Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pulls to the left?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pulls to the left?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 06:39 PM
Prairie Native

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulls to the left?

I have ridden 2 road bikes and both have a slight left hand inclination it seems. I can see more of the right half of the bike than the left while riding. Is it road grade, roads are built to shed water (seems to be there even on flat roads though). Is it the way I ride? One leg shorter than the other???
Old 06-12-10, 06:50 PM
lynch.cr

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2c, 2015 Niner BSB 9 RDO, 2006 Scott Speedster S30

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 bikes, one common rider. I would look internally before blaming it on the bikes.
Old 06-12-10, 06:53 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lynch.cr
2 bikes, one common rider. I would look internally before blaming it on the bikes.
+1

I used to sit kind of crooked on my bike. A teammate pointed it out, and it improved after I started seeing a chiropractor.

Originally Posted by Prairie Native
I can see more of the right half of the bike than the left while riding.
It may just be your dominant eye. I can see more of the right half of mine, but if I close my right eye then I see more of the left...
Old 06-12-10, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could be pushing harder with the left leg.
Old 06-12-10, 09:54 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need a front end alignment
Old 06-12-10, 11:31 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably can't rule out the possibility that you're subtly deformed in some way your parents hid from you, but I'm inclined to think it's the slope of the road near the shoulder. I noticed the same thing 20 years or so ago after I realized my tires wore assymetrically--the left side of the centerline wore out faster than the right. when I tried to figure that out, I realized I was seeing more of the right side of the bike than the left. I was sure there was something wrong with me or the bike. Turned out I lived where it rains a lot, and the roads apparently were sloped more than is customary. I solved the tire wear problem by reversing them on the rims whenever I happened to think of it. Either the problem went away when I moved to the desert, or I just quit noticing it. Haven't even thought of it in years. Didn't cause any trouble anyway.
Old 06-12-10, 11:53 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairie Native
I have ridden 2 road bikes and both have a slight left hand inclination it seems. I can see more of the right half of the bike than the left while riding. Is it road grade, roads are built to shed water (seems to be there even on flat roads though). Is it the way I ride? One leg shorter than the other???
Have you ever been measured?

Sounds like you might be sitting to the right and putting more pressure on that side which would push you left.
Old 06-13-10, 12:31 AM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to clarify I wasnt saying it was the bikes...but thanks for all the advice. im wondering about sitting crooked or something is off with the fit, as my right knee bothers me too.