Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Odd Sizing from Specialized?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 06:39 PM
Pedrot99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently posted to inquire as to whether or not my bike was the right or ideal size. My question was.....I have a 2004 Specialized FSR XC Pro and I was told my a bike shop that it is a medium and too big for me.

Here's the part that I didn't notice....There is a sticker on the frame that I think is the size....It says Specialized on top....on the bottom it says "Innovate or Die" and in the middle it has an "S". I thought the S was for Specialized but now I think it is the size....

The weird part.....I measured from the middle of the bottom bracket tot he top of the seat tube collar and it is def either 17 or 17.5 inches which would be a medium by any brand. I really can't figure out if the bike was mislabeled, if Specialized changed their sizing or what. Or maybe that "S" really is just for specialized.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-09, 07:33 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a picture of it, but from the sounds of it it may be the frame size.

Chris
Old 05-10-09, 07:37 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
From what you've said, you've got a medium bike with a sizing sticker that says "small".
My 05 FSR XC Comp is 17" and has the same label with an "M".
Old 05-11-09, 01:56 AM
varminter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine has the same thing, but instead of having an "M", there is a "17".
Old 05-11-09, 02:15 AM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedrot99
The weird part.....I measured from the middle of the bottom bracket tot he top of the seat tube collar and it is def either 17 or 17.5 inches which would be a medium by any brand. I really can't figure out if the bike was mislabeled, if Specialized changed their sizing or what. Or maybe that "S" really is just for specialized.

Any thoughts?
I could be wrong but I understand that the frame size is the length of the effective top tube length. What you have measured on the other hand is the seat tube length.

Old 05-11-09, 02:26 PM
lofnsjoke
SPOON!!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocko
I could be wrong but I understand that the frame size is the length of the effective top tube length. What you have measured on the other hand is the seat tube length.

road bikes measure TT for size, mtn bikes are usually measured via seat tube for size
Old 05-11-09, 04:52 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lofnsjoke
road bikes measure TT for size, mtn bikes are usually measured via seat tube for size
This took me by surprise, but I did some digging and you're right... I stand corrected.

I come from a BMX dirt background in which all frames of various sizes have extremely low if not similar stand-over heights - for obvious clearance needed for jumping and bunny hopping (same reason why MTB jump bikes and trials bikes have really short seat tubes as well). Like road bikes, BMX frame sizing is also primarily based on TT length because a taller rider would need more "cockpit" room (effective distance from BB to handlebar).

I had wrongly assumed all these years that MTBs are measured similarly by TT. On one sizing website, it even mentions that some MTB frames of the same seat tube length (same frame size) may have short or long TT length... how bizarre!

Oh well, we learn everyday...