Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grinding sound when standing and sprinting?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-08-15, 08:25 PM
Alias530
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a cross bike that I just built a wheelset for. I got on the trainer earlier and noticed it did it on the factory wheelset too (that I'm now using with slick tires for road biking).

In my 3-4 smallest cogs if I stand and sprint, I get a grinding/crunching sound. What could this be?

Shifting is flawless, hangar is straight, and it does it on two different wheelsets/cassettes. The bike has maybe 400 miles on it and I maintain/clean it to an almost OCD level.
Old 02-08-15, 08:44 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
won't venture a guess, but interested.
Old 02-08-15, 09:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
First things first. Take a look at the crowns and sides of your tires, and check for any signs of rubbing. Sometimes sprinting deflect the bike enough for the tire to rub on the yoke of the trainer. If that's the issue, there should be visible marks or dust.

If what you're hearing is more by way of a whirring or buzz, it might be chordal action. We think of chains and sprockets as if they were ropes on pulleys, but that's not the reality. The chain runs on sprockets more like a rope running on a pulley that's a multi-sided figure having as many sides as the sprocket has teeth. That means the radius changes as the chain is pulling on a flat vs. a corner. So the chain is moving up and down X times per sprocket revolution, plus the sprocket speed (or chain speed) changes that many times also.

That produces vertical vibration, plus tension vibration and a noticeable grinding. This becomes more pronounced as the number of teeth are reduced, and would be very obvious if you imaging a sprocket having only 3 or 4 sides.

By analogy, imagine riding on wheels that have 32 sides, or 16 sides, or 8, 6, 4 or even 3.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-08-15, 09:04 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
First things first. Take a look at the crowns and sides of your tires, and check for any signs of rubbing. Sometimes sprinting deflect the bike enough for the tire to rub on the yoke of the trainer. If that's the issue, there should be visible marks or dust.

if what you're hearing is more by way of a whirring or buzz, it might be chordal action. We think of chains and sprockets as if they were ropes on pulleys, but that's not the reality. The chain runs on sprockets more like a rope running on a pulley that's a multi-sided figure having as many sides as the sprocket has teeth. That means the radius changes as the chain is pulling on a flat vs. a corner. So the chain is moving up and down X times per sprocket revolution, plus the sprocket speed (or chain speed) changes that many times also.

That produces vertical vibration, plus tension vibration
I thought it might be rubbing but it does it on a 25mm road tire too and the frame had clearance for 50+mm tires

sounds like its metal crunching/grinding

there's some rubbing from those rubber spike things on new tires on the inside of the front fork
Old 02-08-15, 10:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Alias530
I thought it might be rubbing but it does it on a 25mm road tire too and the frame had clearance for 50+mm tires

sounds like its metal crunching/grinding

there's some rubbing from those rubber spike things on new tires on the inside of the front fork
I wasn't thinking of rubbing within the bike, but against the yoke that supports the trainer's roller. The axle supports aren't super rigid, so when working hard the bike can rock, moving the tire along the roller. Flex hard enough and the tire moves beyond the end of the roller and rubs the supporting yoke.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-08-15, 10:43 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't thinking of rubbing within the bike, but against the yoke that supports the trainer's roller. The axle supports aren't super rigid, so when working hard the bike can rock, moving the tire along the roller. Flex hard enough and the tire moves beyond the end of the roller and rubs the supporting yoke.
Oh whoops sorry if I wasn't clear... I have two wheelsets. I noticed it on the road a few days ago and on the trainer earlier with the other wheelset/cassette
Old 02-08-15, 10:50 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Does it make this noise riding on the road, or only on the trainer?
Old 02-08-15, 11:17 PM
FBinNY 

I never know how much the OP knows or has done prior to posting, so forgive the following question.

You describe "metal crunching/grinding" when using the outer 1/3rd of the cassette. Any chance we're talking about simple chain/front derailleur cage rub?

Otherwise, consider chain plate rub on the chain ring teeth, with lack of lube, or maybe a bit of grit. Simple test here, add some oil to your chain and see if the nature of the sound changes.

Old 02-09-15, 08:04 AM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Does it make this noise riding on the road, or only on the trainer?
Both. That statement just meant I've tried two different wheels and cassettes and the same problem is there
Old 02-09-15, 08:05 AM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never know how much the OP knows or has done prior to posting, so forgive the following question.

You describe "metal crunching/grinding" when using the outer 1/3rd of the cassette. Any chance we're talking about simple chain/front derailleur cage rub?

Otherwise, consider chain plate rub on the chain ring teeth, with lack of lube, or maybe a bit of grit. Simple test here, add some oil to your chain and see if the nature of the sound changes.
i guess it could be rubbing the front derailleur. I'll have my fiancée record a video next time I'm on the trainer.

is it nothing to worry about it that's the case?
Old 02-09-15, 09:03 AM
EnsitMike

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
i guess it could be rubbing the front derailleur. I'll have my fiancée record a video next time I'm on the trainer.

is it nothing to worry about it that's the case?
I was wondering if this was it as well. It is just a matter of adjusting your limit screws.

Put your bike in the biggest gear combo you have, big up front small in back, then take a flashlight and hold it under the chain at the front derailleur and backpedal the bike. The light will help you see if it is rubbing at all. Video shouldn’t be necessary.

Skip to 1:20

Last edited by EnsitMike; 02-09-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 10:16 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnsitMike
I was wondering if this was it as well. It is just a matter of adjusting your limit screws.

Put your bike in the biggest gear combo you have, big up front small in back, then take a flashlight and hold it under the chain at the front derailleur and backpedal the bike. The light will help you see if it is rubbing at all. Video shouldn’t be necessary.

Skip to 1:20
Thanks for the video... it only happens when standing and mashing though. And it happens in my 8th-11th cogs. In the 8th cog, it's far enough away I wouldn't think derailleur limit would matter??
Old 02-09-15, 10:55 PM
FBinNY 

Read this thread. Sounds like you have the same problem, and the diagnosis and possible resolution would be the same.

Old 02-10-15, 07:51 PM
Scratcher09

Bikes: '80 Miyata 210, '05 Fuji Team Issue, '75 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 2010 BMC Racemaster, '77 Raleigh Grand Prix, '83 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound like a problem I experienced recently. Turns out when I was installing my BB (octalink) the splines were not completely engaged so when I would put a large amount of pressure on the crank I would hear and feel a click/crunch. Check your BB.