Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Many Times Have You Felt Like Doing This to a Car?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 08:21 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
I suspect that this group didn't pick this couple and their vehicle at random, and I feel that the driver struck a nerve within the group of riders. I don't condone the type of action the riders carried out, but a number of motorists' actions finally made me invest in a decent video camera system.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 01-03-21, 10:41 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I live in NYC and have worked alot in the neighborhoods where these kids live. They are generally youth with no guidance whatsoever in life who like to do wheelies and get in people's faces just to get a reaction. If they weren't on bikes, they'd try to start **** with whatever they have. A faked basketball throw to your face is a favorite; fake sucker punches, whatever. They are sucky people and have nothing to lose, and like to bait people who have everything to lose by fighting a gaggle of underage boys.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-03-21, 11:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sounds rather, uh, fanciful.
I do admit that I do get fanciful with thinking about such things. And I do imagine that this is just a group of individuals behaving badly.

However I will consider it bad practice if the authorities did not consider if there was not some larger thing involved based on evidence and any histories of the parties involved. I'm not making an accusation I just saying that every incident needs to be tested to see if it there is merit for other reasons that might need investigating.
Old 01-03-21, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't think that's a thing. Normally it's the drug users themselves stealing stuff to either fence or pawn in order to get drug money. It doesn't make sense for a drug dealer to have someone steal bikes to give to the druggies to sell in order to buy more drugs. If they were into theft as well as drug dealing, they'd just sell the bikes themselves and keep that money while also getting money from the drug users.
One of the things that put a little more money into my flight school and charter service I had in the 80's was figuring out how to give people a reason to use our service. One way was setting up classes for SCUBA diving certification and then offering a charter flight to the Florida coast to do the open water certifications. I suppose I could have gotten my dive master and instructor cert then taught the classes myself, flown the airplane and kept all the money myself. But then I wouldn't have time for the other revenue streams I was managing. Also, you wouldn't believe how many people will rather work for someone than do it on their own. Maybe one of the couple handfuls of people that worked closely in my business ever went on to set up their own business.

But of course there are a certain number of users stealing stuff themselves. But not as many as our war on drugs that has not had any effect on the number of people using drugs will lead you to believe. I'd be willing to bet that most in jail for drug use were using their own money and their only crime was buying illegal drugs.
Old 01-03-21, 11:40 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
However I will consider it bad practice if the authorities did not consider if there was not some larger thing involved based on evidence and any histories of the parties involved. I'm not making an accusation I just saying that every incident needs to be tested to see if it there is merit for other reasons that might need investigating.
If you think about the money involved in drug sales and the likely difficulty of selling used/stolen bikes for any money (that doesn't even come close to the money for drug sales), your idea (such that it is) makes even less sense.

And, no, every nutty idea does not need to be investigated.
Old 01-03-21, 11:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I is my understanding that stolen bikes is a big organized business in large cities. Stolen bikes are traded by the truckload by certain persons. How organized is it? I don't know. But when a truckload of anything is involved, I wouldn't imagine just a simple one person.
Old 01-03-21, 12:13 PM
njkayaker

I is my understanding that stolen bikes is a big organized business in large cities. Stolen bikes are traded by the truckload by certain persons. How organized is it? I don't know. But when a truckload of anything is involved, I wouldn't imagine just a simple one person.
This is a significant retreat from your initial idea.

Were stolen bikes even involved it this incident?

And information about these "bike cartels" beyond your "understanding"?

​​​​​​
Old 01-03-21, 01:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I don't see it as a retreat at all. What I stated initially was not an accusation of them or something I believed they were. It was just one of many many things that swirl around in my mind when I see something.

I only put that up for conversation. If instead I'm supposed to just say how emotionally distraught I am, well I can't do that. I'm one of those that keeps emotions bottled up too much.
Old 01-03-21, 02:28 PM
njkayaker

I don't see it as a retreat at all. What I stated initially was not an accusation of them or something I believed they were. It was just one of many many things that swirl around in my mind when I see something.
The second thing doesn't appear to involve drug dealers. It's not the same nutty claim.

So, it's not something you understand. That's another retreat.

I only put that up for conversation. If instead I'm supposed to just say how emotionally distraught I am, well I can't do that. I'm one of those that keeps emotions bottled up too much.
This is a false dilemma.
Old 01-03-21, 11:44 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by roundypndr
I suspect that this group didn't pick this couple and their vehicle at random, and I feel that the driver struck a nerve within the group of riders. I don't condone the type of action the riders carried out, but a number of motorists' actions finally made me invest in a decent video camera system.
So what do you suspect the reason was they also attacked a cab a short time later?
Old 01-04-21, 12:00 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
In the late 1960s early 1970s, there were groups that would steal bikes off of Colorado University campas, take them to Denver University to sell them. And as part of the return trip they would steal bikes off of Denver University campas, take them to Colorado University to sell them.

There was a shop on the Big Island of Hawaii, that rented bikes to tourist (mostly Japanese tourest). He had duplicate keys for the locks he gave them which some of his buddies used to steal the bikes and bring them back to the shop so the owner could charge the tourist the full price of a new bike.
Old 01-04-21, 08:18 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by CB HI
In the late 1960s early 1970s, there were groups that would steal bikes off of Colorado University campas, take them to Denver University to sell them. And as part of the return trip they would steal bikes off of Denver University campas, take them to Colorado University to sell them.

There was a shop on the Big Island of Hawaii, that rented bikes to tourist (mostly Japanese tourest). He had duplicate keys for the locks he gave them which some of his buddies used to steal the bikes and bring them back to the shop so the owner could charge the tourist the full price of a new bike.
That's one thing (no one was saying this sort of thing didn't happen). These two examples also don't establish it's the usual thing.

I've been under the assumption that bike theft in really big cities is an organized thing. You want to sell drugs, but a lot of your users run out of money quick. So you have others go out and steal bikes then give the bikes to your users to sell so they can get more money for more drugs which is your main business. Similar to laundering money. It removes you from the crime since it's the user that'll get caught selling the bike and they won't tell that they were doing it to get more money for drugs.

Maybe not. But hoping a reason or cause is found.
This is not the same thing at all and has no decernable relation to the even being discussed.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-04-21 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 08:21 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So what do you suspect the reason was they also attacked a cab a short time later?
I have no idea on the specific reason, but the cab driver, or his vehicle, seems to have struck a nerve within the group of riders as well. I still do not condone the actions by the group of riders.
Old 01-04-21, 10:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This is not the same thing at all and has no decernable relation to the even being discussed.
Based on the posts title
I don't think the OP intended for there to be an in depth discovery of the events surrounding this.

And for certain we aren't going to get enough information about this to make any other observation than these people are behaving badly and should not do that. So staying on topic ends pretty quickly in my opinion.
Old 01-04-21, 11:34 AM
njkayaker

So staying on topic ends pretty quickly in my opinion.
So what? There's nothing wrong with a thread ending quickly.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-04-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 10:09 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I live in NYC and have worked alot in the neighborhoods where these kids live. They are generally youth with no guidance whatsoever in life who like to do wheelies and get in people's faces just to get a reaction. If they weren't on bikes, they'd try to start **** with whatever they have. A faked basketball throw to your face is a favorite; fake sucker punches, whatever. They are sucky people and have nothing to lose, and like to bait people who have everything to lose by fighting a gaggle of underage boys.

This is pretty much my opinion too and I really shouldn't have made light of the incident(s) or situation in any way.

Also, while it is hard to imagine the average person confusing this group with your average commuter or roadie, the bicycles here are undeniably used as weapons and escape vehicles so it's not such a stretch to imagine more incidents like this one leading to more laws, licensing, etc. which is my worry. (This is also why, although I marched a few times, I never participated in any of the Black Lives Matter protests that were carried out on bicycles. Such protests--a new phenomenon, as far as I know--sent the wrong message about bicycles.)

Also, I see no reason not to believe the driver of the BMW. He stated in a different article that all he did was hit the brakes after the boys surrounded his vehicle to hitch on it, which in turn caused one of the riders behind him to crash.

And I'd also just like to point out what a shame it is that these boys have come to associate their riding with violence and the harassment of strangers.
Old 01-12-21, 11:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I still hope the actual thugs that did that to that car are caught and are jailed.
Old 01-17-21, 06:10 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Mine.
You must live in a cruel, deranged universe.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 01-19-21, 11:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
You must live in a cruel, deranged universe.
I have heard rumor that these days when aliens pass by in their flying saucers, they lock their doors.
Old 01-20-21, 04:03 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On the news, the police have arrested one of the thugs that committed that crime.
Not thugs.
Cyclists.
Old 01-20-21, 04:59 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
“This was an animalistic attack in broad daylight,“ said one Manhattan cop, noting that the vehicle’s occupants, a man and woman in their 50s, were scared for their lives. “It shows how far the city has deteriorated and the politicians better get their heads out of the sand and start to deal with these problems before there is nothing left.”

"Animalistic".

You can taste the racism in that statement.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-20-21, 11:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
"Animalistic".

You can taste the racism in that statement.
No I can't. It looks to be a fitting descriptor irrespective of the race or ethnicity of the criminals.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-20-21, 11:43 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
No I can't. It looks to be a fitting descriptor irrespective of the race or ethnicity of the criminals.
Wow, you cannot even admit it.

Zero progress. Zero.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-20-21, 02:56 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've punched and broke the driver's side mirror of cars that were being driven by asshats (one actively tried to run me off the road) on 3 separate occasions on my motorcycle.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-21-21, 04:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by rideliketurtle
"Animalistic."
Maybe the animals thought Damien was in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.