Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

First time bike buyer

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

First time bike buyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 02:27 PM
Nosh22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time bike buyer

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at purchasing a bike and am overwhelmed by the options out there!
I haven't owned a bike since I was 13 (I'm 34 now). I wanted to get one mainly to ride with the kids and so we can explore a bit further than we can when I'm the only one on foot.
Point to keep in mind that I had saddle soreness from a 45 min spinning class that lasted a few days. And I started feeling it just a few mins into the class.
Can I just go and pick one up front Costco/Canadian tire? Also, does it matter if u get an aluminum or steel bike? And what bike should I get? We would also like to eventually take the kids on a easy trial so would want something that would work there too.
Thanks!
Old 05-24-16, 09:27 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nosh22
I'm looking at purchasing a bike and am overwhelmed by the options out there!... I wanted to get one mainly to ride with the kids and so we can explore a bit further than we can when I'm the only one on foot.
It sounds like you know what you want to do with it, so that ought to help you narrow down your options. I'd suggest looking at hybrids as a starting point. They're reasonably sporty, can handle some mild stuff off-pavement if your kids want to wander off down a trail or across a park, and they tend to offer a reasonably upright position that lends itself to comfort (and keeping an eye on kids). A good, inexpensive example would be a Trek 7.0 FX.

Some hybrids have a suspension fork, which might come in handy for some light trail riding. If you're going to be riding on pavement and just light trails, I'd personally stick with a rigid fork. They're zero-maintenance, cheaper, and lighter. If you don't need it, don't spend money and add weight. On the other hand, if you do opt for a bike with a suspension fork, at least make sure it's a halfway decent one. You'd be better off with no suspension than a bad suspension fork, on pavement or off.

Point to keep in mind that I had saddle soreness from a 45 min spinning class that lasted a few days.
That could be attributable to a number of things, including chafing from clothing (cyclists wear special shorts for a reason), a saddle that doesn't agree with your backside, or poor saddle/pedal/handlebar positioning. Any of those can turn a fun activity into something miserable.

Can I just go and pick one up front Costco/Canadian tire?
I don't know what kinds of offerings they have at Canadian Tire. Sometimes there are decent buys at Costco, but you'd really have to do some homework to spot the good bikes and avoid the bad ones. In general, stay away from big box stores like Walmart or Target. (Well, never mind Target in Canada, but you know what I mean.)

I'd suggest stopping by some bike shops, getting some opinions there, and taking a look at their offerings. Yes, they may be a bit more expensive, but their entry-level bikes shouldn't be ridiculously expensive compared to big box stores and will generally be much better in quality. And a good shop will have knowledgeable people to help you pick out an appropriate bike so you're not throwing your money away on something that's not practical or doesn't fit. Try a few shops if you have to, to find someone you like and trust. Also, bike shops tend to include some post-sale support like tuneups and maintenance with the purchase of a bike.

Also, does it matter if u get an aluminum or steel bike?
There are good bikes made from both, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck picking out a bike, and have run riding with the kids! (Mine are 11 and 12 and I love getting out for rides with them!)
Old 05-24-16, 10:02 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You will definitely pay more if you buy a bike from a bike shop compared to a mass merchandiser. You will also get a bike that has been assembled by a mechanic, not somebody who stocks the shelves in the morning and assembles bikes in the afternoon. Either that or they will give you the bike in a box and you assemble it yourself. The bike shop will know how to sell you one that actually fits your size, not one that is "one size fits all". I have the personal experience of dealing with a kid who showed up for a 10 mile ride with a brand new WalMart bike that fell apart (pedals were never tightened by the assembler) within 3 miles. Two weeks later he had his 3rd WalMart bike. This one stayed together but it was one of those fancy aluminum frame monstrosities with dual suspension. Only problem was it weighed about half of his weight. It was a series of 7 rides culminating in a 50 mile ride. He never made it beyond 15 miles. Get one with a decent number of gears as that will allow you to find a gear suitable for most any terrain. Lighter is always better too.
Old 05-25-16, 11:15 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went the Canadian Tire route quite some time ago.
I rode it quite a bit. Not knowing what else is out there: I just wanted a bike that I could ride - and was cheap. It did the trick and has lasted.

If you intend or, rather, commit to riding a lot: you'll want to make sure that you have a bike that fits you, is light and uses decent components.

My Supercycle is not light (tank-like), the suspension is budget but the derailleur/shifters are solid and the wheels have taken a lot of abuse without much sign of it. It let me go exploring trails when I was younger and is my mule when I tow both kids in the trailer (now that I've fixed it up). I've even replaced the bearings and bottom bracket with some used components to keep it going.
Old 05-25-16, 11:32 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Go with a decent bike. Stay away from big box stores. Obvious choice if you can afford it is your local bike shop. You can't go far wrong buying from a bike shop. Used is another option, if you know what to look for.

Keep in mind that when it comes to entry level bikes (retail of $400 to $600), less is more. Look for a bike with a lightweight frame and solid fork, and quality components. Stay away from suspension seatposts and forks, because they add weight and complexity and at the lower price points, they suck.
Old 05-26-16, 08:26 PM
Nosh22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your input. There's a couple of bike stores in my area so will go visit them and see how it goes. Thank you again!
Old 05-26-16, 08:29 PM
Nosh22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought of another question - is there a difference between bikes for men and women?
Old 05-27-16, 07:26 AM
WinNT

Bikes: Peugeot City 200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just thought of another question - is there a difference between bikes for men and women?
Yes there is.

First of all women bikes usually have low frame for easy mount. Also geometry is a bit different and saddle can be different.
But I tried female bike and it was ok for me. And I know many girls who ride male bikes. So the difference is not too much if you are not a professional racer.