Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM disc brake rubbing - need bleeding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-16-21, 10:26 AM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I recently built up a 2020 Supersix evo HM with a new SRAM Red group. (First generation monoblock calipers). I obviously cut the brake hoses for the internal routing and installed new barbs, etc. I was expecting to have to bleed the brakes, but as i was setting up the bike, the brakes felt great - not spongy and braking strong. They do sound 'rough' though, but i assume thats because of new pads. - So i didn't bleed them.

Anyways, no matter how much i adjust the caliper position, i cant get them to stop rubbing ever so slightly. It's only i a little bit, but being anal, and just having built up the bike, it's annoying that it's not perfect. The rotors are not bent.

I wonder if the lack of bleeding could cause the pistons to not retract fully? There's almost no gap between pad and rotor.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-16-21, 05:26 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
I had similar problems with my Force build last year. Take piece of paper and put it on the ground under the wheel. It'll help you see the gap on either side of the rotors. Adjust from there.
I dont believe bleeding will have any effect on the return of the piston.
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-16-21, 05:32 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
I recently built up a 2020 Supersix evo HM with a new SRAM Red group. (First generation monoblock calipers). I obviously cut the brake hoses for the internal routing and installed new barbs, etc. I was expecting to have to bleed the brakes, but as i was setting up the bike, the brakes felt great - not spongy and braking strong. They do sound 'rough' though, but i assume thats because of new pads. - So i didn't bleed them.

Anyways, no matter how much i adjust the caliper position, i cant get them to stop rubbing ever so slightly. It's only i a little bit, but being anal, and just having built up the bike, it's annoying that it's not perfect. The rotors are not bent.

I wonder if the lack of bleeding could cause the pistons to not retract fully? There's almost no gap between pad and rotor.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
This happens to me occasionally after replacing pads. What I do is clean the pistons (there are many authoritative videos) if I think they’re hanging, or go for a ride and try aligning the calipers again. Failure to purge the system of air shouldn’t cause this.

And what Is01 said.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-16-21, 11:20 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
There are o-rings around the brake piston - which hold the fluid from leaking out.

When the piston is pushed out, it "rolls" the o-ring. When pressure is released, the piston is retracted by the o-ring returning to its original position.

If there is debris on the piston it can prevent it from retracting into the bore as it can wedge the piston in the out position.

Note: Motorcycle and car rotors will kiss the pads as they rotate in their "relaxed" position. You can hear it when spinning the tire unloaded.
Likes For masonv45:
Old 01-16-21, 11:20 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
There are o-rings around the brake piston - which hold the fluid from leaking out.

When the piston is pushed out, it "rolls" the o-ring. When pressure is released, the piston is retracted by the o-ring returning to its original position.

If there is debris on the piston it can prevent it from retracting into the bore as it can wedge the piston in the out position.

Note: Motorcycle and car rotors will kiss the pads as they rotate in their "relaxed" position. You can hear it when spinning the tire unloaded.
Old 01-17-21, 10:07 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Glitch in the matrix
Old 01-18-21, 09:30 AM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I spent some more time adjusting with a tad thicker paper on one side of the rotor than the other - that worked out in the end.
I have another bike with Force AXS, that has the newer two-piece calipers (same as later Red AXS), they seem to have slightly more space between pad and rotor. (might just be a visual trick)
Old 01-18-21, 09:54 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Thanks for the replies!

I spent some more time adjusting with a tad thicker paper on one side of the rotor than the other - that worked out in the end.
I usually use business cards if the disc is true, and it still rubs,