Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek’s very long lead time pushing me to buy other brands readily available

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek’s very long lead time pushing me to buy other brands readily available

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I know when I was looking at the Domane SL, one of he hang ups that was delaying shipping are tires. 32's are\were in short supply as they are coming on many bikes these days.

Old 01-11-21, 10:06 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Everyone's making the point about the current supply issues due to the coronavirus pandemic. In addition, when you're buying a new bike, you also have to think of the time of year.

New bikes are released in the middle of the year, sometimes as early as April and May, so that 2022 model year bikes are due in 5-6 months from now. The pattern holds true for the most part, and although some companies are going to a January release schedule. Trek isn't with them just yet IIRC.

Thus, you should plan to buy a new bike in the middle of the year. By late summer, early Autumn, some brands are already getting low in stock on various frame sizes of various models and by early-mid January some are sold out. And that's in a normal year, without a pandemic-driven buying spree. Shop around and you'll see that some shops have the odd 2018 or 2020 model still in stock, after not having sold, but people don't seem to understand sometimes that they can't just order that bike in a larger or smaller frame size in that exact color, that will look exactly the same, because all of those are long sold and they're looking at unsold stock.

So for now, I'd sit tight, order a Trek, maybe make a down payment to secure the bike and to demonstrate commitment to buying, and then wait. If I was 100% sold on a Trek. Otherwise, I'd look around for something else.
Old 01-11-21, 11:05 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Sure. But they did not subsequently treat Greg very well.
Yeah, well, that's what happens when you tell them where their money's really coming from and they don't want to hear it.
Old 01-12-21, 12:23 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Do you think that Trek is the only brand worth considering? If so, why? Have you gone to any other shops?
Old 01-12-21, 12:36 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I never thought about this before. Is Emonda some kind of riff on the Lemond name by Trek to avoid trademark infringement?
Old 01-12-21, 01:05 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
They started with Madone. I think they had a bunch of the letters left over so they came up with Domane and Emonda as a way to use them up. Gives their marketing a Euro/Italian flare, no?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-12-21, 03:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by RMD2020
With the high demand of the Treks does anybody considering to buy other Brands?, is it worth it to wait almos a year for an Emonda SL. Endurance SL Canyon instead .... what does anyone think?. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, many people consider and buy other brands. Hence the reason there are a lot of other bikes on the road other than Trek. Not sure how anyone on the planet could be unaware of this fact.
And ofc nobody online is qualified to tell you what is or is not worth it to you as it pertains to waiting a year for an item.
Again, not sure how anyone on the planet can not be aware of this fact.
Great post otherwise though
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-12-21, 03:50 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
I never thought about this before. Is Emonda some kind of riff on the Lemond name by Trek to avoid trademark infringement?
As pointed out above, Trek has used various anagrams of "Madone" to name some of their top bike models. From this page:

If you’ve ever read Lance Armstrong’s book “It’s Not About the Bike” (he was right) you’ll know that the Col de la Madone is one of the climbs that the Texan used to frequent in his preparation for the Tour de France. If he was able to set a good time up the Madone (read on to see what “a good time” was) he “knew” he was going to win Le Tour.
Old 01-13-21, 02:23 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
No, its not. Buying any bike new is not worth it imo.
Normally this is can be true for some, if they don't care about warranties, but not these days. in Europe the bike to work scheme is tax back up to 1k, so effectively 500 euro off any bike over 1k. Getting a 1k bike for 500, or 2k bike for 1500 is a pretty good deal. The effect of this is that a 3nd hand bike has to be drastically reduced to make it worth buying over a discounted new bike. Many are unwilling to take 750-1000 quid off the sticker price of their bike to get it sold. I'm pretty sure it's resulted in tens of thousands of very good bikes gathering dust in a shed or rusting away in the back yard, unrealistic perceived value. But still some of these bikes did make it to the 2nd hand market.

With shortages the 2nd market is terrible now too.
Most are holding onto their good bikes as they can't get anything better new right now without waiting months, and any that are for sale are asking silly prices for 2nd hand bikes purely because of lack of supply.

To the OP:
I got a bike last may. If I had a choice of multiple brands and models, it's not number one that I would have picked but there was very limited choice and stock. 2 guys in my dept couldn't get a similar bike after so I'm certain it was one of the last in stock in the country at that time, and for considerable time.

If I had rejected it I'd have missed out on a year of cycling, the fitness, seeing new places and places I knew from a different perspective. I'd have missed out on the outlet it gave when thd place was locked down.

Can't see any reason to be married to trek. Most companies will do a similar bike in 5he category that you want which you could just accept as is or at worst, change a few components.

​​​​​​

Last edited by wilson_smyth; 01-13-21 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 04:02 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"Nice ... that wouldn't be one that Trek built?"

FYI, Trek doesn't build bikes. They contract out to Asian manufacturers to have bikes with their name on them produced. Specialized the same. Giant does build bikes in their own factories and builds bikes for a multitude of other brands. Merida is another brand that has factories and manufactures their own bikes. Am I being too nit-picky? Just semantics I suppose.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-13-21, 06:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
No, its not. Buying any bike new is not worth it imo.
Well, we can’t ALL find bikes in dumpsters.
Old 01-13-21, 09:10 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've never owned a Trek, Specialized or Giant bike, but I have owned several Cannondales, the last in 1992. Since then I've owned Tommasini, Litespeed, four Colnago, one Cervelo, one Fondriest, four LOOK and now two Cinelli superstar disc frames. There are other choices. I really like the geometry on the new Cinelli superstar. The paint and build quality (from Taiwan) are excellent. The frames weigh less than an Emonda SL.
Old 01-13-21, 09:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My LBS hasn't has a Specialized since last Spring.
My LBS was all giddy when they got 1 CAAD 13 in. It was gone in a heartbeat.
Old 01-13-21, 09:22 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Koyote
Sure. But they did not subsequently treat Greg very well.
Which is why I won't buy a Trek.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-13-21, 09:26 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Camilo
They started with Madone. I think they had a bunch of the letters left over so they came up with Domane and Emonda as a way to use them up. Gives their marketing a Euro/Italian flare, no?
No
Old 01-13-21, 03:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My LBS was all giddy when they got 1 CAAD 13 in. It was gone in a heartbeat.
Mine has a waiting list and some have been on it for months.

I'm glad I got my wife to let me buy her a new bike in 2019.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-13-21, 07:12 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Nice ... that wouldn't be one that Trek built?"

FYI, Trek doesn't build bikes. They contract out to Asian manufacturers to have bikes with their name on them produced. Specialized the same. Giant does build bikes in their own factories and builds bikes for a multitude of other brands. Merida is another brand that has factories and manufactures their own bikes. Am I being too nit-picky? Just semantics I suppose.
Not any more they do, but they used to (unlike, say, Specialized). IIRC at least some of the Lemonds were built by Trek, though.
Old 01-14-21, 10:15 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I've purchased 2 new Trek bikes in the past several months. The first was my Domane SL6. It was the exact bike I wanted for mostly road riding with the capability of riding dirt roads. I waited 3 months for it to come in and it was worth it, in my opinion, which is the only one that matters because I'm the one riding it. Then, I wanted a new full suspension mountain bike, so I was looking at Kona, Trek and Pivot. I chose the Trek Top Fuel 9.8 XT. Not available until August. Then I started looking at the 9.7 in red. Not available until June, but the gun metal grey 9.7 was available before Thanksgiving, so I ordered it the end of October along with GX rear deraileur and shifters. It came in the week of Christmas. Worth the wait. I raced Cannondale for many years and had a loyalty to that brand, but really missed riding Trek. They fit me so much better.
Old 01-15-21, 12:51 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I was told by my Orbea dealer that They were having problems getting components. I went to place an order for an Orca using the MyO customization, and no go. I just stashed the funding for that away to wait for the 2022's.
Old 01-15-21, 06:31 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by indyfabz
How do you pronounce “Emonda”?
It's a made up name. Pronounce it as you like.
Old 01-15-21, 06:44 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have been in the market for a bike for the past couple of months and looked/ called around the various shops in my area. In my area, there is no way to get a high end Trek, Specialized, Cannondale or Giant unless the bike shop in question has the exact model you're looking for in the exact size you need. Needless to say, the odds of this happening are slim. I live in a very large city and there are many bike shops to choose from. Regardless, nothing is in stock anywhere. The majority of the shops were not even willing to take an order as they were already snowed in with prior orders and could not guarantee delivery. I appreciated the honesty actually. Going online, I set up notifications from Canyon and a couple of other brands about six weeks ago and I have yet to see any of the bikes I want come back into stock.

I gave up and found a sweet used bike on The Pro's Closet (excellent service, BTW). My bike was delayed a day or two in shipping out. I emailed them and unsurprisingly they are absolutely slammed with orders.

What I take from all this: if you're in the market for a new bike in 2021, you're likely going to have to wait until 2022.
Old 01-15-21, 07:23 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Noahma
I was told by my Orbea dealer that They were having problems getting components. I went to place an order for an Orca using the MyO customization, and no go. I just stashed the funding for that away to wait for the 2022's.
That was the main hold up on my bikes. SRAM equipped bikes had less lead time than Shimano equipped bikes and a lot of Shimano bikes weren't available at all. Trek put estimated arrival dates on most of their bikes on their dealer only inventory page and some didn't have a date at all.
Old 01-15-21, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
It's a made up name. Pronounce it as you like.
Like SRAM?
Old 01-15-21, 08:31 AM
bruce19

Like SRAM?
Yup
Old 01-15-21, 01:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Like SRAM?
SRAM is an acronym for the founds Scott, Ray and Sam or for Static Random Access Memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.