Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Anyone else loving "crank-forward" bikes?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Anyone else loving "crank-forward" bikes?

Old 08-03-11, 08:15 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Just thought I'd mention, RANS has a crank-forward discussion forum on its site, as part of its "Into the Ride" forums. Of course, it's meant for RANS issues and discussions!

https://forums.ransbikes.com/index.php
That's actually where I found mine for sale!
Old 08-03-11, 08:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
The cop next-door is an avid mtn-biker, and also has a crank-forward bike he likes to cruise around on, (when he is off-duty).
Old 08-11-11, 11:39 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i build myself crank forward chopper-ish bikes and stretch cruisers all the time. now if i hop on an upright bike i take it down the street, then come back and get my cruiser

i come to this forum part for ideas and part because i'm working my way "down" to trying to build a full on recunbent.
Old 08-12-11, 01:55 AM
Mr Gnome

Bikes: Sun X3-SX recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Philphine,

Really nice work!

i come to this forum part for ideas and part because i'm working my way "down" to trying to build a full on recunbent.
Have you been to Bentrider on-line? https://www.bentrideronline.com/ There is a home builders board in the forums you might like to check out. I'll also see if I can find the URL to a site that the man's bikes are total works of art and edit it in here on my reply.

Josh Hadar's bikes https://hadarmetaldesign.com/gallery.php

Bob

Last edited by Mr Gnome; 08-12-11 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Add a URL
Old 08-12-11, 05:22 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i think i've seen both of these sites, or at least pics of the hadar bikes as a stumble across. this time i'll bookmark them. thanks.
Old 12-20-11, 05:45 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Raleigh Gruv(6 years) and a Sun Sunray( 5 years). I have upgrade some parts and went to friction shifting. The most comfortable bike I have rode.
Old 02-03-12, 02:21 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned both a RANS Zenetik and RANS Alterra. Built both up from framesets. They are more comfortable than a DF, but not near as comfortable as a bent. Much easier on your posterior than a DF saddle. The problem I had with the CF's were that the Zenetik was just not aero and to get aero on it you were way more uncomfortable than getting aero on a DF. The Alterra was a little more aero and there was no toe overlap with the front wheel, but I was getting as much hand pressure as on a DF. They do climb fairly well and you can stand on the Zen and Alterra but it is awkward compared to a DF standing position. A good lightweight road DF will out climb a CF.

I eventually gave up on the CF's. Just decided to stick with bents. Bents are more aero and more comfortable. The Fusion and Cruz make the most sense to me because they are excellent as commuters. Easy on the hands and rear end, you sit upright so easy to see in traffic, and can stop flat footed. The performance CF's makes less sense to me. Not that much more comfortable than a DF. You are basically a wind sail, and no climbing advantage over a DF. When compared to a bent they are not near as comfortable, and not as aero.
Old 02-04-12, 09:06 AM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride LWB Recumbents however have test ridden a Day 6. It seemed comfortable but not a bike to use in a hurry. I am hoping to be able to afford a Rans Fusion possibly next fall. The crank forward bike seems to be a perfect fit for a Bionx assist. My girlfriend or gran kids could use it while riding with me.
https://store.petesebikes.com/1D2+Fusion+BionX+.html
Old 02-10-12, 10:44 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iambent
The problem I had with the CF's were that the Zenetik was just not aero and to get aero on it you were way more uncomfortable than getting aero on a DF.
I don't know... I did okay on mine....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (89.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-26-12, 02:43 PM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a Trek Pure that is my favorite neighborhood cruiser with a 7 speed and a decent low gear that I can go up any of the hills I've encountered, but even on a downhill I would be really pushing it to go faster than 18 mph.

It's about as comfortable a bike as I ever had, but like it's been said, you aren't going to win any races.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ion/pure/pure/#
Old 03-14-12, 07:55 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo47
It's about as comfortable a bike as I ever had, but like it's been said, you aren't going to win any races.
Maybe that one doesn't go very fast, but the RANS Zenetik shown in the post above can go pretty darn quick. And yes, it will win races.
Old 03-14-12, 08:01 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (69.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-18-12, 06:10 PM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for introducing me to this bicycle. I believe This may be what I have been looking for. I have had both hands, carpal tunnel surgery, r/h cubital tunnel surgery on right elbow, right shoulder surgery. I Also have had a Great toe fusion and a menscus tear repaired on my right knee/foot. When riding this bike are you putting pressure/weight on your hands? Is this bicycle like riding a recumbent? I have been riding a stationaray recumbent bike for a while but it was very boring. I started riding my regular bicycle but I have trouble with my weight on the handle bars and also weight on my right foot and knee, I can only stand on my left foot or sit while riding. I am also unable to stand and pedal. Where did you buy this bicycle?.
Old 07-21-12, 08:35 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best endorsement I can give RANS is that mine was stolen last week. I plan on replacing it.
Old 07-21-12, 10:42 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by otis66
Thanks for introducing me to this bicycle. I believe This may be what I have been looking for. I have had both hands, carpal tunnel surgery, r/h cubital tunnel surgery on right elbow, right shoulder surgery. I Also have had a Great toe fusion and a menscus tear repaired on my right knee/foot. When riding this bike are you putting pressure/weight on your hands? Is this bicycle like riding a recumbent? I have been riding a stationaray recumbent bike for a while but it was very boring. I started riding my regular bicycle but I have trouble with my weight on the handle bars and also weight on my right foot and knee, I can only stand on my left foot or sit while riding. I am also unable to stand and pedal. Where did you buy this bicycle?.
Unlike riding a recumbent stationary exercise machine, riding a recumbent bicycle is not boring.
Old 07-31-12, 11:50 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otis66
I picked this bike up secondhand while traveling. There are dealers that feature RANS bikes. A quick search on their website should point you towards a dealer relatively near you. With regards to pressure on the hands - it's there. It's not as severe (in my experience) as a typical upright bicycle, but there is still some weight on the hands. The upside is that you can adjust the bike to relieve this pressure even more than I have. You don't stand to pedal a CF bike.
Old 08-01-12, 07:30 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
I picked this bike up secondhand while traveling. There are dealers that feature RANS bikes. A quick search on their website should point you towards a dealer relatively near you. With regards to pressure on the hands - it's there. It's not as severe (in my experience) as a typical upright bicycle, but there is still some weight on the hands. The upside is that you can adjust the bike to relieve this pressure even more than I have. You don't stand to pedal a CF bike.
Some RANS can be pedaled standing while others can't be. For example, my Dynamik (now stolen) is one which can be pedaled standing. Those which can be are so ID"d on the RANS site.
Old 08-10-12, 11:54 AM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slide
Some RANS can be pedaled standing while others can't be. For example, my Dynamik (now stolen) is one which can be pedaled standing. Those which can be are so ID"d on the RANS site.
This much is true. I can only speak for the machine I ride. I probably should have worded my statement more clearly to indicate that.
Old 08-14-12, 12:39 PM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I usually ride a LWB to avoid back and neck aches but find it too hard to transport. Tried a Townie and loved the ride. Decided to do a hack on a folding bike we had .

Basically did a double bend on the seatpost to move the effective seat tube line about 4 inches back. Then used a cruiser bar to bring bar closer to rider for a more upright position. The position is like a Townie. Will try to redo the hack over the winter by welding a new bottom bracket in front of the existing one. I can then use an unbent post for safety. I can move the bottom crank shell at least 4 in forward without pedal/wheel overlap.

Old 08-15-12, 04:49 AM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
JGaerlan, that's a great idea on the seat post. I had a Bike Friday New World Tourist folding bike for work commute. The riding position was just too uncomfortable. I searched the interweb for a "setback" seatpost to get a little "Townie crank-forward" action but had no luck finding one. Maybe you can patent the idea?
Old 08-15-12, 09:48 AM
JGaerlan

Thanks for the compliment trestlhed, but the idea is not my original. I like looking at really old bike pictures and I think this is a rehash
of a BMX offset seatpost. Maybe just sexier with the curves.

For your bike Friday, maybe check the BMX posts like
https://compare.ebay.com/like/2306186...Types&var=sbar

Problem with BMX posts is that they are usually 22.2mm dia so you may have to shim. It also
may not be long enough. Worst case, get a straight gage cromoly tubing of dia close enough.
then reweld or bend to offset. Just make sure wall thickness is strong enough and maybe cross brace for safety.

I think with the aging baby boomers, we may see more upright riding bikes even in folders.
Old 08-17-12, 04:12 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That ebay seat post is interesting. Doesn't look like a modern seat would mount to it. It has plenty of "set-back" though.
Old 08-17-12, 09:18 PM
oddball

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Specialized Roubaix, Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale Super V, Electra Straight 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Electra Straight 8 that I fell in love with when I first saw it at the bike store. I honestly wasn't looking to buy a new bike when I was there but took it for a test ride and had to take it home.

Ive been thinking about buying a Rans frame kit and transferring some of the parts off a no longer used DF onto it.

For those who might be looking for more aero, Zzipper makes a fairing for Rans CFs.
Old 08-20-12, 06:28 AM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job on the folder. I rIde a Sun Sunray and Raleigh Gruv, Crank Forwards. Been going to get a Folder, your seatpost will work for me. Thanks.
Old 08-20-12, 08:31 AM
JGaerlan

Some interesting stats on the crank forward design. Electra bikes which makes the Townie has a 3.5% market share in the US. For a niche bike company, pretty impressive. They market to non bike oriented media - like fashion magazines, lifestyle etc. With the growing baby boomer market, I think we will see more of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.