Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting the levers level, drop bar.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 04:26 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

So here's what I do, it's time consuming and I hate it.

1. Two levels, one on seat tube and one on seat. This is to confirm that laying a level across the seat actually is level due to inconsistent pads or something.

2. Level across the seat and long level across the hoods. Adjust accordingly. This works well on my old trainer and old bikes but is not compatible with thru axle and I never use a trainer otherwise, so I'm not getting a new one.

3. Try to find point to point measurements to reassure myself. This never helps.

4. Eyeball it and call it good.

5. Wrap the handlebars and ride. Realize it's wrong.

6. Carefully unwrap the bars without tearing the tape and repeat steps 1-5 in any order.

7. Admit defeat, ride. We're all a little lopsided anyway.

Also important, the marks in the stem clamp region of the stem are occasionally not the dead center. I feel like there should be a Park Tool for centering bars.

With the advent of flared bars and long levers, I haven't had any luck running a straight edge to the lever tips. Come to think of it, I've never had any luck with that trick.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-18-21, 04:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
That is a really involved process.

I make the bike vertical then just measure from the ground to the top front corner of the hood. And will also measure from the ground to the bottom point of the brake lever. Then repeat on the other side.
...Or just use bars with lines on the hooks which makes it very simple to get them even.

You can also just pull a string tight on the outside of each lever(placing the string behind the lever body so its even for both sides) and compare the string line to the tops of the handlebar. But thats just sighting the setup. I guess levels are a good way to get it right...though I admittedly dont follow your process.
Old 01-18-21, 04:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Straight edge from one lever top to the other, making sure it's at exactly the same place on both levers. Stand in front of the bike, and eyeball the gap between the straight edge and the bar top. If they're level, the gap will be the same on both sides. If not, it'll be obvious. No need to level the bike, OR to ensure the front wheel is absolutely aligned.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-18-21, 04:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Tie a string from one lever to the other in the same place on each lever. Then use a line level across the string.

Of course, you have to have the bike vertically level.

Or, best yet, get bars with markings for the levers.
Old 01-18-21, 04:55 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The last time I did it about two days ago, I used the markings on the bars themselves and placed both levers so they were about the same. Then with the bike standing upright I could see one was a bit off so I partially undid the bolt on it, nudged it a bit, redid it and then eyeballed that it was good. A quick 100k ride confirmed it was fine (I also turned the lever hoods inward a bit, and it's actually pretty comfortable that way).

Previously I used a plastic kitchen cutting board and placed my phone atop it with a digital spirit level app and that worked a treat, too. Get one lever right and then move the other one to match, though.
​​
Old 01-18-21, 05:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
A "T" square & a speed square works. I hate using those tools for the intended work they're meant for, but for the bicycle, I grow more appreciation for the tools.
Old 01-18-21, 05:17 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I'll use a straight edge (a level, usually) from the flat of the /bottom/ of the drop, and align that with the bottom of the brake lever.

But this can vary depending on the curve of your bars. Here's a good video that shows just about every method already mentioned above (and not the one I use, coincidentally).

Old 01-18-21, 05:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Tie a string from one lever to the other in the same place on each lever. Then use a line level across the string.

Of course, you have to have the bike vertically level.

Or, best yet, get bars with markings for the levers.
I did that, but it turned out the markings were off a bit. Back to the straight edge.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-18-21, 05:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I lay a 6" ruler (or whatever is handy) against the dropbar flat bottom and measure how far the lever extends past the ruler. (It always does on my bikes.) Adjust other side to duplicate. Not very hard. Been doing that since the dark ages.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-18-21, 05:38 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Straight edge from one lever top to the other, making sure it's at exactly the same place on both levers. Stand in front of the bike, and eyeball the gap between the straight edge and the bar top. If they're level, the gap will be the same on both sides. If not, it'll be obvious. No need to level the bike, OR to ensure the front wheel is absolutely aligned.
The woodworking equivalent of this is winding sticks. Very quick and accurate. That's a great idea!
Old 01-18-21, 06:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's what I do. Pull back (forward) the hood rubber and set the straight edge on the lever mounts right next to the bars. Putting the straight edge on top of the hood rubber can be problematic/less precise, IME.
Old 01-18-21, 06:52 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Put one lever on the bar where you want it. Stick a piece of masking tap from bottom edge of the lever clamp, along the inside of the curve to the end of bar. Mark the tape at end of the bar. Put the other lever on the other side, way high. Move the tape from one side to the other, use the tape mark. Move lever #2 to where it belongs, tighten. Check ride, go by feel. You can double check with a straight edge across the hoods, same spot both sides, straight edge should show even parallel with the handlebars.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 01-18-21, 07:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Not using drop bars currently, but I just put the bars on the floor in the garage and adjust lever tips till they both barely touch the floor. If the stem is not open faced, I just loosen it so it can be out of the way. I also trace along the bar clamps with pencil once that’s done for future reference.

Oh yeah, this is with classic round bend bars that sit nicely on a surface and plain brake levers, where the lever tip in line with the bottom of the drop bar section is an optimal alignment.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-18-21 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 07:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Broom handle to level 'em first and metric ruler to get 'em perf.
Old 01-18-21, 08:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hold a straightedge along the bottom of the straight end of the drops, or put the bars on a flat surface,

and measure how far the lever ends are above the straightedge, or plane. Maybe what 79pmooney was saying.

I thought this was more widely done.

Last edited by woodcraft; 01-18-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 11:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Hold a straightedge along the bottom of the straight end of the drops, or put the bars on a flat surface,

and measure how far the lever ends are above the straightedge, or plane. Maybe what 79pmooney was saying.

I thought this was more widely done.
I would have thought so too but I've known plenty of other mechanics who struggled through the who level stuff. A square works best for this but I usually don't head to the woodshop for mine. But yeah, any straight bar, stick, etc off the bottom of the bars and measure up to the bottom of the lever. Bars are fairly consistent as are brakes levers, never had an issue and takes all of a couple minutes at best.
Old 01-19-21, 07:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It used to be that deeper drops that were so common "way back when" have been replaced by shallow drop ergonomic bars, so this has affected lever placement quite a bit. I use the straight edge beneath the drops, extended to the tip of the lever, method for the first lever placement. But this is only possible where the depth of the drop permits it.

The second lever position is found by straight edge across from the first. Eyeball from the front, getting the straight edge parallel with the handlebar center portion.

With modern bars, all bets are off for the first lever position. That must be eyeballed from the perspective of hand placement and aesthetics with that particular bar. The second lever position is the same, though. Straight edge.
Old 01-19-21, 04:27 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
No straightedge. Before installing handlebar tape, use a cloth measuring tape, the sewing kind. On one side of the handlebar, measure from the handlebar tip along the inside top of the bar to the bottom of the lever clamp. Match this measurement on the other side of the handlebars.

With this method, it's easy to get the levers even, down to the millimeter.
Old 01-19-21, 04:34 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
When building a bike, I put the shift levers on the bars before I put the bars on the bike. If they're level with one another, the bar and shifters will rest squarely on a table. If they're not even, they won't.
If it's a bike with a quill stem, then the bars have to go on the bike first. In that case you can simulate the effect with a board (a 1x6 should do).
Old 01-19-21, 04:55 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
No straightedge. Before installing handlebar tape, use a cloth measuring tape, the sewing kind. On one side of the handlebar, measure from the handlebar tip along the inside top of the bar to the bottom of the lever clamp. Match this measurement on the other side of the handlebars.

With this method, it's easy to get the levers even, down to the millimeter.
This is what I do, but I measure the bottom of the handlebar from the bottom of the lever body to the tip of the bar along the outside radius of the hook. It does the same thing but I find measuring the outside of a curve to be easier than the inside.
Old 01-19-21, 04:56 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
In stall bars/levers. Go for a ride. Adjust stem height. Go for a ride to dial in. Adjust bars drop angle to get drops right. Go for a ride. (may have to re-adjust stem height and or drops angle). Go for a ride... Tweak. Go for a longer ride... Tweak again...

ONLY THEN should you worry about brake levers. It might take several attempts with different levers/reach/position on the bars...

ONLY THEN do you wrap!

Old 01-19-21, 05:02 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
On a new build, I do it with the bars off the bike. Get the levers as level as you think they are, then set the bars on a flat table. Any wobble will indicate uneven brake lever placement.
Old 01-19-21, 05:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I've been riding with drop bars since I was in diapers. I had no idea that they were so complicated.
Old 01-19-21, 06:00 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Put one lever on the bar where you want it. Stick a piece of masking tap from bottom edge of the lever clamp, along the inside of the curve to the end of bar. Mark the tape at end of the bar. Put the other lever on the other side, way high. Move the tape from one side to the other, use the tape mark. Move lever #2 to where it belongs, tighten. Check ride, go by feel. You can double check with a straight edge across the hoods, same spot both sides, straight edge should show even parallel with the handlebars.
^This^, but w/ a cloth measuring tape (ideally) or a regular one if it's not available. The tape is a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.