Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does riding with cagers boost your adrenaline?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does riding with cagers boost your adrenaline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 09:53 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Yesterday a gentleman in a pickup truck yelled that I was an a _ _ h o l e for riding on the road.
Yeah that’s kind universal though, my wife calls me that all the time, even when I’m not on my bike.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-23-20 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 03:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Back in the Before Times, when I was commuting to work, four miles of it was on a busy highway; busy enough to be unpleasant, but not busy enough the drivers had to slow down. I had wide, colored shoulder with a rumble strip, but northbound has seven turn-offs, so my mirror was crucial. When I would cross the highway and hop onto the Humboldt Bay Trail I did notice that I rode a couple of mph slower, and attributed it to relaxing. Not an adrenaline rush, but low-level stressful. It's a beautiful ride, and I can hardly wait for the trail to be finished in 2022. No more stress, just pedal into the headwind and enjoy the scenery.
Old 12-23-20, 09:23 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Do you like it? Of course I'd prefer not to be around cars. But when I'm next to tons(literally and numerically) of cars during rush hour my senses are certainly heightened. Isn't that what happens when you take cocaine or meth?
Nah.
It’s more like when you don’t know what you are talking about and post an absurd analogy
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 12-24-20, 01:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It's not "you versus traffic"...You are traffic.

By being able to clearly see traffic approaching from the rear I am able to use hand signals to alert them to my intentions like my desire to change lanes or turn, or waving at them to move away and not get too close, or waving them on ahead. I like to think that signaling to the driver behind you alerts them to the fact that you are now interacting with them, and not just some inanimate obstacle. It doesn't always work, but there was this one intersection with a turn lane I had to cross where cars would come up behind me regularly at 40-45mph. Once I stated wearing a mirror and began holding my left arm out as if to hold back a car from trying to get in front of me, things seemed calmer.

But using video even further, I began reviewing "threatening" incidents and trying to learn what I could have done differently. In many cases just by slowing, or waiting myself, I could have avoided uncomfortable situations. I also had a chance to study where possible "outs" were in case of emergency. You should always be looking for "outs" or places to bail from traffic, whether it's a driveway, a low curb, a shoulder, a median, whatever.

Even with decades of bike commuting behind me there are still moments where imminent disaster suddenly flashes before you and there is that sharp bitter shot of adrenaline that fills your mouth and shocks your circulatory system...I HATE that, and want to avoid it at all costs.

On the other hand, there are adrenaline junkies who thrive on danger and peril.

I, and I suspect you, are not among them.
Well said.

I find communicating with drivers is really helpful. Thinking us all of us sharing the road---me sharing it with them, too---really helps.
Ride enough miles and you might have some scary moments, even without cars around. But ride smart and you can avoid most.
Old 12-24-20, 02:47 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Yesterday a gentleman in a pickup truck yelled that I was an a _ _ h o l e for riding on the road.
Vendrame punched by motorist in road rage incident
Quote from the article
"“I was riding towards Conegliano to head into the hills at about 10:00am. I was inside the white line when a car passed me really close at high speed. Then the driver suddenly hit the brakes, got out and threw a punch at me as I passed,” Vendrame explained."

My guess as to the cause of such incidents, at least partly, is that the animosity towards bicyclists comes from a$$hole militant bicyclists who ride bikes 'to save the Earth' and who act like pricks in city traffic because they are automobile haters. I also ride automobile as most bicyclists do and some bicyclists do raise my ire no end with their arrogant behavior on the road.

Another cause might be if you bike on a road that is imminently not suitable for riding a bike on and you become a PITA and very potential liability for automobile drivers. Still another cause might be some traffic laws aimed to unduly protect the bicyclists (positive discrimination) that have the effect to irritate car drivers and create a animosity between the two. And last don't forget rednecks.

As to the adrenalin, try riding a fixie bike in city traffic. If that still doesn't give you proper fix, leave your brakes at home. I used to do that when I was younger and fearless and I can assure you, your attention will rise hundred fold. For more routine riding or commuting, I'd still recommend at least the front brake. The style 'look ma, no brakes' is suitable only for pure pleasure rides.

Last edited by vane171; 12-24-20 at 03:01 AM.
Likes For vane171:
Old 12-24-20, 02:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Vendrame punched by motorist in road rage incident
Quote from the article
"“I was riding towards Conegliano to head into the hills at about 10:00am. I was inside the white line when a car passed me really close at high speed. Then the driver suddenly hit the brakes, got out and threw a punch at me as I passed,” Vendrame explained."

My guess as to the cause of such incidents, at least partly, is that the animosity towards bicyclists comes from a relatively small number of a$$hole idiot motorists...................
^^^ Fixed that for you.
Old 12-24-20, 03:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
I have personal experience with cocaine and dextroamphetamine and, while I don’t recommend either one except as clinically indicated, I’ll take them over aggressive motor vehicle traffic any day! Pharmacologically, they are thought to exert their effects primarily through the dopamine system. Adrenaline (epinephrine) is less specific and has its most important effects below the neck.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-24-20, 03:38 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I get a far bigger shot of go-juice when I'm riding with other bike riders. Something about competition and who has the biggest VO2max to bring on the pain for everyone else... Cars? I'll never beat em', so I don't even try.
Old 12-24-20, 03:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I spent most of yesterday riding in the passenger seat of a car .... and it did not boost my adrenaline.
Old 12-24-20, 04:09 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by vane171
My guess as to the cause of such incidents, at least partly, is that the animosity towards bicyclists comes from a$$hole militant bicyclists who ride bikes 'to save the Earth' and who act like pricks in city traffic because they are automobile haters.
Possibly ... but think not.

In my limited half-century of road-riding experience, it Seems (no science here, folks ... move along) that most drivers tolerate cyclists, and while they get annoyed and idiot cyclists, they cross paths with, and get both annoyed and Endangered by a lot more idiot motorists. So it would seem reasonable that there would be a lot more incidents of driver-on-driver road rage---but there aren't.

I think the bungholes who endanger or verbally assault cyclists are the same under-hung, over-egoed selfish morons who endanger other drivers as well----just bad people behind the wheel or anywhere else they might be.

I have had people threaten my while i was riding on the extreme edge of two-lane each way roads .... they just didn't think bikes should Ever be on the road. I have had people tell m to get on the sidewalk when there was no sidewalk. I think some people hate cyclists on the road ... and when there are no cyclists, they hate other drivers who don't move over or speed up or just exist in their awareness.

Last night I was driving home from work on a three-lane highway---I was in the fast lane, about six car lengths off the car ahead, going as fast as i could without hitting the car ahead---which makes sense to me./

Some idiot got Right on my bumper---the kind of close where you can't see his headlights---and started flashing his high beams. In his understanding, I had to move out of his way because he wanted to go faster.

Funniest part is, we were speeding towards on of the endless gridlock 5-mph, stop and go gridlocks this road s famous for. He pulled out and passed me and zoomed ahead about 100 yards ... and came to a stop.

I bet if he had driven past me cycling the other way on a surface street he'd have yelled at me.

Some folks ... just not much hope for them.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-28-20, 11:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Do you like it? Of course I'd prefer not to be around cars. But when I'm next to tons(literally and numerically) of cars during rush hour my senses are certainly heightened. Isn't that what happens when you take cocaine or meth?
The term "cagers" can only be used in the Advocacy and Safety forum, and then only in the early 2000s.
Old 12-29-20, 09:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
...If a car is going to pass me before an intersection and I'm doing 20 mph, no way I am going to beat a car doing 40 so I stop pedaling for 5 seconds and let him go ahead and turn while keeping a safe zone distance from the car. Whether it be stay 20 feet back, veer left 5 feet to keep a safety cushion, I do it.

...I find waiting for a clearing to cut across 2 high speed lanes to make a left turn works best.
(To paraphrase Shakespeare) "Discretion is the better part of valor."
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 12-29-20, 10:59 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The term "cagers" can only be used in the Advocacy and Safety forum, and then only in the early 2000s.
I would like to apologize for using the term "cagers". I'm a newbie to this board. I saw it used in a few threads. I had to google it to learn it's meaning. I thought it was part of the biking world forum's lexicon. I was trying to fit in when using the term. I did not understand it was a derogatory term that invokes a negative biking tribalistic undercurrent that benefits no one. I've learned my lesson. If I had to rename the title it'd be, "Does riding along cars energize you?"
Old 12-29-20, 11:40 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
AXXhole is the word I was thinking ...

For the question of what do "cagers" call us. Usually yelled at the top of their voice.
Old 12-29-20, 11:46 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Wise!

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I am traffic and I ride like I know it.
Hate to put this burden on you, UCTT, but your post was very wise. This is the thing that makes all the difference: recognize that "right of way" is never taken, it's always GIVEN. Anyone who rides a bike--just like anyone who drives, sails--should know that just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you have immunity from serious injury. I'm completely in favor of cyclists' rights, and support biking infrastructure, but this trend (that started in a different century) of cyclists believing they have some sort of superior rights, is just insane to me.

In some way it's a self-limiting problem. The people who go head to head with cars and trucks intentionally aren't going to be around for long.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-29-20, 09:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I would like to apologize for using the term "cagers". I'm a newbie to this board. I saw it used in a few threads. I had to google it to learn it's meaning. I thought it was part of the biking world forum's lexicon. I was trying to fit in when using the term. I did not understand it was a derogatory term that invokes a negative biking tribalistic undercurrent that benefits no one. I've learned my lesson. If I had to rename the title it'd be, "Does riding along cars energize you?"
Hey, no harm, no foul. I was mostly trying to be funny, not critical. But what you write above I tend to agree with, so I guess there was a little snark in my comment.