Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Happy Thanksgiving - Tell us about your rides

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 12:28 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for.

I know some of us will be riding today to help burn off some of the extra calories we'll be enjoying at our Thanksgiving feasts. Some will be riding before the meal, some after. Some will be riding to and from the meal. Others may have to wait a day or two or more to get a chance to ride off the indulgences. Whatever the situation, tell us about your ride. Those who don't indulge on Thanksgiving, good for you, but this thread is for the rest of us.

I joined one of my friends for a 23 mile morning ride today to set the stage for the feasts to come. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/130669094

I won't actually be having the big Thanksgiving meal until tomorrow. We'll be eating at my parents' house tomorrow. My two sons are the only grandchildren in our family. One is working today and the other is marching in the parade in Philadelphia with his high school band. My mother said we can wait until tomorrow when her grandsons can be there. I'll probably ride again today and again tomorrow morning before the actual feast. Then I'll ride Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. If you had ever eaten my mother's holiday cooking, you'd understand why I'll need so many rides to recover.
Old 11-24-11, 12:58 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was sick earlier in the week, and my wife was sick last night and this morning, so that sort of killed our Thanksgiving plans. But I rummaged through the freezer and pantry and came up with a Thanksgiving dinner for me, anyway, turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, muffins for desert. (The muffins were a mix that said "Use before April 2009)", the turkey was a TV dinner, the cranberry sauce was from last year, or maybe the year before- "Best if used by November 5, 2011", etc.) But it was all good!

Meanwhile, I rode around the area and took some pictures.

This is the bike trail I used to ride on all the time. It'd be busy in the summer, deserted in the winter. It's near a road, and now most of my riding is just on the road.

The water sure is down in the little lake. You can see some of the morning fog still there. This lake mainly gets refilled when the creek overflows, and that's been a long time.

The wife sent me off in search of a Sonic that was open this morning. I passed this little statue that I never had noticed before, so I circled back by on the bike for a closer look. You can see the color from a Texas flag at the top. It'll look cool when the leaves are gone, too.

This traffic circle didn't use to be there. Some of the people that went to France for PBP said they were real common there. Maybe somebody brought one back. After I rode through this, I got to thinking, that a semi (IE, moving van) would just have to hop these curbs to get through.

Taken for the "Pictures of your road bike by oddball things" thread in the road forum:

Lone Star Randonneurs' Christmas party is a Skate Party, so I've been down at Texas Skatium skating every Thursday night, which is their Cheap Skate Night. Of course, they'll be closed tonight. But I was there!

(For those not familiar, the old Dallas Cowboys stadium was Texas Stadium, thus the pun.)

I did a double-take as I passed this roadsign. Trim your shrubberies or suffer the consequences!

This fell off somebody's bulldozer, looks like. They'll be out bulldozing away and suddenly discover their thingamabob is missing. I did set it on edge on the curb in hope the owners would spot it. I can't imagine it falling off a trailer without being noticed.
Old 11-24-11, 01:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
I went out for 2 hours by myself. Had 2 group rides to choose from but haven't felt well all week so I opted for a little mtb action.
Later, we are going to see my sister for the first time in quite some time. She's the only family member I see anymore.
Old 11-24-11, 01:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nora and I got out for about an hour. The weather is 66F and glorious, no wind, sunshine. What more could one ask for?

Today, we are going to Skype - for the first time - with my son and daughter-in-law who are in Santa Fe today.
Old 11-24-11, 02:27 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Got in a 40 mile fixed gear ride this morning. Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-11, 03:00 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
14 miler on the bent. It was 47 but felt colder than that. I guess I'm cold-natured.

Two days ago I changed out my spd cleats for no particular reason except new ones came with the A520s I bought for the bent. Pulling up to an unexpectedly busy intersection, I could not clip out on the right. Fortunately I was able to get my left foot out and down before I ate pavement. Of course the bolts on the right cleat had come loose. I carry enough tools in the brain bag to overhaul an engine, so the repair was quick and I was on my way.

Old 11-24-11, 03:27 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy thanksgiving old friends. Been keeping in eye on you from time to time. Only getting in about 70 miles/week right now. The ice will be here soon. No rides today although I almost went out. I decided a nap was wiser. Will ride tomorrow, ski Sat & Sunday so things are still in that in between season.

Have a happy Holiday.
Old 11-24-11, 03:36 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
65 miles yesterday. See Glorious Fall Photos thread. Rode amongst pecan trees among other things.

Today, I rode 37 miles in preparation for Thanksgiving Dinner. I burned a little over 3,700 calories for the two days... hopefully enough to account for today's gluttony.

To complete the makings of a good pecan pie, I rode amongst sugar today. Some has been harvested, some is just coming up, and some awaits harvest.

This patch is awaiting harvest. There is a bike in there.

And here is the finished product. My better half has experimented, quite successfully I might add, with pies in skillets this year. We demolished this one.

There's still cherry pie and lemon icebox pie, but I hurt myself eating. I'll have to let things settle a lit bit before further indulgence.

Part of today's pre-food ride was through Indian Creek Recreation Area/State Forest. It is a peaceful place to ride.

More of Indian Creek.

We weren't the only ones in the area having a Thanksgiving feast. This guy was enjoying a crow.

The local crow population was none too pleased with the hawk, but he didn't seem to care.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Old 11-24-11, 04:11 PM
Langly
Panasonic Platinum member

Bikes: Trek 520, Schwinn Mesa, Mongoose Otero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pics fellas. I need to carry a camera. It's 55 and overcast here. I was looking forward to a nice ride after lunch. We did a simple family lunch today. It was a nice ride until some bozo in a Mazda 6 tried to run me down while on his horn. I guess the other 2 clear lanes weren't enough for him to get by me? HE pull into a neighborhood and I followed him as he pulled up in front of a home. I pull up beside him and ask him if there was anything he would like to tell me face to face. I asked him why he had buzzed me with his horn. This joker then has the nerve to say he could do whatever he wanted and that I should be riding on the sidewalk not the road. After I picked my jaw of the road. I explained I would be on the sidewalk if I were a "pedestrian" not riding a bike. He says what are you going to do about it? The gets up in my face. Then says nothing that's what I thought. I was shocked and honestly surprised that there are people out there like this with drivers licenses. He proceeds to go into his parents house with his take out food. I call the police. While I'm waiting. Bozo's mommy and daddy drive around from the back of the home and ask me what I'm doing. I explain why I'm there. He says that doesn't sound like my boy. Then warns me nothing better happen to my boys car. I just shake me head. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I look at the sons car which was rough and say well it looks like it already has. Mommy and daddy pull down the street. Officer arrives. Dad approaches the officer. Bad idea officer has his hand covering his weapon in a defensive stance and asks him to wait by his car. Officer asks who he is. Dad says his son is in the shower. The officer takes my statement and says he can't do anything because he wasn't there. I thanked the officer for his service and stated I wanted the incident document in case this idiot does injure or kill someone. I returned to my ride and knocked out 10 additional pleasant miles. 17 miles in just over an hour. Time to get ready to be Santa tonight.
Old 11-24-11, 04:26 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I had to be at my daughter's house before noon to help them get everything ready for dinner but I managed a nice 15 mile ride this morning. Here's hoping that all the 50+ members on BF had a very nice Thanksgiving and got in at least one ride for the day.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-24-11, 04:38 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a beautiful sunny day we had!!

I got in a 4.6 mile ride around 4:00 this afternoon. It was 46* with a stiff SW breeze (headwind) but traffic was non-existant. I would have liked to go farther but since I was commuting to the job I decided it would be wise to lock up the old Trek and go into the Plant for the night.

Tomorrow could be interesting commuting, being Black Friday and all. I doubt I'll see much traffic on the ride home at 05:30 a.m., but the ride in tomorrow afternoon could be exciting!!
Old 11-24-11, 05:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
duplicate from Did You Ride?
Got out for a twelve mile ride this morning while my stoker was making pumpkin and butterscotch pies.
Then, after I got the turkey (breast) in the oven, we went out for a ten mile ride on the Screamer.

New content:
The pre-meal tandem ride was a nice relaxed affair through multiple local neighborhoods. A lot of spur-of-the-moment "Turn here" or "Let's go look there" from Captain or Stoker.
Lots of homes with driveway and street packed with cars for T-Giving. We usually go to relatives in Southern Indiana for the day but wife worked yesterday and tomorrow and son worked last night and tonight so we just stayed at home.

Menu: Turkey, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, corn dressing, peas, cranberry sauce, rolls. We'll be having previously-mentioned pies after a bit. Wife made pies and rolls and I made the rest.
Lots of leftovers, which is a good thing sometimes.
This is a four day weekend for me but I think I will forget about that Black Friday thing. Might visit LBS Friday, or might wait till Saturday, as it is a small business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
muppets.jpg (30.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-24-11, 05:49 PM
ZonaM

Bikes: 2008 Trex 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had beautiful weather today in B'ham, Al. I rode 20 miles after a very nice lunch with friends. Tried to get my friend and DH to ride with me. No such luck.
I'd rather ride alone than not at all.
Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-11, 09:06 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Nice shoes, I have the same pair.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!

A little windy today; 24 mph with gust up to 30mph and some rain, only managed a short 11 mile ride. But riding with a tailwind on the flats was really cool, reaching 33mph in the 50x13 @ 107rpm. Even though this was wind aided, it was fun moving that fast. Forgive me if this seems trivial, it's my first season on a road bike and I'm having a lot of fun.

Have a great and safe holiday season!!
Old 11-24-11, 09:23 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving Y'all! I am stuck in a hotel in Montreal until late December for training. Making the best of it..
Old 11-24-11, 09:34 PM
on the path
Seńor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This morning I did a 16 mile loop at a pretty good pace. Anytime I come home sweating when the temps are hovering around 40 degrees, well, that's a pretty good ride in my book...
Old 11-24-11, 09:44 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://i842.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1322192132
Click on the link above to view a pic of my Thanksgiving ride this morning. This is my wife and my little brother on the left. Notice my little brother's Bianchi... I put $300.00 into it for a tune-up (new cables, handle bars, front wheel, tires and tubes, etc... I gave it to him, and this was his first ride on it. 10 miles to the river and back. Little chilly this morning as the temp was around 45 degrees.

Last edited by teachme; 11-24-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 10:13 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An hour of Sufferfest on the trainer. Hoping that maybe Saturday I do a real ride...
Old 11-24-11, 10:28 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
32 miles for me today in nice, sunny 60 degree weather. Had been down a few days with a nasty bronchitis infection and it was great to breathe deeply again.... wow the Prednizone is fine stuff! Winds were between 15 and 30 mph but I loved riding and breathing again with fresh legs to boot! Feasting with family came later and was great too! I am very thankful for a day like today.

Garmin Link for My Ride
Old 11-25-11, 02:52 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got some new Bar Mitts for myself, and haven't had a chance (or need) to try them yet, so I did an early ride with the temps at 33 degrees. Rode on the Mount Vernon trail out to GW's old digs. Bar Mitts are not elegant, but they work. I used my regular fingerless gloves with these and was warm the whole time:

Old 11-25-11, 07:03 AM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Only a relatively lame 7 miles to the grocery store and back, but I made up for the lack of miles by hauling 45 lbs of groceries. Better than nothin'....
Old 11-25-11, 07:26 AM
krankase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode twenty miles. Weather was cool so my time was slow. Looking forward to my first ever group ride today.
Old 11-25-11, 10:39 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Yesterday, Thanksgiving, a friend was going to pick me up at 11:30 for a mid-afternoon Thanksgiving dinner. So my ride was early, starting at 9am when it was 35°F out, but also a rare full-sun day.

I took the Litespeed out for 27 miles through the rolling hills of horse country southeast of the city. Didn't see a single cyclist on the way out, but there were occasional tire tracks through wet spots where the morning frost had melted. What I did see were loads of runners and walkers. Interestingly, it was only we who were out for exercise who had smiles on our faces, and that was universal. Every oncoming car had frowny faces behind the wheel. Even the equestrians I saw were all frowny faces. Not sure what's up with that one.

Heading back to town on Clover St (a state highway and designated bike route), it was cyclists everywhere. I guess as a group, we get out later than runners.

Today, Black Friday, they're calling for clear and mid-50s this afternoon. I think I'll take Blue Steel out on my 30-35 mile "winter" loop up along the lake shore on the northeast side. I can only ride this route between November and March when the bridge across the Irondequoit Bay outlet is in place for road traffic. April to October the bridge is swung away to permit boat traffic to pass. It's all secondary roads with good shoulders through residential areas except for one intersection a quarter-mile from the Baytown Wal-Mart. If I can't make my left there, I'll make a right, go up the street a bit and turn around.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure of the exact route I'll take, but I'm planning to get across the river and to the rural areas southwest of the city. That'll be a longer ride, 50 miles or so, and there's a nice café in the village of Scottsville where I can refuel for the ride home. I can get out there through fairly low-trafficked routes, with the exception of the bridge over the river at RIT, but that has bike lanes.

You might think that on Sunday I'd complete my tour with something to the northwest of the city, but Sunday is my family's Thanksgiving, so I'll be having the second turkey of the weekend. And I need a rest day in here somewhere.

I intend to spend Sunday morning doing winter preparation work on the bikes. They'll all get a bath, lube and anti-seize freshened, and a coat of Bike Lust. Then,
  • The Litespeed will get its Crud RoadRacer MkII fenders installed for the winter. That also means its 25mm front tire gets replaced with its 23mm one. The 25 doesn't fit under the front fender.
  • I have a new set of fenders for YellowBike. The front one has a mudflap and the rear one has a reflector. The old fenders will go to another guy in my building who has a broken rear fender on his 70s era Schwinn. YellowBike is also getting new brake cables and bar tape.
  • The Portland will get its three-season fenders and tires swapped for its winter fenders and its studded snow tires, although from the long-range forecast, they likely won't be needed until possibly next weekend, although probably not for two weeks.

The weather has been extraordinary here this November, which has made for extraordinary cycling. Earlier this week, I blew through my mileage goal for the month--a goal I'd already extended by 50%. I'm making up triple-digit mile shortages from July and August. I could be all caught up by early next week.

Last edited by tsl; 11-25-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 10:54 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usual 10-mile morning ride up and down the hill, saw five other riders.
Unlike last weekend, no avocados to pick up or blue ginger in bloom along the way, and
a little hazy but an OK view of Diamond Head:
Attached Images
IMG_3480.jpg (96.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Pobble.808; 11-25-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 07:38 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I was up late last night lacing and re-lacing a front wheel I'm building for my Salsa. It had been a good while since I built a wheel, so it took me a lot of tries to get the swing of what I was doing. Hopefully the rear will go smoother.

By the time I woke up, it was time to pick up my son, returning from his trip up north to play in the Philly parade. Soon it was time for the family's day-late Thanksgiving feast prepared by my parents.

So, no ride today. Planning to ride Saturday morning before the watching the Georgia vs North Avenue Trade School game on the tube.
Attached Images
A23F2.jpg (99.2 KB, 12 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.