Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals for a skinny 10 year old?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 04:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

We're thinking of getting a tandem and would like my son to have clipless pedals for that. I got him some shoes, threw on some cleats, dialed down the spring tension on my SPD-SL pedals, and had him try to step into them. As best as I could see, he had them lined up correctly, but even standing with his entire 58lb on the pedal, they would not engage. Anything else I can do before I go to plan B (which is SPD mountain bike pedals)?
Old 01-15-21, 04:34 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
WD 40 everything, make sure it it clean.

I know worn cleats can engage more easily, not sure I would recommend wire brushing the cleats to round edges.

BTW cool that you are getting your little one into this at such a young age.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 01-15-21, 04:41 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Get the SPD pedals

My grandson was about the same weight when we put him in SPD pedals. No problem getting in or out on the tandem. Sounds like you are really set on getting him in the road pedals. I think you would find the SPD pedals easier for him to use and an added plus is that they are easier to walk in.
Likes For Pridedog:
Old 01-15-21, 04:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
WD 40 everything, make sure it it clean.

I know worn cleats can engage more easily, not sure I would recommend wire brushing the cleats to round edges.

BTW cool that you are getting your little one into this at such a young age.
Thanks! I'm thrilled to have a riding partner.
The pedals are well maintained, just took them off my own bike and put on his to try clipping in and out, and I used an old pair of cleats I keep as a spare set, but didn't use any WD40. I'll try that.
Old 01-15-21, 04:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Pridedog
My grandson was about the same weight when we put him in SPD pedals. No problem getting in or out on the tandem. Sounds like you are really set on getting him in the road pedals. I think you would find the SPD pedals easier for him to use and an added plus is that they are easier to walk in.
Not hell bent on road pedals, but thought they were a logical choice since he seems to like the idea of doing a triathlon some day. I do have a set of MTB pedals and cleats laying around though, so it won't take much to convince me to go that route for now. Thanks for giving me info from a real life experience!
Old 01-15-21, 07:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
He is 10 and on a tandem...running shoes would be more than fine. But if you want him to want clipless, then why not SPD? A quality sole and SPD will be more than stiff enough for a 10 year old.
SPD will be easier to walk in, stiffer than needed, and easier to engage.

As for youth triathlons- I've been to a 3 of them now and SPD will not hold a 10yo back in any way compared to SPD-SL. There are a good dozen things that are more important for success at that age. Kids can easily ride and excel in running shoes at that age(and older).
Old 01-15-21, 09:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Agree with the above, my 8 and 10yo due velodrome racing, a lot of the kids their age that go clipless the coaches recommend road and the parents do it, since it does mean better cleat retention when riding. But most kids in the age range don't have the leg strength to yank their cleat out of the pedal, mtb shoes are safer to walk in and the pedals are harder to get in and out of, especially when crashed. A few of us bought our kids spd instead. When they're more like 15 I'll go road cleats with them but till then I think everything about spd is better for young knees and general safety.
Old 01-16-21, 01:13 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
He is 10 and on a tandem...running shoes would be more than fine. But if you want him to want clipless, then why not SPD? A quality sole and SPD will be more than stiff enough for a 10 year old.
SPD will be easier to walk in, stiffer than needed, and easier to engage.

As for youth triathlons- I've been to a 3 of them now and SPD will not hold a 10yo back in any way compared to SPD-SL. There are a good dozen things that are more important for success at that age. Kids can easily ride and excel in running shoes at that age(and older).
Well, we haven't put him on a tandem yet. I have experience as a pilot and a stoker myself. His biggest complaint on his own bike right now is that his feet slip off the pedals and they spin around and hit his shin, which I imagine will only happen more often when someone else is in control of when to pedal.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Agree with the above, my 8 and 10yo due velodrome racing, a lot of the kids their age that go clipless the coaches recommend road and the parents do it, since it does mean better cleat retention when riding. But most kids in the age range don't have the leg strength to yank their cleat out of the pedal, mtb shoes are safer to walk in and the pedals are harder to get in and out of, especially when crashed. A few of us bought our kids spd instead. When they're more like 15 I'll go road cleats with them but till then I think everything about spd is better for young knees and general safety.
Very nice! I started velodrome at 13 and my brother at 11. We went clipless (Look Delta) around the same time and had no problems. Loved it better than clips and straps. Come to think of it, many track racers preferred clips and double straps back then.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. We went ahead and tried the SPDs and he had a much better time getting in and out. At least as the stoker on a tandem he can take his sweet time clipping in and out, but he does understand he will probably fall over on his own some day.
Old 01-16-21, 07:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Don't dismiss Crank Brothers pedals as an option. They can be made really easy to enter and exit.
Old 01-16-21, 07:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Clipless should be alright but certainly not before he is fully kitted out in Rapha.
Anything else would just be plain reckless and irresponsible IMO.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-16-21, 07:26 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Has OP tried the SH56 cleats? They are made for easier entry and exit; for beginners.

Old 01-16-21, 10:15 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Has OP tried the SH56 cleats? They are made for easier entry and exit; for beginners.

Yes, I actually had a pair of SH-56 and SH-51 cleats laying around, so I put the 56 on for him.
Old 01-16-21, 12:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Well, we haven't put him on a tandem yet. I have experience as a pilot and a stoker myself. His biggest complaint on his own bike right now is that his feet slip off the pedals and they spin around and hit his shin, which I imagine will only happen more often when someone else is in control of when to pedal.
yeah, I've seen too fast of a cadence can mean kids feet slip off the pedals. This especially makes sense with some of the cheap nylon flat pedals that dont have as much traction as aftermarket flat pedals.
It seems like a cadence above 75 is where many kid's feet start disconnecting a bit on flat pedals. I see it with my youngest(10) and a lot of inexperienced teens I ride with frequently each year when they first start out.
When my youngest jumps on her bike connected to a trainer and gets up to 90rpm with little resistance, its comical. Her feet are coming off at the top of the stroke each time. She only has interest in sitting there for 15min at most and isn't serious about cycling so its not like the form matters much.

Hopefully the clipless system helps keep your son's feet connected better and he can learn to deal with spinning faster than his coordination would otherwise typically handle at this point.
...or just pedal slower.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-16-21, 06:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If the problem with flats is slipping off the pedals, give him some pedals and shoes that don’t suck..

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-16-21 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-16-21, 06:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Try theses.
MKS Half Mini Steel Toe Clips Classic Chrome Japan Made Pedal Clip Fixed Gear 4560369003570 | eBay

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-17-21, 04:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If the problem with flats is slipping off the pedals, give him some pedals and shoes that don’t suck..
That is the plan.
Old 01-17-21, 04:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That is the plan.
Sorry, I was not very clear: I meant you could try flat pedals and shoes that don't suck. Ones that stick like velcro and you don’t slip off of.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-19-21 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-18-21, 09:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If you can find them, try Speedplay Frogs (the two bolt/MTB pedal). My small wife was having great difficulty with SPD and the Frogs were much easier for her. This was when we were riding the tandem and really, the stoker does need to be clipped in (IMHO). Now that we're not using the tandem any more and she just rides her own bikes, she just uses grippy flat pedals and is perfectly happy. But she kept getting knocked off the pedals on the tandem.
Likes For Camilo: