Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

35mm (or more) setback seatpost search

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 10:21 AM
Ventoux1

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (2018), Tarmac (2014)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello!

I've searched the internet for a Specialized Alias Alloy 27.2 x 350mm with 35mm Setback Seatpost with no success.

I'm hoping there might be someone out there who has one to sell, or might know a good place to find "hard-to-find" parts.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-21, 10:45 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Looks like a unicorn - I did a quick search and everywhere is out of stock or no longer available. I'm assuming that it's no longer made and that Specialized themselves don't have one?. I think your best bet will be ebay, but there appear to be none there right now. If it's not urgent, go back to eBay every week or so and you never know what'll show up. I spent better part of a year periodically and non-urgently searching eBay for a specific fork - eventually came across an NOS example for a great price - it can happen. In the meantime, the closest thing I could find that might work for you is a 3T with 25mm setback.
Old 01-13-21, 11:09 AM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I've actually been searching for this post for over a year with no luck. That's why I decided to cast my net out on the forum.
I've found other posts with 30mm setback, and they'll probably work, but I'm stubborn and am holding out for that Alias post.

Glad you were able to find your needle in the haystack!
Old 01-13-21, 01:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Can you use one of these?
Grand Cru Long Setback Seatpost – Velo Orange (velo-orange.com)
Highest Offset 27.2- mm Bicycle Seatposts - Modern Bike
Old 01-13-21, 01:21 PM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Those are both nice options. The Grand Cru is on my list, but I'm concerned about the shorter 300mm length. Probably don't need to be as it recommends about 23cm exposed where my measurement would leave 21cm exposed.
Also, another petty hangup of mine is that the Grand Cru post is glossy black whereas my frame is a matte black (Specialized Sequoia). Not a deal breaker - just a preference!
And... that extra 5mm of setback on the Alias is just so awesome! But... it might not happen.

I'll probably end up with the Grand Cru, but as I said earlier - I'm holding out as long as I can for that Specialized post. You never know who might have one!

Thanks very much for your reply!

Last edited by Ventoux1; 01-13-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 02:28 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ventoux1
Those are both nice options. The Grand Cru is on my list, but I'm concerned about the shorter 300mm length. Probably don't need to be as it recommends about 23cm exposed where my measurement would leave 21cm exposed.
Then you are fine, you will have 2mm less seatpost exposed than the maximum recommended above the minimum insertion line.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-13-21, 02:32 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
just curious: what are you trying to accomplish with so much seatpost offset? I would think that would put your weight hanging over the rear tire in a sub-optimal way.

are you a subscriber to KOPS mythology?

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-13-21 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 02:42 PM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's just where my body likes to be - far back. I'm a KBPS subscriber!

My current post gets me there, but I'd really like to try the Alias (or other 35mm + setback post) so the clamp isn't butt-up against the front bend of the rails. And also because it's a silver aluminum whereas if I could find a black one, I'd be a happy camper!
Old 01-13-21, 02:46 PM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
Then you are fine, you will have 2mm less seatpost exposed than the maximum recommended above the minimum insertion line.
Yea. Like I said, just holding out for my dream post, but the Grand Cru is the next best option for me!

Old 01-13-21, 03:14 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

put an alert for it on ebay and you'll automatically be notified if one pops up.
there are a ton of for sale/ trade groups for specific things like this on Facebook. not on Facebook? get on Facebook just so you can to this one, very specific thing.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-13-21, 05:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
If you need that much setback, your bike may not fit properly.

But if you really want it, Nitto makes a seatpost with a ton of setback - I think it's at least 35mm. You can find it on their site, or perhaps on rivbike.com
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-21, 05:16 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you need that much setback, your bike may not fit properly
I am 100% certain this is true, unless OP has some absolutely freakish proportion discrepancies. but OP seems to be convinced otherwise. I can't make other people stop riding ill-fitting bikes, so I'll let it be.
Old 01-13-21, 06:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
It sounds like you need a better fitting bike not a whacko seatpost. You are another in a line of many people who are perfect fit to see an actual bike fitter. A seatpost with that much setback and needing a ton of extra height screams an ill-fitting bike and that isn't a fun ride.
Old 01-13-21, 06:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you need that much setback, your bike may not fit properly.

But if you really want it, Nitto makes a seatpost with a ton of setback - I think it's at least 35mm. You can find it on their site, or perhaps on rivbike.com
"If you need that much setback, your bike may not fit properly." Or you designed the bike with a steep seat angle so you could bring the real wheel close to get good weigh balance for handling and now need a big setback post because you haven't changed. My customs have 74 and 75 seat tubes. I don't have to fully slam the seat with a 72.5 and a 25mm post. Now I run a 160mm post and have the clamp hearly centered. (Ti railed seats don't like clamping at the bends; something I did routinely to get my setback BITD.) Hindsight - doing this again, I would ask about a curved seatpost to get the clearance and a "normal" seatpost.

I have one of those steel Nitto posts with a ton of setback. Great post. Don't know if it is long enough for the OP. (It certainly is strong enough but too little insertion is asking for seat tube damage.
Old 01-13-21, 08:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"If you need that much setback, your bike may not fit properly." Or you designed the bike with a steep seat angle so you could bring the real wheel close to get good weigh balance for handling and now need a big setback post because you haven't changed. My customs have 74 and 75 seat tubes. I don't have to fully slam the seat with a 72.5 and a 25mm post. Now I run a 160mm post and have the clamp hearly centered. (Ti railed seats don't like clamping at the bends; something I did routinely to get my setback BITD.) Hindsight - doing this again, I would ask about a curved seatpost to get the clearance and a "normal" seatpost.

I have one of those steel Nitto posts with a ton of setback. Great post. Don't know if it is long enough for the OP. (It certainly is strong enough but too little insertion is asking for seat tube damage.
If the OP's profile is accurate, neither of the two listed bikes would have such steep STAs.
Old 01-13-21, 10:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Hello!

I've searched the internet for a Specialized Alias Alloy 27.2 x 350mm with 35mm Setback Seatpost with no success.

I'm hoping there might be someone out there who has one to sell, or might know a good place to find "hard-to-find" parts.

Thanks!
FSA markets a 32mm setback post. Search for FSA SB32
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-14-21, 04:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
I, too, am a fan of long setback posts. Got frustrated in 2000 and built my first frame with a 72.5 STA. With a standard post and a Turbomatic saddle. Still had the seat all the way back on the rails, but the fit is perfect. Built another frame, this time a touring frame intended to be used with a Brooks saddle which has short rails. The frame has a 71STA and it perfectly supports the saddle in the middle of the rails just like a Brooks saddle should be. My thighs are a bit long so this all makes sense.. The cleats are set all the way back on the shoes as well.
Get the bug and build your own frame to what makes sense for your needs. Nirvana can be had.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-14-21, 11:38 AM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My bike fits. I just prefer the rearward position that has worked for me since 1989.

I'm not trying to solve a fit issue, would just like to replace the post I have which works, but is ugly.

Regarding the post length - again, just my preference.

Thanks for all of your expert advice.
Likes For Ventoux1:
Old 01-14-21, 12:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

My bike fits. I just prefer the rearward position that has worked for me since 1989.

I'm not trying to solve a fit issue, would just like to replace the post I have which works, but is ugly.

Regarding the post length - again, just my preference.

Thanks for all of your expert advice.
Your bike fits but you need a extremely setback seatpost? Does not compute. I get that doing something for long periods of time can of course lead to something working for you because you have done it so long but I think a professional fitter will really help you out. It is tough to brake habits and it can sound daunting having someone look over the way you are riding your bike and make adjustments but I can assure you they aren't there to judge or make fun of you only to help.
Old 01-14-21, 12:22 PM
Ventoux1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you, and I can appreciate what you're saying, but if folks are trying to help, then we've gone off-topic.The whole point of my original post was to inquire where I might find that particular seatpost or something similar. Not asking for advice on fit. Fit is fine. Just want to replace a component.

Thanks
Old 01-14-21, 09:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thank you, and I can appreciate what you're saying, but if folks are trying to help, then we've gone off-topic.The whole point of my original post was to inquire where I might find that particular seatpost or something similar. Not asking for advice on fit. Fit is fine. Just want to replace a component.

Thanks
I would hope you could appreciate it but it seems like you are stuck on the notion of good fit when needing a really crazy part that would alter a good fit quite drastically. Would be curious to see your set up currently.

The only time you see massive set back is vintage BMX and some really vintage bikes well before BMX. Even most Brooks users don't have that much setback and seatpost sticking out and they do need a setback seatpost because of the nature of the saddle.
Old 01-14-21, 09:06 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Here's the extra setback Nitto seatpost, the S84; it has 40mm of setback.

Seat Post - Nitto & Rivendell - Lugged, 27.2 x 250 (S84) – Rivendell Bicycle Works (rivbike.com)

They are expensive and hard to get. I have two of them in pretty much like new condition. I'd sell one of them for $100 plus shipping.
Old 01-14-21, 09:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts

Thanks
Ventoux, keep in mind that you are dealing with Bike Forums. Many of the posters here are right. Trying to tell them otherwise is like trying to reverse the jetstream. (I run into this all the time. Got told today I need to get a Technomic stem when I mentioned adding padding under my handlebar tape as a concession to advancing age.)

And more on stems - I run an SR-100 ME on one bike. (I think that's its name. It's a long discontinued MTB post where the clamp slides fore and aft from around "normal" to 160mm! (So the seat could be pushed far back for hairy descents.) It comes with a quick release lever but I replaced it with a bolt. Not a long post so probably no help to you. Most are 26.8mm post, the old common MTB standard. My two titanium bikes have custom posts made by TiCycles. 160mm setback and titanium post. Don't know the length, but being custom, they could do anything you want. Clamp is from Thompson, 2-bolt and excellent. My namesake Peter Mooney has the steel Nitto post. (Built like a custom lugged bike frame. Elegant and much lighter than it sounds.)

The drawbacks of these stems (except the old SR) is cost. Forget what I paid for the customs but not cheap. The Nitto, $160. The benefits - fit is to die for (at least my body says so, the Bike Forumites will disagree! And the clamps are near the center of the seat rails. Tons of adjustment! No broken ti rails which cost me $120+ every time. (I'm light. I ride those rails for comfort.)

I'll keep my eyes open for long posts with good setback that don't require re-fis on your house.
Old 01-15-21, 06:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would hope you could appreciate it but it seems like you are stuck on the notion of good fit when needing a really crazy part that would alter a good fit quite drastically. Would be curious to see your set up currently.

The only time you see massive set back is vintage BMX and some really vintage bikes well before BMX. Even most Brooks users don't have that much setback and seatpost sticking out and they do need a setback seatpost because of the nature of the saddle.
You call it a crazy part and massive setback. A couple points I guess, the OP's current setback actually somewhat works, but it appears he doesn't like the aesthetic(?) of the saddle being clamped at the front of the rails. I'd hazard a guess his current setback is a pretty widespread and available 25mm?
Also, would suggest just looking at a ruler. 1cm additional (35mm vs 25mm std) is about this much |------| I wouldn't label this as massive or crazy.
Old 01-16-21, 04:28 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Here are two I looked at in addition to the Velo-Orange, when I was looking:

Nitto S83 Seatpost (which was my choice, as I did not need length, just offset)
Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm
Offset (mm): 24 mm
Length: 300 mm (and 250 which I bought)

Paul Tall & Handsome Seatpost
One of the lightest seatposts made
26mm Setback
Head and shaft are made from a special high strength 2024 aluminum alloy
The two bolts sit on spherical washers that allow them to pivot and self align to the cradle
15 Degree tilt range
Materials: 2024 Aluminum
Weight: 320g
Post Diameter: 27.2mm
Length: 360mm
Setback: 26mm

I decided the Paul was too pricey for me and too long.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 01-16-21 at 04:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.