Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Saddle competition! Brooks Colt vs Selle Italia Turbo vs Selle Italia Flite Classic

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Saddle competition! Brooks Colt vs Selle Italia Turbo vs Selle Italia Flite Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 11:10 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cDiff Notorious
I bought a Brooks Swift saddle a month ago and my ass loved it right away. I didn't feel like it needed some break in as it was more comfortable than my stock Wabi saddle. I just applied some proofide and rode away. The saddle came with the wrench, rain cover, and proofide. I never really worried about the saddle getting wet since my ass sits on it and the saddle bag that I use covers most of the underside. If anything just get a fender and apply some proofide every 6 months.
Just get a fender... Are you serious?
Old 06-20-15, 11:17 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I kind of figured that riding it more would change its appearance. Just like riding a bike with a chain that got wet and rusted overnight, riding it makes the rust go away alone although lubing it first isnt a bad idea though either. So I kind of just want to know if there is any "quick fix" and further down the line the best ways to keep my saddle in its best shape.

the sunshine before the rain
The saddle leather is absolutely brimming with lubricants and preservatives so the chance that you did any long term damage is minimal. Unlike combat boots, motorcycle jackets, and horse saddles, there's no body inside to support the leather when it gets wet. It is essentially a hammock, stretched between two points and the "body" sits on top and stresses, not supports, the leather.

The upshot of this design is that when your saddle gets wet it is more prone to stretching and deforming. If you really soak it, the lubricants and preservatives in the leather will start to get displaced by water and the leather will eventually dry out. Notice the language, it's a process, over time. Any saddle can be over-ridden in the right or wrong conditions until it wears out, but who dedicates themselves to doing it? You've got tons of miles left and certainly hundreds of downpours too.

Discoloration of your saddle is normal.

Last edited by cale; 06-20-15 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-20-15, 12:04 PM
sickz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
favorite selle series would have to be the aspide... quite comfortable.

Old 06-20-15, 12:43 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked up a really nice condition used Ideale 90 from a local CL seller for the bargain price of $50. Gave it a couple of drenchings with Lexol over the past several days, and mounted it on my Tommasini (replacing a beautifully broken-in Ideale 80 which needed the tension bolt tightened about 1/4", and which I'm going to mount on my Paramount PDG Series 7, instead of the Fizik Antares that's on there now). In the past couple of days, I've put about 40 miles on the Ideale 90 and it's already comfortable.
Old 06-20-15, 02:11 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
I do have a slight problem, I bought an aero water bottle cage that is supposed to clamp onto the back of my saddle rails. The problem is that it doesn't seem compatible with either of my seats. In case you were wondering the model is the "X-Lab Delta Wing 100" So I am thinking of choosing a spare seat that is compatible with it so that I have water handy for those really long and hot rides.

Edit: I'm thinking of getting the flite saddle, I just found one used for a great price. Does anyone know if it will be compatible?

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 06-20-15 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 02:19 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
If you find a saddle that works for those long rides then I would suggest sticking with that one instead of doing saddle swaps. Switching saddles just before a big ride is a bad idea.
Old 06-21-15, 08:55 AM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cale
Just get a fender... Are you serious?
Why not? It helps to prevent the water from getting on the underside of the saddle.
Old 06-21-15, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Vain about Mudguars? you could stuff a wad of plastic bags under your Leather saddle, or just wrap it up entirely in a plastic bag ?
Old 06-21-15, 10:16 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cDiff Notorious
Why not? It helps to prevent the water from getting on the underside of the saddle.
I was exaggerating a response. The title of the new thread would be "Does my fender make my saddle look big?"
Old 06-22-15, 06:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I just picked up a really nice condition used Ideale 90 from a local CL seller for the bargain price of $50. Gave it a couple of drenchings with Lexol over the past several days, and mounted it on my Tommasini (replacing a beautifully broken-in Ideale 80 which needed the tension bolt tightened about 1/4", and which I'm going to mount on my Paramount PDG Series 7, instead of the Fizik Antares that's on there now). In the past couple of days, I've put about 40 miles on the Ideale 90 and it's already comfortable.
Go easy with the leather treatments, as too much will ruin your saddle (which sounds like what might have happened with your mod. 80 saddle). If the top of your saddle is marked «rodée main selon D. Rebour» it was pre-softened and treated at the factory and shouldn't require anything extensive, maybe just a judicious application of SnoSeal or Proofide once or twice a year.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 06-22-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 07:12 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Go easy with the leather treatments, as too much will ruin your saddle (which sounds like what might have happened with your mod. 80 saddle). If the top of your saddle is marked «rodée main selon D. Rebour» it was pre-softened and treated at the factory and shouldn't require anything extensive, maybe just a judicious application of SnoSeal or Proofide once or twice a year.

I'm very familiar with Ideale saddles. My example of the Ideale Model 90 did NOT have the Daniel Rebour treatment. And my conditioning routine is really just a one time thing before I mount the saddle for the first time. As for my Model 80, it's not ruined at all, it's just fine. It was just sagging a bit from being 37 years old, and it just needed the tensioning bolt to be tightened up a few turns after having been ridden for many many years. I had not actually tightened it since maybe 1990. After having tightened it just under 1/4", it's as good as new - and actually, I've never given this Ideale 80 saddle the aforementioned Lexol treatment, as I didn't know about it when I first got this seat in 1978. I just rode the thing for many years and many thousands of miles to break it in. In actuality, the Ideale 80 leather is somewhat thinner than that of the Ideale 90, or the top of the line Brooks seats (i.e. the Swift, Swallow, and Professional). It's more directly comparable to the B17. The Ideale 90 without the Daniel Rebour treatment - much like a Brooks Professional, needs some sort of pre-conditioning to make it rideable early on, and that's what I did. It's already riding quite comfortably, after only about 60 miles since I mounted it.