Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hybrid bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 07:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Hybrid bicycles

Old 10-30-18, 07:17 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Go away. Thanks.
Old 10-30-18, 08:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
This is new to you?
Old 10-30-18, 08:54 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Not new by any means but certainly will get more popular in the future.

I’m curious to see how the E Bikes will eventually change the industry.... or not.
Old 10-30-18, 08:56 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

I’m curious to see how the E Bikes will eventually change the industry.... or not.
They're way too expensive in the current form to be accessible by the general public.

As far as changing the industry, I think you'd get a lot of older riders and casual riders who would be interested. Perhaps commuters too (assuming they have a extremely secure way to store their bike). Otherwise, one of the joys of cycling is the fact that knowing what I did was under my own power.
Old 11-03-18, 02:03 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My e-bike is a hybrid.

I never stop pedalling during riding - as soon as I'm up to speed on a flat I switch to regeneration. I pedal downhill on regen.

Not only do I generate electricity but it gives me more control, especially on wet, leafy MUPs having that friction on the rear wheel whenever I need it is very helpful.

It's a different way of riding, a different experience - it doesn't so much mean I work less, just means I get further for my efforts, and without the frustrations the odd steep ascent brings.

As a long-term keen cyclist I love it, and so would most cyclists I recon. If only they knew by experience instead of critical judgement...
Old 11-03-18, 04:31 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

Go back 100 years and you can see exactly how it all turns out. I really don't get modern ebikes.
Old 11-03-18, 07:09 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by musicmaster
Otherwise, one of the joys of cycling is the fact that knowing what I did was under my own power.
You've hit on one of the reasons I believe eBikes are controversial in cycling circles. We ride bikes specifically _because_ of getting places under our own power. We value the exertion, and using an eBike goes against that very thing that we value. Non-cyclists though, they have none of that baggage.
Old 11-03-18, 03:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
You've hit on one of the reasons I believe eBikes are controversial in cycling circles. We ride bikes specifically _because_ of getting places under our own power. We value the exertion, and using an eBike goes against that very thing that we value. Non-cyclists though, they have none of that baggage.
Excellent point. These are two different classes of bike users: One is a lot less interested in the healthy benefits of cycling and more concerned with fun or transportation. In other words, the cyclist vs someone who uses a bike solely for fun or as a tool.
Old 11-03-18, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just a marketing ploy

Mid Drive electric long travel Full suspension mountain Race bicycle ,
with a motorcycle company brand logo...

Old 11-03-18, 03:51 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
An epiphany!
Old 11-03-18, 06:47 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
My e-bike is a hybrid.

I never stop pedalling during riding - as soon as I'm up to speed on a flat I switch to regeneration. I pedal downhill on regen.

Not only do I generate electricity but it gives me more control, especially on wet, leafy MUPs having that friction on the rear wheel whenever I need it is very helpful.

It's a different way of riding, a different experience - it doesn't so much mean I work less, just means I get further for my efforts, and without the frustrations the odd steep ascent brings.

As a long-term keen cyclist I love it, and so would most cyclists I recon. If only they knew by experience instead of critical judgement...
thanks for posting this
Old 11-03-18, 06:48 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Excellent point. These are two different classes of bike users: One is a lot less interested in the healthy benefits of cycling and more concerned with fun or transportation. In other words, the cyclist vs someone who uses a bike solely for fun or as a tool.
You need to go test ride one. Most of them are peddle assist. You still have to pedal.
Old 11-03-18, 09:53 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burn fat not oil! But where do e-bikes fit into the equation? Hmm..
Old 11-04-18, 04:41 AM
dieth34

Bikes: LA Pro Spectrum 6061

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think E-Bikes have a good future especially in City’s and in Country’s like in Europe where Politicians go against any Vehicles powered by Diesel or Gasoline engines. I myself work at the moment on a Hybrid E-Bike powered by a combination of High energy density capacitor, Li-Ion Battery and Hydrogen Fuel Cell.
Old 11-04-18, 08:50 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
For some folks commuting long distance to work every day is a challenge on a bike. Longer distances require fast road bikes, and those in turn require special gear, cycling shorts, shoes with cleats, jerseys, etc. I was doing it for years, and the whole washing up with baby wipes and hang your gear to dry all over your office routine can get unmanageable. Eventually I was pretty much forced to switch back to my car, after our office was moved to a high rise building.

E-bike allows me to get to work sweat free, and do work out on way home. E-bike can enable people to ride more often, longer distances, more places. E-bike can allow people with permanent injuries to get back into saddle. There is a lot of potential for those bikes.
Old 11-04-18, 12:32 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
For some folks commuting long distance to work every day is a challenge on a bike. Longer distances require fast road bikes, and those in turn require special gear, cycling shorts, shoes with cleats, jerseys, etc. I was doing it for years, and the whole washing up with baby wipes and hang your gear to dry all over your office routine can get unmanageable. Eventually I was pretty much forced to switch back to my car, after our office was moved to a high rise building.

E-bike allows me to get to work sweat free, and do work out on way home. E-bike can enable people to ride more often, longer distances, more places. E-bike can allow people with permanent injuries to get back into saddle. There is a lot of potential for those bikes.
This is the appeal to me. I would LOVE to cycle to work but at 34 miles, if i were even fit enough to do so, it would take ME about three hours. After the I work 24 hours and then come home exhausted the next day. No way am I doing 34 miles half-asleep on a peddle bike. Now, an e-bike where I have help getting over the hills and can go max-assist on the way home....? Tempting. I don't have three grand to drop on one though. Perhaps some day there will be government incentives, like e-cars have now.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 11-05-18, 12:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

You need to go test ride one. Most of them are peddle assist. You still have to pedal.
No thanks. I just have no use for this assistance, and the whole point of riding for me is the workout in a form I enjoy. Why would I want to spend a bunch of money to compromise that?
One of the bikes featured in the article you linked doesn't even have pedals, btw.