Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this a decent frame for a fixed gear conversion?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 01:38 PM
guaps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know very little about building a fixed gear. I've read Sheldon Brown's pages and done some reading here, but I've never done this before. I built my road bike, so I know the basics of newer bikes, but these old frames and components are totally foreign to me. Is this a decent frame to start my fixed gear project? The seller says it's a 1974 Italvega. I really like the lugs and the other chrome work on this thing.
Thanks!!
Old 11-11-08, 01:50 PM
gestalt assault

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it'll work...
Old 11-11-08, 01:50 PM
santaanna's leg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing you have to worry about is finding a bb and a headset that fit it. It doesn't seem that Italvega is in Sheldon Brown's database for those, but maybe you can find them somewhere.
Old 11-11-08, 01:57 PM
kassebaum
el oh el

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if it fits you, and can fit 700c wheels, and the dropouts arnt ****ty, then ya it should be fine.
Old 11-11-08, 01:57 PM
extremenergy3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is some sweet design-age on there... Gonna cop that idea for when I paint my bike
Old 11-11-08, 02:40 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a pretty nice frame (from the pictures), how much is the seller asking for it?

Just remember to budget for new wheels, bb, headset, fork, stem, bars, crank, pedals, chain, seat tube and seat.

Old 11-11-08, 03:04 PM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks good. The dropouts are nice and long, which will give you more ease in adjusting
for a variety of gear combinations.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 11-11-08, 03:05 PM
guaps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
It is a pretty nice frame (from the pictures), how much is the seller asking for it?

He's asking $90, which seems a little steep, but not a total rip off. I just emailed him to see if there is a fork. If there is, I like the frame enough that I think $90 is okay. If not, I may try and get him a little lower.
Old 11-11-08, 03:08 PM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Id buy it for $90, but only if the BB isnt french threaded.
Its a pain in the ass to find a french threaded BB.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 11-11-08, 06:53 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90 without headset and fork? i would pass..
Old 11-11-08, 07:01 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
This is another example of a mediocre frame being passed off as "conversion-worthy" so that some poor sucker will pony up $90 of their hard-earned money. That frame in that condition is worth $20 plus you have to track down all sorts of parts that are hard to find on a good day.

Save the $90 and get together another $210 and get something from Bikesdirect.com
Old 11-11-08, 07:04 PM
yoyosup
Lurker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather spend the extra $100 and go with a brand new kilo tt frameset.
Old 11-11-08, 07:58 PM
bonechiller
RE******

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
This is another example of a mediocre frame being passed off as "conversion-worthy" so that some poor sucker will pony up $90 of their hard-earned money. That frame in that condition is worth $20 plus you have to track down all sorts of parts that are hard to find on a good day.

Save the $90 and get together another $210 and get something from Bikesdirect.com
Except not really anymore. $90 is a little high, but not far off from what frames like that go for now. $20 is what it was worth three or four years ago, before people cared about fixed gear, but for sale in the right area, $90 is probably what it's worth.
Old 11-11-08, 08:32 PM
extremenergy3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonder why the whole frame is beat up except the dropouts. Those look brand new lol Anyway, yeah, good color scheme. Just about to paint my conversion too
Old 11-11-08, 09:20 PM
middy
Ketchup

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Strip the blue paint off. It looks like it's fully chromed underneath.
Old 11-11-08, 09:20 PM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by extremenergy3
Wonder why the whole frame is beat up except the dropouts. Those look brand new lol Anyway, yeah, good color scheme. Just about to paint my conversion too
Because it has been beat up pretty badly and the chrome generally wipes clean. The bike has been neglected, there are a whole host of problems that could present themselves in the future. Of paramount concern would be rust but also, why is there no fork, why is there touch-up paint all over the toptube, downtube and seat-stays...it really isn't worth the hassle.

But maybe I am being picky...
Old 11-11-08, 09:25 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The BB threads look toast from a mile away. So add in another $25+ to get them faced (if not chased). Hopefully the seat binder bolt isn't missing for a reason (stripped?)

If you could get it for half of asking price it might be worth it to strip it to full chrome. Otherwise, pass.
Old 11-12-08, 12:29 PM
guaps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone. Here are some responses to the questions brought up.

-Part of the reason I'm doing this is for the experience of restoring and building a bike myself. I enjoy that kind of stuff. I don't really want a brand new bike. I know it's cheaper/easier/faster to buy a new bike. I've done a lot of work on an older motorcycle and thought it would be fun to do a bike. However, I obviously don't want to buy a frame that will be extremely difficult/impossible to source parts for.

-There is a little rust on the bike and the paint is obviously bad. No dents or dings in the frame.

-There is a fork included. It looks like it's in good condition.

-I'm not married to this frame. I'll move on if this is not worth it.

-Here's a close up of the bb threads. They don't look too bad, but I'm no expert.
Old 11-12-08, 12:50 PM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like it'll make for a great conversion assuming it fits you.

Let the haters hate, but that looks like a great fixer upper. Italvegas were good bikes and chrome head lugs are hot. If it were mine, I'd get a candy blue powdercoat and keep those chrome lugs and stays.

Also it won't have wonky sizes. Just get some calipers and measure to see if you need an Italian or English bb.
Old 11-12-08, 01:01 PM
jotog
Ride simple.

Bikes: vitus 979, g fisher, specialized, trek, bridgestone rb1, Trek SS, Hiawatha SS, 54' Schwinn SS, Trek SS CX conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with huerro. I think it's a beautiful frame that won't have wonky sizes. It's got rockin' lugs and if it fits, it'll probably feel beautiful, too. I say go.
Old 11-12-08, 01:04 PM
jet sanchEz

Get some shots of the heattube, particularly where the toptube and downtube meet.

Is it Italian threaded?

What is the rear spacing?

Shots of fork.
Old 11-12-08, 01:23 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't get me wrong, if it didn't cost $90 it would be fine for a conversion. but the tt and dt are half rust and you're going to have to buy a headset and put it in etc
Old 11-12-08, 01:48 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
$90 is high IMHO, eventhough the frame is pretty cool. If you want to be riding sooner rather than later, and not spend so much $$, go the bikesdirect route. If you want a project that will allow you some "personal expression" and the potential to "spend more money that its worth" (not always a bad thing) this would be a good start on that type of project.

Do you KNOW that this frame is the right size for you? Can you build or can you get non-shop priced labor to help you with this build?
Old 11-12-08, 03:07 PM
guaps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
$90 is high IMHO, eventhough the frame is pretty cool. If you want to be riding sooner rather than later, and not spend so much $$, go the bikesdirect route. If you want a project that will allow you some "personal expression" and the potential to "spend more money that its worth" (not always a bad thing) this would be a good start on that type of project.

Do you KNOW that this frame is the right size for you? Can you build or can you get non-shop priced labor to help you with this build?
I think i'm looking for the second option, personal expression etc. It's OK with me if i can't sell it for what i spent to build it - i just want something unique and fun to ride than i can have fun building over the next couple months.

I'm 99% sure the frame is the right size. I have a road bike I ride a lot and my current frame is a 58. According to the seller, this frame is also 58.

I built and do all my own maintenance on my road bike. I know there's slightly different technology here though, so I will have to learn some things along the way. I don't know much about older parts. I also don't know the difference between french vs italian vs english bb, etc. I have no idea how a fixed gear hub works. But I figure I can learn that stuff as I go - especially with the help of Sheldon. It's all part of the fun...

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else personally that rides a fixed gear, so I'll be relying on boards like this for help along the way too.
Old 11-12-08, 03:17 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guaps
Thanks for all the input everyone. Here are some responses to the questions brought up.

-Part of the reason I'm doing this is for the experience of restoring and building a bike myself.

Restoring would mean bringing back to original condition, new paint, water transfers, proper group, etc.

Slappin' on a track wheel, some new parts and a couple coats of enamel is not the same thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.