Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 01-01-21, 12:13 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
2020 tried one last time to get me. Skiing in bounds (but double black area) on Mt Hood I triggered an avalanche that buried me to my forehead. I spent about 20 min trapped in the snow unable to move until someone heard my yells for help, saw the tip of my helmet poking out and dug me out. Never been scared like that before. 20201230_Heather Canyon - Northwest Avalanche Center (nwac.us)

Have a happy, safe year everyone.
Yikes! Be well in 2021!
Old 01-01-21, 06:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
2020 tried one last time to get me. Skiing in bounds (but double black area) on Mt Hood I triggered an avalanche that buried me to my forehead. I spent about 20 min trapped in the snow unable to move until someone heard my yells for help, saw the tip of my helmet poking out and dug me out. Never been scared like that before. 20201230_Heather Canyon - Northwest Avalanche Center (nwac.us)

Glad you are here to tell the story. Do you carry a beacon/locator?
Old 01-01-21, 07:30 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I carried a beacon in the past when back country skiing, but not in bounds in a ski area. The beacon I had is too old to be useful since technology has changed. The biggest lesson is that I definitely shouldn't have been skiing alone in this area, though many people do.
Likes For cmh:
Old 01-02-21, 06:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I did a little ride up Rampart Range Road closed to cars. Some snow, some ice. I used these for the first time. cx tubulars (not UCI legal) on the pit bike I bought from my son. It was a lot of fun.
Not that I was racing, but if I was...sometimes it really is the equipment, especially on those icy corners. Steel is real.

Pikes Peak. Wife was sliding a bit. She didn't want spikes.

Last edited by Doge; 01-02-21 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 01-02-21, 09:35 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I think it would be more appropriate if baby Doge posted the ride report for you.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-02-21, 11:03 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I carried a beacon in the past when back country skiing, but not in bounds in a ski area. The beacon I had is too old to be useful since technology has changed. The biggest lesson is that I definitely shouldn't have been skiing alone in this area, though many people do.
Damn dude that's wild! Sounds like it was all inbounds and not even slack country. Avys and tree wells are things I have nightmares about and the snow rarely gets that deep out my way.

Glad you're okay. Man.
Old 01-03-21, 10:08 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh

That's crazy scary, glad you made it. You'd think you'd be safe in bounds in a ski area.
Old 01-03-21, 05:39 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Damn dude that's wild! Sounds like it was all inbounds and not even slack country. Avys and tree wells are things I have nightmares about and the snow rarely gets that deep out my way.

Glad you're okay. Man.
Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's crazy scary, glad you made it. You'd think you'd be safe in bounds in a ski area.
Thanks guys. Avalanches are definitely worthy of nightmares. I've been doing 'adventure sports' all of my adolescent and adult life including bike racing, mtn biking, backpacking, rock climbing, mountain climbing, sking, back country skiing and kayaking. This is the first time I was in a situation where I thought my chance of survival was much less than 50%. I was very lucky to come out of that one.

Last edited by cmh; 01-03-21 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 06:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by cmh
Thanks guys. Avalanches are definitely worthy of nightmares. I've been doing 'adventure sports' all of my adolescent and adult life including bike racing, mtn biking, backpacking, rock climbing, mountain climbing, sking, back country skiing and kayaking. This is the first time I was in a situation where I thought my chance of survival is much less than 50%. I was very lucky to come out of that one.
I can't say I've been quite that bad, but I have been in a situation also involving snow and being alone that was probably the closest I've come. Snow and cold is dangerous.
Old 01-03-21, 09:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I think it would be more appropriate if baby Doge posted the ride report for you.
Cute :-)

This was my frst forum where people posted about themselves. I had maybe 20K combined posts for college football, soccer, and rowing where it is rare that athlete is the poster. Since BF I do post about my audio stuff (AudioKarma) and my knives (BladeForums).
Old 01-04-21, 07:10 AM
Flatballer
No matches

If your metrics are set up to incentivize workers and managers to lie, you're not getting any worthwhile metrics.

FedEx constantly lies about making deliveries around here. USPS does occasionally, but FedEx it's probably 50% of the packages they scan as delivered before they deliver them. Have some Christmas flowers coming, for today, they say they were delivered to the front door at 11am. It's 830pm and they're nowhere to be seen. I don't even blame the drivers, I'm sure they're basically required to show that "everything was delivered on time" even if that's literally impossible and their managers know it's literally impossible.

If everyone fakes their metrics and their tracking, you have no data at all. It's all useless and can't be trusted. I see this same thing constantly in business.
​​​​​
Flowers showed up a couple days later. So it wasn't that they delivered them to the wrong address.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 01-06-21, 09:43 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Disney, Steinberg style.

We ate most of our meals at the campground. Avoided the parks. Had a pretty good time. Going to do it a week a month through the winter. Solid wifi...wife can work right at the campground.

Old 01-07-21, 11:12 AM
furiousferret

I just had a bone graft on my jaw, I got a tooth knocked out 6 years ago and am getting a post put in. Unfortunately I need bone before they put in the post.

For some reason I did not think it would be a big deal, but my mouth is completely swollen like a chimpanzee and I can only eat soft foods for 6 weeks. It will be nice though having my front tooth back. I have to take it out when eating which means I have been avoiding social events because I did not like to take the tooth out to eat in front of people.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-07-21, 11:36 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Had to have that done to put a post in, wasn't enough bone to attach to. It was brutal. Sorry you're in for a rough little while. I don't remember soft food for 6 weeks, but I was young, so it's likely I healed faster, plus my memory is ****.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 01-07-21, 03:02 PM
cmh

Sounds terrible FF. Hope you heal quickly.
Likes For cmh:
Old 01-07-21, 03:31 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I just had a bone graft on my jaw, I got a tooth knocked out 6 years ago and am getting a post put in. Unfortunately I need bone before they put in the post.

For some reason I did not think it would be a big deal, but my mouth is completely swollen like a chimpanzee and I can only eat soft foods for 6 weeks. It will be nice though having my front tooth back. I have to take it out when eating which means I have been avoiding social events because I did not like to take the tooth out to eat in front of people.
In general wounds around the mouth heal really fast. I suspect it will feel significantly better in just a few days, but of course the bone won't be done healing.

My two front teeth are fake (thanks skateboarding). I didn't need a bone graft but did have the posts shoved in.

I've re-broke one of them 6 times in the last 35 years or so (mostly in my teenage years). My dentist now wants to replace it with some better material but I figure I'll just wait until I break it again.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 01-08-21 at 12:03 AM.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 01-07-21, 03:53 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
In general wounds around the mouth heal really fast. I suspect it will feel significantly better in just a few days, but of course the bone won't be done healing.

My two front teeth are fake (thanks skateboarding). I didn't need a bone graft but did have the posts shoved in.

I've re-broke one of them 6 times in the last 35 years or so (mostly in my teenage years). My dentist now wants to replace it with some better material but I figure I'll just wail until I break it again.
Top or bottom? My middle two in the bottom are fake, on one post. I just didn't have the adults. Lost the baby teeth, and nothing behind them.
Old 01-07-21, 04:35 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Top or bottom? My middle two in the bottom are fake, on one post. I just didn't have the adults. Lost the baby teeth, and nothing behind them.

Funny, I had one extra adult tooth. Lost the baby tooth, first adult, a second adult came in, then I broke it, and then 6 replacements so far. I guess I'm on tooth ten now. LOL

The natural teeth were a bit rotated so the replacement(s) actually look better.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 01-20-21, 06:46 PM
Flatballer
No matches

So I've been playing my guitar again for a couple weeks, and singing some.

And of course I'm immediately looking at audio interfaces and mics so I can record stuff for my wife...

Because I can't possibly just play guitar for a while without spending $600 on equipment. I'm dreaming of a MOTU M4 audio interface and a couple decent condenser mics so my wife and I can both record mics and guitars at the same time in the future.

Plus it gets me a midi in out so we could use our piano or I could get tones in and out of my Flextone amp.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 01-21-21, 12:39 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
So I've been playing my guitar again for a couple weeks, and singing some.

And of course I'm immediately looking at audio interfaces and mics so I can record stuff for my wife...

Because I can't possibly just play guitar for a while without spending $600 on equipment. I'm dreaming of a MOTU M4 audio interface and a couple decent condenser mics so my wife and I can both record mics and guitars at the same time in the future.

Plus it gets me a midi in out so we could use our piano or I could get tones in and out of my Flextone amp.
Personally, I just use a behringer um2 audio interface and just use amp sims on my PC. I don't even own an amp right now. Then again, I have about as bottom of the barrel stuff as you can get, I have a $30 fender starcaster acoustic, a no-name strat copy that was $35 new on ebay, and a used harley benton les paul copy I got used for $30 (this one is by far my favorite, I used to have an epiphone les paul in my 20's which I sold to buy camera gear, but I loved that thing). I've been playing higher gain rock, and I have some free amp sims (amped roots being one of them) that I really like. I'd check out neural DSP, they make a lot of high quality stuff, it's kind of aimed at higher gain folks, but there's a lot of versatility with the tones.
Old 01-21-21, 01:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Personally, I just use a behringer um2 audio interface and just use amp sims on my PC. I don't even own an amp right now. Then again, I have about as bottom of the barrel stuff as you can get, I have a $30 fender starcaster acoustic, a no-name strat copy that was $35 new on ebay, and a used harley benton les paul copy I got used for $30 (this one is by far my favorite, I used to have an epiphone les paul in my 20's which I sold to buy camera gear, but I loved that thing). I've been playing higher gain rock, and I have some free amp sims (amped roots being one of them) that I really like. I'd check out neural DSP, they make a lot of high quality stuff, it's kind of aimed at higher gain folks, but there's a lot of versatility with the tones.
Yeah, the midi for the Flextone tone updates is mostly just icing. The UM2 looks like it would be fine for just me, but I'd like to record my wife and I together eventually, on separate channels, which I couldn't do with a 2x2. I need 4 channels (2 guitar, either direct or from the amp, and then 2 mics).
Old 01-21-21, 08:27 PM
furiousferret

So my guilty habit is playing the lottery. Everyone tells me how dumb it is, usually while they are consuming some vice that costs 3x more.

Anyway, my wife called me and said someone won $600,000 at the store I buy them, so I waited for her to get home before I checked. Lets just say if I did win, this is the last thing I'd post about. While that's not a life changing amount it would have made our life a bit more comfortable.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-22-21, 07:10 AM
Flatballer
No matches

So my guilty habit is playing the lottery. Everyone tells me how dumb it is, usually while they are consuming some vice that costs 3x more.

Anyway, my wife called me and said someone won $600,000 at the store I buy them, so I waited for her to get home before I checked. Lets just say if I did win, this is the last thing I'd post about. While that's not a life changing amount it would have made our life a bit more comfortable.
The worst outcome is basically that you're donating to your state for the less fortunate. Since you're able to afford that, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with you playing. You realize the odds, you're in control, you enjoy it, you're literally the model for someone who should be playing the lottery.

The people who shouldn't be playing the lottery are the ones who don't have the money to spare to start with, play more than they can afford, are relying on it for their retirement, etc. Unfortunately they make up a large percentage of the money coming in.

When I used to work in an office (one job and one global pandemic ago) they'd play weekly, and I'd usually toss a few bucks in the pool when it got high enough that the odds sort of worked (still not really, because of splits).
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 01-22-21, 12:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
The worst outcome is basically that you're donating to your state for the less fortunate. Since you're able to afford that, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with you playing. You realize the odds, you're in control, you enjoy it, you're literally the model for someone who should be playing the lottery.

The people who shouldn't be playing the lottery are the ones who don't have the money to spare to start with, play more than they can afford, are relying on it for their retirement, etc. Unfortunately they make up a large percentage of the money coming in.

When I used to work in an office (one job and one global pandemic ago) they'd play weekly, and I'd usually toss a few bucks in the pool when it got high enough that the odds sort of worked (still not really, because of splits).
I worked with a guy who played the various lotto options 3 or 4 times per week. He always had a pool going for the bigger games and sometimes I would chip in a couple dollars but he was relentless. I know he put in at least $200 a month and if he hit some small payout he would be very proud. The weirdest part was that he was convinced he was going to win big eventually.
He was financially pretty well off which made it surprising that he was so consumed by it. Maybe he just needed a hobby.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-22-21, 04:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Anyone have any tips for road shoes? I bought a set of very lightly used old Sworks for about 180 recently and they just didn't work for me. I found them in the UK so had to pay shipping etc. TLDR lost some money on them but figured it was worth a shot. Lesson learned.

Local sponsor-ish shop stocks specialized mostly. They can't get the SWorks 7 but can get the Sworks Vent or the Ares. The Ares seems like it's just too out there boogie for me, but the vent looks like it might work. Anyone have them? Any issues with durability etc? I guess I could just tape the vents shut in the winter and/or wear my toe covers earlier if necessary... Mostly don't want to have to pay a ton for shoes again for atleast a couple of years.

Realistically if it's actually pretty cold out, I'll either be indoors or riding the gravel bike if that thing ever gets finished.

TLDR: Thoughts on the sworks shoes? The 7's aren't in stock but I can get the Vent or Ares for a little bit more.

Originally Posted by big john
I worked with a guy who played the various lotto options 3 or 4 times per week. He always had a pool going for the bigger games and sometimes I would chip in a couple dollars but he was relentless. I know he put in at least $200 a month and if he hit some small payout he would be very proud. The weirdest part was that he was convinced he was going to win big eventually.
He was financially pretty well off which made it surprising that he was so consumed by it. Maybe he just needed a hobby.
It plays out just like addiction at a certain point. You get dopamine when you get a little payoff and then you keep at it to seek that thrill again.
Likes For ridethecliche:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.