Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 10:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Pics?

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-17-21, 10:45 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Your FTP is calculated by the game. It’s NOT the same as your average power for the ride.
Oh, I think I see, what you are saying is it is just my ftp.

I took it to be saying. My ftp had gone up. AND. My average wattage had gone up to 242 watts.
But it is saying my ftp is now 242 watts?
Old 01-17-21, 10:56 AM
ls01
he said member

Something else. I dont even really want to broach this subject, but it was blatant. A guy I was riding with. Who I am faster than irl. Was on the front the entire time. I could get next to him but not pass him. I hit him with 7 watts/kg while he was @ 2 watts/kg. For me that's just shy of 800 watts.... nada. Even on the downhil with my (ahem) "advantage " I got in front of him once for a second or 2 then off he went again.
I suspect something was going on electronically. Perhaps some info manipulation. The math sure didn't add up.
Old 01-17-21, 11:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Oh, I think I see, what you are saying is it is just my ftp.

I took it to be saying. My ftp had gone up. AND. My average wattage had gone up to 242 watts.
But it is saying my ftp is now 242 watts?
You have to find your FTP in your profile.
Old 01-17-21, 11:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Something else. I dont even really want to broach this subject, but it was blatant. A guy I was riding with. Who I am faster than irl. Was on the front the entire time. I could get next to him but not pass him. I hit him with 7 watts/kg while he was @ 2 watts/kg. For me that's just shy of 800 watts.... nada. Even on the downhil with my (ahem) "advantage " I got in front of him once for a second or 2 then off he went again.
I suspect something was going on electronically. Perhaps some info manipulation. The math sure didn't add up.
Tough to diagnose. There are group rides and meetups that the leader can set to keep everyone together regardless of effort. That’s one possibility.
Old 01-17-21, 11:14 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I like to eat. That doesn't mean I am going to enter the Nathan's hot dog eating contest.
But to accomplish the feat (as opposed to set the record) you don't have to eat all the hot dogs in ten minutes.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
1) Did the crew do something wrong that it flipped over? Or is that something that just happens every now and then?

2) How does such a boat not normally sink when it rolls over?
Old 01-17-21, 11:16 AM
ls01
he said member

Tough to diagnose. There are group rides and meetups that the leader can set to keep everyone together regardless of effort. That’s one possibility.
Sure, and this was supposed to be one of those rides. However he didn't have any problem just riding away off the front. He did it a couple of times. I rode myself into a headache chasing him down a couple times. But no matter what I did I could not get past him. It was very frustrating, to the point that it wasn't fun. Like I said it was blatant.
Old 01-17-21, 11:21 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
But to accomplish the feat (as opposed to set the record) you don't have to eat all the hot dogs in ten minutes.
Now you're really reaching.The record is 75 hot dogs. At the rate I eat hot dogs it would take me years to eat 75. Does that count?

I can climb 30,000 feet on my bike in a few weeks at a relaxed pace. Is that Everesting? Of course not.

When people do these extreme, absurd things the time involved is a key factor. It's the time that makes it notable, makes it even worth mentioning.
Old 01-17-21, 11:24 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
Went for a nice tramp (hike) on the weekend . . . Good trip though. Got to tick another hut off my list.

typical old musterers hut.
Funny that you used that word . . . ticks are the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture. #yikes #shudder #lymefetish
Old 01-17-21, 11:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Velo Vol doesn't care about the NFL playoffs, now that the Football Team is out.
Fixed . . . and who cares what he thinks.
Old 01-17-21, 11:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

1) Did the crew do something wrong that it flipped over? Or is that something that just happens every now and then?

2) How does such a boat not normally sink when it rolls over?
The knowledge base on how to sail those things is pretty thin, so who knows? Boats get knocked down from time to time, but the flying part when a puff gets under the boat is strictly a foiling thing and I know nothing about it.

The boat is presumably built with enough flotation to stay up when the hull hasn’t asploded. It was probably paper thin in the area where it blew out.
Likes For MoAlpha:
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
So zwifters, I have a question.
2 group rides in a row, at the conclusion of the ride zwift says congratulations you raised your ftp and set a new average wattage this last time was 242 watts ave. But, then I look at strava 220 watts. I dont get it. Watts going on here?
Dunno. Median vs mean?

If I look on ZwiftPower, the results are just for the route, start to stop. On Strava, it's from when I joined the ride until I stopped. So ZwiftPower has average watts at 195, whereas Strava has 188, but also more distance, because I took about 5 minutes of cool down ride, plus the 4 minutes in the starting pen warming up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
BillyD
Administrator

I like to eat. That doesn't mean I am going to enter the Nathan's hot dog eating contest.
Good one.
Old 01-17-21, 12:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Had a good but chilly ride.

My drivetrain skipping problem persists. I discovered after paying more attention that the skipping chain is on the FRONT chainring. It might be worn, it likely has 35K miles on it. I do have a spare new chainring on the pegboard, and if that does not solve the problem I may have to throw in the towel and take it to a real mechanic.
I thought there was no problem with the RItchey's chainrings, till I got a new 9/10 speed small ring to replace the 8 speed one*, and got a new large ring just to complete the set. I could tell the difference immediately. New chainrings, new cassette, new chain - then it all worked like a charm.

* I read a number of posts on 8-10 conversion that said you need to change the small ring so the narrower 10sp chain doesn't fall into 'no man's land' between the rings, and a bunch of posts saying that's nonsense. Turns out it happened a couple times. The chain didn't jam or anything, just sat there in the gap, not on the big ring but not yet on the small. t would generally fix itself after a few crank rotations, but still.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-21, 12:31 PM
ls01
he said member

Ok. Found it. Ftp is now 244 watts acourding to zwift.
also actual weight loss has begun. That took weeks to get going this time.
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-17-21, 12:35 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Funny that you used that word . . . ticks are the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture. #yikes #shudder #lymefetish
no ticks here. not a problem.
Old 01-17-21, 12:38 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
What’s inside? Looks like one of those “Tiny House” things mrs datlas is always watching on TV.

Inside Cookies Hut.
There is also a stainless steel topped bench to the left of the fire and a couple of other bunks. basic but all you need.

Artwork and mustering gangs on the back of the door.
Likes For gnome:
Old 01-17-21, 12:54 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8833 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The knowledge base on how to sail those things is pretty thin, so who knows? Boats get knocked down from time to time, but the flying part when a puff gets under the boat is strictly a foiling thing and I know nothing about it.

The boat is presumably built with enough flotation to stay up when the hull hasn’t asploded. It was probably paper thin in the area where it blew out.
sounds like the speed is greater than the aerodynamic capabilities of boat builders. Similar to NASCAR when they had to use restricted plates to keep horsepower and speed down. They did that so the cars didn't begin to take off and get airborne at 212 MPH. see Elliot, Bill.
https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...-sport-forever

Last edited by DougRNS; 01-17-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-17-21, 01:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by DougRNS
sounds like the speed is greater than the aerodynamic capabilities of boat builders. Similar to NASCAR when they had to use restricted plates to keep horsepower and speed down. They did that so the cars didn't begin to take off and get airborne at 212 MPH. see Elliot, Bill.
The thing is explicitly designed to fly, i.e., “foil” at as low a speed and in as little breeze as possible and hull aerodynamics is quite a new thing. The problem is, a big foiling monohull also has to have enough “form stability” to resist the rotational force of the wind and stay upright while sailing in displacement mode without a ballasted keel. That requires a very wide and shallow hull shape at the stern, which, I assume, makes it unstable in gusts.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-17-21 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-17-21, 01:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
So zwifters, I have a question.
2 group rides in a row, at the conclusion of the ride zwift says congratulations you raised your ftp and set a new average wattage this last time was 242 watts ave. But, then I look at strava 220 watts. I dont get it. Watts going on here?
There are a few different figures out there to confuse yourself with - there's your Average Power, there's Weighted Average Power and there's your Normalized Power.

Average is pretty self-explanatory and I never really see it differ from one service to another (Garmin, Wahoo, Strava, Zwift, etc)

Weighted Average and Normalized are similar to each other, but are calculated a little differently. Basically, they give you more credit for higher output efforts because they're more physiologically challenging. Say, for instance, that on one ride, you put in a TT effort with a steady 220w. Average, Weighted and NP are all going to be very close because it was steady power the whole time. Now imagine a crit with an average power of 220w, but where you're doing everything from sitting on wheels to chasing down breakaways all before uncorking a monster sprint at the end. Because of those really tough, punchy efforts, your Weighted/Normalized Power is going to be much higher than your Average - maybe 260 or 280 or whatever.

What I've seen is that Weighted Average, which is one figure that Strava uses, tends to be a little lower than Normalized Power (like on Intervals.icu and elsewhere). So yeah, a big part of the confusion is just being aware that there are different figures out there for various reasons.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-17-21, 01:31 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Now you're really reaching.The record is 75 hot dogs. At the rate I eat hot dogs it would take me years to eat 75. Does that count?

I can climb 30,000 feet on my bike in a few weeks at a relaxed pace. Is that Everesting? Of course not.

When people do these extreme, absurd things the time involved is a key factor. It's the time that makes it notable, makes it even worth mentioning.
No. Because a big part of the Everesting challenge is not that it requires super-human strength/endurance, but because of the tediousness of going up and down the same hill for 13 hours or whatever.

I know a guy who did it last summer. He rides a lot, but is hardly a world-class athlete.

Originally Posted by BillyD
Fixed . . . and who cares what he thinks.
How are the ratings this year?
Old 01-17-21, 01:34 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Got my wheels torqued down and as I am putting the rear wheel on I notice the smallest cog has a wobble in it when I spin the wheel. Is the normal?
Old 01-17-21, 01:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
No. Because a big part of the Everesting challenge is not that it requires super-human strength/endurance, but because of the tediousness of going up and down the same hill for 13 hours or whatever.
Incorrect.
Old 01-17-21, 02:34 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Got my wheels torqued down and as I am putting the rear wheel on I notice the smallest cog has a wobble in it when I spin the wheel. Is the normal?
you might get a little but I would take it back if its that noticeable. He probably botched the location of the smallest cog.
Get yourself a chain whip, (or make one) and a locking tool. That and a big crescent wrench is all you heed to fix it yourself next time.
Old 01-17-21, 02:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

I know a guy who did it last summer. He rides a lot, but is hardly a world-class athlete.
Let's have an Everesting event where you have to eat a Nathan's hot dog at the top of each climb.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.