even have to take off the tire!
That is not the design I was referring too. Sensible. I was referring to the ones where the technician has to move the nipple through the closed channel with a magnet. That is common among Chinese wheels.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-03-17, 12:12 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When buying Chinese carbon wheels, I would only stick with the big names who have tons of feedback on the forums like Far Sports or Yoeleo. With the smaller companies, you are effectively acting as the guinea pig. There is a lot of junk out there when it comes to Chinese carbon. I had a pair of wheels from the ebay seller Carbonzone and rode 1,500 miles on crappy roads on them without a single problem. I was able to haggle down to $500 for a pair with Novatec SL hubs and CX Ray spokes. Braking on those was actually much better than my Zipps.
Old 11-22-17, 05:25 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
This is also available from Light Bicycle, and probably others too. I'm sorely tempted by LB's 28mm wide offerings these days.

I have no real need or use for them, and yet they tempt me.

Back, foul hobby! I must ride, not shop!
My light-bicycle 28mm wide by 46mm deep rims just arrived today. Let the temptation continue. I plan on building these with White Industries CLD hubs and Sapim CX-Sprint front spokes and Force spokes in the rear. I got mine with no brake track because I have disc brakes, but they also will build this with a brake track if you specify it during ordering.

Light-bicycle would build and sell a complete wheelset, but I wanted a drilling and hubs they didn't have, so I got just the rims and will build up the wheels myself.

These are my first carbon rims, but I have to say they look fantastic. Flawless. I had my hopes up that these would arrive and at least appear to be a good product, but I have to admit they look way better than I'd imagined.

I got them with the glossy clearcoat, the black version of their logo (I think of it as ninja mode), and the 3K weave outer layer. You can get them with no logo if you want, but I didn't mind people knowing what wheels they were, I just didn't want the logo to overpower the look of the bike with something huge and bright.

Light-bicycle advertises these rims as weighing 460g +/- 15g. One of them weighed in at .46kg on my fish scale, the other one came in at .47kg, so just as advertised.

Last edited by SethAZ; 11-22-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-23-17, 06:44 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That is not the design I was referring too. Sensible. I was referring to the ones where the technician has to move the nipple through the closed channel with a magnet. That is common among Chinese wheels.
Eek! I'd definitely avoid those.
Old 11-23-17, 07:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Eek! I'd definitely avoid those.
common with fulcrum and campy wheels also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.