Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So, the bike tires were fixed many questions

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 07:04 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was here the other week with the exploding bike tires on the fuji crosstown 4.0. They finally replaced the stock kenda tires with new kenda's that were of a different make and some new presta tubes. So far so good.

I'm over 300lbs and I started about 2 miles the first day. I've had the bike 7 days, just finished a 6.5 mile ride. My legs feel like death Seriously, walking is like spaghetti noodles dancing lol. . .

On the bike it feels better than walking now. I'm not going to lie, where I live is 'hilly'. Occasionally the burn is too much and I do walk up a few hills, and sometimes I just pull over to stand and rest a minute. Our whole town is up and down (foothills area), so at my weight hills are killer.

I've got some panracer pasela 700 x 35 tires on order (kevlar and higher pressures).

Here are some questions if you guys have time.

1. I'm starting back to work in a few weeks. It is 3.5 miles away. So that'd be 7 miles a day ( a little more than I've worked up to in a week, but I think it is doable, since I'll be parking it for 8 hours). Anyway, the question is what is the best way to look presentable after a ride? Do you guys take a change of clothes with you? What is the best way to handle this? I live in the deep south and the humidity is 90% almost all of the time with 90-100 degree temps and I get 'soaking' wet riding - literally.

2. Recommend some bike shorts that will fit someone with a 50 inch waist (sigh, I hate admitting that).

3. Bike computers - worth it? I've been timing myself on my watch and using the map distance feature on google earth to get distance.

4. Frame pump or co2 cartridge for emergencies? Please consider that my paselas will inflate to 90 psi - eventally, I'm looking at riding to my next town (15 miles) - would love to be prepared.

5. What do you guys do for water? I empty my water bottle halfway on a 6 mile ride lol

6. Is it bad that I'm already looking at different bikes? Sigh - I'm really interested in recumbents - still having lots of seat pain. The rans fusions look really nice. . . they have a max weight of 275 though - don't know if that is hard and fast or not. . . but I figure if I can get to 260 - that'll be my reward. . .

Thanks to whatever thoughts you guys might have. . . I'll listen
Old 07-12-10, 07:41 PM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, glad to hear of your success.

To answer your questions:
1) do you have public transit as support? If not can you start with alternating days between car and bike to let the legs rest.

2) For the milage your looking at, shorts should not be a problem, so anything made from a wicking material. That way it can dry during the day for the ride home. I Carrie a change of clothes in a pannier since I sweat buckets.

3)I put a comuter on my commuter, took it off one day in order to lock up outside. It is still in my pannier. I like the computer on my road bike and use it, I ignore the one on my commuter. YMMV

4)I like the reusable pump, instead of the cartridges. You should always have the ability to change a flat just in case, so at least one tube, levers and pump.

5) I have a bottle that sits on my bike so i can have a sip every now and again at a light.

6) That is a natural part of riding to always look at whats next. So looking and thinking how to improve your cycling experience is natural and should only get tempered by your own finical realities.
Old 07-12-10, 10:27 PM
nanan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Extra set of cloths in a backpack, only done this once as VC riding here isn't practical for the most part.
2. No idea, google it.
3. Cycle computers are good for keeping you honest with yourself and to remind you that you are slacking.
4. I went CO2 rout after busting the valve stem off of a tube with one of those ****ty little pumps and ended up walking 10 miles with my bike.
5. Most bike frames have lugs for 2 water bottles, in addition you can find seat post water bottle racks, still thirsty? get a 3L camelbak, this is the rout I went, insulated bag keeps water cool at 2hr out(run out of water by this time).
6. I have been looking into getting a road bike and selling my fx7.3 for about a year now, had the economy not tanked and my bonus and raises gone for the year I would have likely gotten a Tarmac or Allez. I know nothing about recumbent bikes other then they look boring.
Old 07-13-10, 01:04 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Aero Tech Designs makes great bike shorts in a ton of sizes (pardon the expression).

I swear by my bike computer. They are motivating and scientific. They aren't expensive, so if you have $10-30 bucks after buying a frame pump or inflator or whatever, get a computer!

I have a Topeak Road Morph pump that has a hose to keep the pump from putting undue pressure on the tire's valve stem. I like it because I don't have to stock replacement cartridges.

If you don't have braze-ons for a second bottle cage, the Quick Cage from TwoFish is an option. It straps on to your seat tube. https://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

Don't forget to visit the Commuting forum! It is a wealth of information. They just had a big thread about beating the heat, and there were lots of good suggestions there. Good luck!
Old 07-13-10, 01:39 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Panniers or saddlebag for change of clothes - backpacks make you even sweatier. Alternatively, if there's anywhere you can store things at work, go by car/bus one day a week and take four days work clothes with you. Get a bigger water bottle - you can't get through 750ml in 3.5 miles, and if you do, riding the last mile without water won't hurt you. 90 psi isn't that high, the Topeak Road Morph suggested above is a good pump.

What sort of seat pain? If it's "sit bone ache" it will fade with time on the bike. If it is the surrounding soft tissue you need to look at the positioning of your saddle, or maybe even the saddle itself.
Old 07-13-10, 03:28 AM
jet16lg

Bikes: Early 1990 Trek 950 MTB and Centurian LeMans Road (new to me!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer you question about bike shorts-I recently bought the Peformance Bicycle Century shorts in a 3XL and they fit my waist. I think my waist is about a 52ish (if I remember correctly from the tux fitting i had a few months ago-not very happy about that) and I weigh 315. Teh shorts are a little tight on the waist, but are a little big on the (not by much). These are my first cycling shorts and I don't know why it took me so long to buy some!!!
Old 07-13-10, 09:41 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
1 - I used to commute to work when it was only 16 miles... now it's 62 and it ain't happening. We had showers though, but when I first started, I'd ride in one morning, drive home, drive back and then ride home. Didn't have a car overnight, but my house mate usually did so it was no big deal. I've heard some people just go in the bathroom and wipe down with a wet washcloth, not sure how that would go over. Personally, I don't get smelly when I ride, just sweaty and salty.
2 - no idea
3 - Just get one, they're cheap. I like to see how fast I'm going and I like to monitor my cadence too, and the odometer will tell me how far I rose this year at some point. Wireless is more convenient.
4 - don't skimp on a frame pump and don't get a mini pump. Bad ones are really bad. I just got CO2 the other day because I'm sick of the rattling from my pump. and it's annoying taking the pump off every time I put my bike in a stand or on the car rack.
5 - if you're only emptying half your bottle, why worry? I usually carry 2 24oz bottles on rides, that keeps me going for about 2 hours.
6 - Nah, looking is fun.
Old 07-13-10, 10:25 AM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I know most don't, but does your work have a shower and locker room? Mine does and its a great setup, I just get to work early and shower, dry off, and start work. A lot of people use wet naps or whatever whipes smell good to them. But if your like me you sweat enough were a shower works best.

2. Can't help you there, call one of the online vendors and ask them.

3. Bike computers - I have a cs200, made by polar, which has a heart rate monitor build in. It helps me from kicking my own @$$, but a basic one for 20 bucks should give you the benefit of telling you some speed statistics as well as a more accurate mileage then what your getting now.

4. My topeak frame pump inflates my 120 psi tires no problem. You never run out air, and its better for the environment (no cartridges, no carbon dioxide, etc). Plus a pump makes you work a little bit, which in a clydes case is a good thing.

5. I make sure I'm hydrated when I start, then I have two water bottles on my longer rides. If you have to stop to get more, do so. Start drinking more water off the bike, it will help you loose weight.

6. Nothing wrong with admiring other rides. Maybe you could use a new bike as inspiration. Recumbents look fun and there are plenty of people here who can offer you advice when you get ready to buy in the recumbent forum.

Hope I helped.
Old 07-13-10, 11:48 AM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) If you go to ridewithgps.com and plot out your ride and then post the link we can help with your route. If your place has showers then bring along a change of clothes. I keep a pair of shoes @ work that I change into (instead of hauling them back and forth). If you work does not have showers then wait until you cool down; then use baby wipes and a fresh coat of deodorant to remove any smells.
2) https://www.love2pedal.com/
3) A $10 computer is nice to see your cadence and how fast you're going.
4) Topeak Road Morph G; it will handle 90psi w/o any trouble.
5) You need to hydrate more before riding (less caffeine!). Most bikes can handle 2 water bottles which is enough to get between towns. Either get some free water or stop @ a store and buy a jug to refill your bottles.
6) A reward bike is nice for goal setting. Keep in mind that a recumbent will be more difficult when you are climbing the hills. You should not be experiencing seat pain after the first few weeks of riding; something is wrong with your bike fit.
Old 07-13-10, 12:03 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Baby wipes and/or a microfiber towel. I like babywipes, they take care of any smell. I used to carry a backpack with clothes and computer and hated it. Some type of rack and pannier setup would be best if you carry any weight.

2. +1 for Aero Tech Designs. They are very clyde friendly (styles and sizes).

3. Computers are good for keeping you honest and for tracking. They can be a great tool, just like the scale.

4. I have carried both. I think a good frame pump is the way to go. Topeak Roadmorph is carried by lots of commuters and tourers.

5. I carry two bottles. There are many ways to add more. Most bikes have double eyelets. If not there are seat post racks or frame clamps.

6. After a week of riding, your butt isn't broken in yet. Figure it takes at least 100 miles to break in a seat/butt, but YMMV. Some seats may never be comfrtable, some are perfect right out of the box. Give it some time.
Old 07-13-10, 08:33 PM
the_doughboy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You're going to get different answers from almost everyone it seems.
1: You may want to wear a base layer under your jersey/shirt it can soak up a bunch of the sweat
2: I find that as long as its not European most 2X bike shorts should fit, the Sugoi and Loius Garneau 2x Bike shorts fit myself.
3: I use a bike computer mostly to watch my heart rate and check to see if my mind is wandering and my cadence is falling off.
4: Co2. It can get hard pumping the tire up over 100psi without a special kind of frame pump. And the CO2 is so quick and easy and small.
5: You'll get use to it as you go on, I was about one 24oz every 20 minutes when I started, now I'm about 1 an hour.
6: I think everyone is planning their next bike purchase as soon as they get their new one. Bike shorts can help with the comfort.
Old 07-13-10, 09:13 PM
Absenth

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by episodic
I was here the other week with the exploding bike tires on the fuji crosstown 4.0. They finally replaced the stock kenda tires with new kenda's that were of a different make and some new presta tubes. So far so good.

I'm over 300lbs and I started about 2 miles the first day. I've had the bike 7 days, just finished a 6.5 mile ride. My legs feel like death Seriously, walking is like spaghetti noodles dancing lol. . .

On the bike it feels better than walking now. I'm not going to lie, where I live is 'hilly'. Occasionally the burn is too much and I do walk up a few hills, and sometimes I just pull over to stand and rest a minute. Our whole town is up and down (foothills area), so at my weight hills are killer.

I've got some panracer pasela 700 x 35 tires on order (kevlar and higher pressures).

Here are some questions if you guys have time.
That's Awesome! Keep riding and it'll only get easier. There's no shame in stopping to rest, or even walk up some of the bigger hills. The fact you're on the bike, and appear to like it is a fantastic start.

1. I'm starting back to work in a few weeks. It is 3.5 miles away. So that'd be 7 miles a day ( a little more than I've worked up to in a week, but I think it is doable, since I'll be parking it for 8 hours). Anyway, the question is what is the best way to look presentable after a ride? Do you guys take a change of clothes with you? What is the best way to handle this? I live in the deep south and the humidity is 90% almost all of the time with 90-100 degree temps and I get 'soaking' wet riding - literally.
The first week I commuted to work I was lucky enough to get rained on two of the three days. I figured as long as I toweled myself off, and changed into work appropriate clothing I'd be fine. I have a one year old in the house, so I packed one of the travel packs of baby wipes. They worked on the days I didn't get rained on to at least partially clean myself up.

I have a rack on the back of my bike. The first couple commutes I bungee Corded a duffel bag to the top of the rack with my change of clothes inside two grocery store bags to keep them dry. I then borrowed a Waterproof pannier from a co-worker and continued to use that for a couple weeks while I waited for the Great Amazon (dot com) to come through with a set of panniers of my own.

2. Recommend some bike shorts that will fit someone with a 50 inch waist (sigh, I hate admitting that).
I can't help you with this one, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. Bike computers - worth it? I've been timing myself on my watch and using the map distance feature on google earth to get distance.
I love knowing how far I've gone, how long it's taken me, and what my current, and ride average speeds are. I've been keeping the distance, time, and avg. speed in a spreadsheet on my computer so I can track any progress I make.

4. Frame pump or co2 cartridge for emergencies? Please consider that my paselas will inflate to 90 psi - eventally, I'm looking at riding to my next town (15 miles) - would love to be prepared.
I currently have a mini-frame pump. It won't run out of air, which is nice, but it's not fast. In my saddle bag I keep a spare tube, and a patch kit, as well as a set of tire levers. I fully intend to add a CO2 pump, and spare cylinder to that pack since some of my commutes are time sensitive.

5. What do you guys do for water? I empty my water bottle halfway on a 6 mile ride lol
First step for me was I carry two large water bottles with me. It wasn't long after I started riding that I cut out drinking soda at work, and at home, and replaced it with more water. I found once I started drinking a lot more water during the day I didn't suck it down as fast while on the bike. If you can't get enough water in bottle cages, you can always add a camelback. some of them hold > 70oz of water, which can be used in conjunction with a couple of bottles in cages.

6. Is it bad that I'm already looking at different bikes? Sigh - I'm really interested in recumbents - still having lots of seat pain. The rans fusions look really nice. . . they have a max weight of 275 though - don't know if that is hard and fast or not. . . but I figure if I can get to 260 - that'll be my reward. . .
I don't think it's bad. I think cycling is a lot like Amateur (ham) Radio in a way. When you're first getting involved it's difficult to decide exactly what you want to do with the hobby/sport. Until you've got some time using "some" equipment it's difficult to make an informed decision. I set an artificial goal for myself. I started riding May 30th, 2010. I'd like to try to break 1500 miles before Jan 1. 2011. I had said I'd buy myself a new bike if I did it. I ended up buying the bike early and don't regret it. I'm still pushing towards my 1500 miles though.

Thanks to whatever thoughts you guys might have. . . I'll listen
Glad to offer whatever help I can

Here's a photo of the bike I just purchased a couple weeks ago. It's a Surly Long Haul Trucker. The panniers are Delta Expedition bags. They're attached to a Brontrager Rack-I rack. And the seat bag is some ancient thing I've had since I was a kid.

This is the 1984 Trek 520 I started commuting with, with the loaner pannier bag from my co-worker.
IMG_2497..jpg