Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery CL bike with Cinelli crown fork

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-15-18, 08:39 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 148 Posts

This bike caught my attention when it appeared on the Denver CL today (link). Not my size so I'm taking a pass, but I was wondering what the crowd thought the make was.

Frame is a repaint without decals, and I don't recognize the head badge and expect that it's a one-off.

I see Campy dropouts, fender eyelets, over the BB cable routing, brazed-on cable stop on the chain stay.

It doesn't look like a Cinelli or Windsor to me. Anyone with a guess?

I wish it were about an inch bigger, I'd be sorely tempted.

Old 10-15-18, 10:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

The forum has had this head emblem previously - may have even been the same machine.

Cannot recall if it was identified.

One possibility might be a Torresini product such as ItalVega. The combination of crown, lugs & seat stay treatment is consistent with this maker for this period. Looks to be an early '70's "boomer."

wrt "Cinelli crown" - keep in mind that several manufacturers produced full sloping crowns so not all are Cinelli.

See nothing Cinelli-esque about the frame and agree it is definitely not a Windsor.

------

Last edited by juvela; 10-15-18 at 10:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-15-18, 10:48 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Columbine

Columbine ??? One from the early 70's.

Columbine Cycle Works

Davis sloping fork crown used on a lot of frames and bikes in the UK including Raleighs.

The castings were really cobby and required a lot of work to clean up.

I used them because I liked the graceful appearance better than Chinelli style crowns. It took me several hours to rework this one to thin it down. This is my off road treking bike.

Classic Cinelli sloping fork crowns.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 10-15-18 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 09:11 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
------

Would be interesting here to read input from @MauriceMoss & @mech986.

-----
Old 10-16-18, 09:59 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by verktyg
Davis sloping fork crown used on a lot of frames and bikes in the UK including Raleighs.

I also had a British vibe from what I can see, with no particular reason that I can articulate.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-16-18, 10:22 AM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts
Looks like the rear derailleur could read Pat 81 ?

Not that we know the rear derailleur is original but this might give some insight into the time period

Old 10-16-18, 10:18 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

The above paint scheme, chrome rear stays and rack eyelets would be consistent with an Italvega Nuovo Record, circa 71-73 or possibly a Gran Rally which shared similar characteristics, both with Columbus main frame tubing only. They appear to have painted over any chrome on the seat tube, technically it could also be a Super Record circa 1974-76 but lacking the seat tube chrome sections and that model didn't have rack eyelets. Looks like there is a hint of a brake bridge for an original center pull brake on the rear which would be consistent for the above two models. I agree with Juvela that the lugs and fork crown are very consistent with a Torpado product. If the OP could inquire, the seat post should be a 27.0 mm. Would be interesting to see if the stem and bars (if original) are Cinelli oval badged and shield badged respectively (campione del mundo or giro d'italia). A pic of the underside of the bottom bracket would be helpful to see if it has a 4 digit or *xxxxxx* 6 digit serial number and size identifier stamped on the lug between the chain stays.

The bike is handsome as it appears, well kept, and the upgrades to a triple Campagnolo NR crankset are interesting. May not quite be worth the $650 asking price due to lack of info on the frame (A Super Record or Super Speciale with full Columbus tubing would better). I'm not convinced the bike was repainted because there are a few Italvegas in a subtle light blue metallic that I have seen - I have a Super Speciale in that color and have seen at least two Super Records in a similar color, but all three have chrome stripes on the seat tube and Italvega decals of the era were notoriously fragile.
Old 10-17-18, 06:30 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

I’m now convinced it’s an Italvega. Thank you all for the detective work.
Old 10-17-18, 08:58 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photos in the ad, but it could be a Torpado product.

Looking at the pics at full resolution and considering the rough appearance of the paint on the head tube, I'd say it's most likely a repaint.

The only thing that's making me think it might be something other than an ItalVega is the seat stay caps. I don't think I've ever seen an ItalVega with those long, flat caps. Long, scalloped ones, yes (like on the Superlights and Super Speciales). If anyone has an example of those caps on an ItalVega, I'd love to see a pic.

Verifying the bottom bracket threading and presence of a serial number would help clear things up a bit.
Old 10-18-18, 07:24 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Price is way high, imo.
Old 10-24-18, 02:28 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
It's hard to tell from the photos in the ad, but it could be a Torpado product.

Looking at the pics at full resolution and considering the rough appearance of the paint on the head tube, I'd say it's most likely a repaint.

The only thing that's making me think it might be something other than an ItalVega is the seat stay caps. I don't think I've ever seen an ItalVega with those long, flat caps. Long, scalloped ones, yes (like on the Superlights and Super Speciales). If anyone has an example of those caps on an ItalVega, I'd love to see a pic.

Verifying the bottom bracket threading and presence of a serial number would help clear things up a bit.
Here's pics of my 72 and 73 Italvega Super Speciale bikes. They all have long flat chromed caps on the seat stays. Also, the Super Record of 74-76 has a similar frame with chromed flat caps. Early 70-73 Nuovo Records, Gran Rally, and Gran Turismo models also had long flat painted unchromed seat stay caps.

The long scalloped "Biconal" caps appeared on the 73-76 Superlights and Super Speciales (basically same frame, Superlights had drilled components) and were Pearl White, mist green, mist blue metallic, and mist silver.

Old 08-12-20, 03:52 PM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 60 Posts
Interesting badge on your trekking bike @verktyg - looks like Slovene flag detail to me

Last edited by Kekec1965; 08-12-20 at 03:53 PM. Reason: change text