Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Stac Zero Halcyon

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Stac Zero Halcyon

Old 05-19-19, 12:00 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Stac Zero Halcyon

I'm looking into getting a trainer. Last week and all this week is rain and wind and it is May.

i've been searching around for a lot and came across the Stac Zero Halcyon trainer that is a smart trainer. I'm wondering if anyone has used this and what their thoughts about it are. currently selling for 375$ and normally 750$. Looks like Stac was bought by 4iiii. don't know much about that co though.

thanks,
scott

https://www.staczero.com/specs
Old 05-28-19, 05:01 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I was thinking of getting that trainer but Shane Miller's review turned me off - maybe the problems have been fixed, dunno. You can see his test
Old 12-03-19, 09:24 PM
Farcry99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the STAC Zero Base model and I really like it. I would add the caveat that it was annoying when I got it though as my wheel had a steel solder where the aluminum was joined and this caused the trainer not to work properly. Your wheels have to be 100% no steel. Even if your wheels are supposedly 'all aluminum' the trainer might not work properly just due to the tiny solder. Believe they have a list of compatible wheels, but it is not comprehensive.

Anyways, once I paid another $80 for a used wheel that is compatible the trainer is worked, super quiet. The drivetrain on the bike and the small fan I use make way more noise. I have a left hand side power meter, so I just use it with that and do some really good work-outs in the basement over the winter.
Old 12-07-19, 06:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Because of the steel pin in my aluminum wheel i did not get this because i would also need new wheels. the cost just did not add up. waited a while and during the summer of '19 i came across a '18 model whaoo kicker. love it. really liked the stack halcyon idea but just did not work out for me.