Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie... Specialized Roll .. new tire -HELP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 11:07 AM
jelizalde
Total Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, total newbie here. bought a Specialized Roll Elite for fun and to ride to work a few days a week. 16 miles round trip, second ride got a flat. Small puncture, probably from glass on the road. My question is what should i upgrade when no flats is my biggest concern, I've read alot about Marathon Plus... Roll comes stock with 650b 2.3.... I'm still trying to wrap my head around understanding different tire size nomenclature... So marathon plus has a 27.5x1.5 and a 27.5x2 (looks like its made for E-bikes)...?
Which direction should I go? Guidance and opinions appreciated.
Thanks,
jesse
Old 01-12-21, 12:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Specialized Website claims you have Nimbus Sport Reflect, 60 TPI w/ BlackBelt Protection, 650b x 2.3" on your bike.

This website has a really nice way to filter tires by size and width.

Happy shopping

Barry
Old 01-12-21, 12:58 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
tires labeled "650B" and 27.5" should fit on the same rim, actual size is 584mm for where the bead of the tire fits on the rim. fatter tires wider than 2" are typically labeled in inches like mountain bikes and narrower than 50mm are labeled in mm like road bikes. I'd stick with something close to what the bike was designed to use.

anything labeled a "touring" tire will be very thick and resist road debris the best. some sealant in your tube will help a lot too. check your tires after each ride to see if you have picked up any bits of glass or other sharp objects that could work their way through your tire and give you flat. sometimes you can dig it out before it kills your tube.
Old 01-12-21, 01:10 PM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
If you don't mind a little weight (rolling resistance) there's always tire liners like Mr Tuffy's (Mr Tuffy - The original and still the best tire liner in the industryl)
Old 01-12-21, 01:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I probably wouldn't worry about it and just replace the tube. If you truly want to change tires which is fine, look for one that is the same size or very very close. A wider tire is less likely to puncture because it can be run at lower pressures meaning you are more likely to roll over something then have it puncture. Tire liners and things like that aren''t ideal as they can cause their own flats from moving around between the tube and tire. If you want to eliminate pinch flats you could do a tubeless set up (and there I would run a foam insert to give support since no tubes) However this must be a bike you are riding often and when not riding would keep up on inflation so you don't have a puddle of goo underneath.
Old 01-12-21, 08:37 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
After too many flats, I bought Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which reduced (but did not eliminate) my flats. I like the tires, though I've seen them criticized by others in this forum.
Old 01-12-21, 08:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
If you don't mind a little weight
Have you ever picked up a Specialized Roll?

My wife has one and they weigh a ton.

OP... just replace the tube.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-12-21, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by GlennR
Have you ever picked up a Specialized Roll?

My wife has one and they weigh a ton.

OP... just replace the tube.
Have you ever lifted a ton? The Roll is actually pretty light for what it is, most of those cruiser type bikes are heavy boat anchors this isn't a lightweight but compared to similar bikes it is a lightweight dream. Having lifted plenty of crappy cruisers with no gears and sometimes only hub brakes and usually just rim brakes I can say the Roll is a lightweight (again in that category). Compared to our road bikes it is a tank but generally most things are
Old 01-13-21, 06:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Have you ever lifted a ton? The Roll is actually pretty light for what it is, most of those cruiser type bikes are heavy boat anchors this isn't a lightweight but compared to similar bikes it is a lightweight dream. Having lifted plenty of crappy cruisers with no gears and sometimes only hub brakes and usually just rim brakes I can say the Roll is a lightweight (again in that category). Compared to our road bikes it is a tank but generally most things are
Yes, I have, but I usually use a floor jack to raise my cars.

I'm sure there are heavier bikes and maybe compared to other "low entry" bikes it's a light weight. But it weighs more than both my bike... together. Luckily my wife only rides it locally.

But to the OPs point, getting a flat is a fact of life. I once wend 18 mounts without a flat and then got 3 in a month with one requiring the tire to be replaced.

Flats happen. I would suggest going tubeless or even adding sealant to a tube before looking for some bulletproof tire, Also the "roll" is not the type of bike you take off pavement so thorns and other off road hazards are minimal.
Old 01-13-21, 09:04 AM
jelizalde
Total Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the input! alot to learn here, glad i found this forum. im sure if i keep it up, a nice road bike is in my future.....
Old 01-13-21, 05:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yes, I have, but I usually use a floor jack to raise my cars.

I'm sure there are heavier bikes and maybe compared to other "low entry" bikes it's a light weight. But it weighs more than both my bike... together. Luckily my wife only rides it locally.

But to the OPs point, getting a flat is a fact of life. I once went 18 mounts without a flat and then got 3 in a month with one requiring the tire to be replaced.

Flats happen. I would suggest going tubeless or even adding sealant to a tube before looking for some bulletproof tire, Also the "roll" is not the type of bike you take off pavement so thorns and other off road hazards are minimal.
Yeah the floor jack does help

Yeah it is heavier than many of our bikes but for what it is not terrible. I mean few would buy a Enodam, the new full carbon aero step through comfort bike from Trek for 8k but the Roll compared to an Electra townie or whatever is a good bit lighter.

Flats do suck, I remember having a bunch of flats in a row and then none for a long time. It wasn't till I loaned the bike to someone they got a flat on it over a long ride in some sketchy terrain at points that day.
Old 01-13-21, 08:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Yeah it is heavier than many of our bikes but for what it is not terrible. I mean few would buy a Enodam, the new full carbon aero step through comfort bike from Trek for 8k but the Roll compared to an Electra townie or whatever is a good bit lighter.
I would get my wife one, but I just bought this for my 2 year old grandson.

It's 2.1kg so it's well below the UCI weight limit.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-14-21, 11:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I would get my wife one, but I just bought this for my 2 year old grandson.

It's 2.1kg so it's well below the UCI weight limit.
As much as people kind of laugh at it, it is a cool bike. You gotta love people who can have some fun.
Old 01-14-21, 01:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

As much as people kind of laugh at it, it is a cool bike. You gotta love people who can have some fun.
$1000 is a lot more than the $70 I spend on the one for my grand daughter.
Old 01-14-21, 04:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

$1000 is a lot more than the $70 I spend on the one for my grand daughter.
It is a lot of money for what it is but I still think it is cool.
Old 01-14-21, 05:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

It is a lot of money for what it is but I still think it is cool.
So is the Bugatti Divo @ $5,400,000
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-18-21, 01:01 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
To OP: I have a Roll. If you don't mind a MTB tire, Performance is dumping the Pisgah for $12 each, which is a great price for a decent tire.

If you're commuting and want to avoid knobbies, those tires aren't likely the problem. Just replace the tube.

The Roll is not, will never be considered lightweight in any division. It is the Sherman Tank of bikes.