Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Patina...When is it too much?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-29-16, 03:27 AM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Patina, as defined by Wikipedia, is "a thin layer that variously forms on the surface of stone; on copper, bronze and similar metals (tarnish produced by oxidation or other chemical processes);[1] on wooden furniture (sheen produced by age, wear, and polishing); or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective covering to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing.

"...Figuratively, patina can refer to any fading, darkening or other signs of age, which are felt to be natural or unavoidable (or both)."

So, with that being said, a bicycle can be maintained and through time will acquire its own patina, which is fine. I have no problem with it as long as the damage is within reason for the age of the bike. My question is what factors make it too much or unappealing?

I ask because I'm planning on getting my 85 Allez SE frame painted. The frame is in superb condition with normal rock dings, minor scratches, and very little rust, but suffers from heavy paint fading on one side due to prolonged storage and sun exposure without being moved for 20 or so years. Basically, the exposed side is pink (about 50-55% of the bike) and the other side is red.
Old 06-29-16, 04:04 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
It is defined by you. When I purchased my '83(ish) Colnago Superissimo, all I could think of was a repaint and new decals. Today, 7 years later, I wouldn't touch it. It meets the definition provided as does yours. Mine has scratches down to the metal in a number of places as well as dings on the decals.
[IMG]P9201318, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]P9201315, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the right distance, it doesn't look bad.
[IMG]1983 Colnago Superissimo, on Flickr[/IMG]

They are original only once. I have a small number of bikes there were rattle canned, so they were lower in price and candidates for repaint.
Old 06-29-16, 05:02 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
What you describe on your Allez is damage. From the sun. Not patina.
It's common around here for the two to be confused with one another.

All it takes is a careful reading of that definition above to determine that most of
what is seen on old bikes, isn't patina.

I'd have it re-painted if it were mine.
Old 06-29-16, 05:04 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I tend to like bikes to be kept in original condition...but...that typically only applies to really collectible bikes...yours as a Specialized Allez...not the most collectible...so paint it if you like. As for patina, the amount is DEFINITELY in the eye of the beholder...I can stand quite a bit to keep a 1950's or 60's bike in original condition...as for my more modern bikes, I can stand a bit less...
Old 06-29-16, 05:22 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 36Oly_Rider
...I ask because I'm planning on getting my 85 Allez SE frame painted. The frame is in superb condition with normal rock dings, minor scratches, and very little rust, but suffers from heavy paint fading on one side due to prolonged storage and sun exposure without being moved for 20 or so years. Basically, the exposed side is pink (about 50-55% of the bike) and the other side is red.
My project bike is 'two toned' like yours and I'm going to repaint. On the other hand I have had a now old bike for over twenty years with several scuffs and scratches in the paint, mostly my fault, that I wouldn't repaint for anything.

Brad
Old 06-29-16, 05:46 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
"Patina" is a much nicer way of describing damage than saying "rusted, scratched and chipped". How much is too much, will always be the owner's call, however...

Once you eradicate the paitna, you are left with an unoriginal bicycle and the value will drop. Guys like me have little or no interest in repainted bicycles, and powder coated ones are completely off of my "will buy" list.

So, my Legnano is about the limit of what is acceptable in the patina world, but just barely...

As found...

Going to take it out for a spin today, and it still bears all of its patina...

Had the art suffered the way the top tube did, a repainting would be in absolute order. But the art is still pretty good and I have no intention of painting the bicycle. And, the patina has absolutely no impact on ride quality, except that I am not too worried about adding another paint chip or scratch. On the other hand...

This old Torpado does get the Full Monty, simple because the Italian quick release paint has, pretty much, released and the art, what little is left, is pretty bad...

Also, under that patina rests a full polished chrome plated frame and fork set. I am about to shoot the second color this week, as soon as the primary light blue dries to sanding condition.

So, to summarize - if the art is still good, leave the paint and art untouched (well some touch up is OK). Ride the bicycle the way it is for a season, or two or... The point is, you can do the paint and art thing anytime, or a hundred times, if you wish. But you can't ever do original again, once painted.
Old 06-29-16, 07:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Patina -- when it becomes rust and not patina - then that is too much
Old 06-29-16, 07:31 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I have multiple bikes and have not been able to bring myself to repaint any with patina. Some are rough but it is character IMO. And it's funny but people that don't know bikes seem to be more attracted and will comment as it looks older.

I do have one with a TT dent I am debating whether it's worth repair/paint.

For a grail type I would rather pay decent money for an old wall hanger than repaint one and put money into.
Old 06-29-16, 07:45 AM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
My Holdsworth 531 Special has just gone off to be readied for a paint job purely because I couldn't see how bad the rusty bits were. Shot blast, fill and sand, repaint.
Old 06-29-16, 07:51 AM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm respraying the drive side chainstay on a 1985 Fuji Sagres I just got. It had gotten chipped up, and the chips had rusted, and the rust had spread and deepened and would have continued until it went all the way through. There was some pretty nice pitting.

I agree with DMC707, because rust you ignore will get worse. You at least need to clearcoat over it.

Last edited by Seizedpost; 06-29-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 08:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
"Patina" is a much nicer way of describing damage than saying "rusted, scratched and chipped". ...
In other words, we (on this forum) use it as a euphemism. We pretend damage is patina. This is a misuse of the term. Properly, patina is a change that occurs on the surface, often changing the color, sometimes adding a protective coating.

The powdery whitish coating that grows on polished aluminum (not on anodized or painted aluminum), that's patina. It also occurs on aluminum where the anodized coating has worn away. People on this forum often polish it off.

The yellowed clearcoat that turns a sky blue Bianchi to a turquoise green, that is also patina.

The coating of dried oil that accumulates around the BB and chain stays of old bikes, that is patina. Most people wash it off.
Old 06-29-16, 08:18 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I struggle with this one. For now it stays as is.
Old 06-29-16, 08:41 AM
rootboy 

What RHM said. Well put.
Old 06-29-16, 09:04 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's about the cycling equivalent to a "rat rod".
Old 06-29-16, 10:23 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I agree with the term 'patina' being misused often, but I do understand what it has come to mean on the forum. That being said, how much patina is too much is a personal decision. I don't mind honest chips and scratches, but Randy's Legnano or Peregrines Paramount are too much for me, I would have them repainted asap.
Old 06-29-16, 02:39 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting stuff... I agree with a lot of what is said and see how the term patina can be taken out of text. I know my bike is not necessarily "rare" or a hard-to-obtain 3Rensho Allez, but it does make me happy knowing that I have it. I don't really look at value like an avid collector would. I want it fresh, but I don't want it to detract from the original.

I do agree it is "damaged" due to the degradation of color, which is why I asked. I've been reading about painting bikes throughout the forum, but wasn't getting an honest answer regarding patinization of a bicycle.
Old 06-29-16, 03:14 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I do agree it is "damaged" due to the degradation of color, which is why I asked. I've been reading about painting bikes throughout the forum, but wasn't getting an honest answer regarding patinization of a bicycle.
If your frame is not clear coated, you might try an aggressive polish to see if you can get some of the color back.
Old 06-29-16, 03:30 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
If your frame is not clear coated, you might try an aggressive polish to see if you can get some of the color back.
Yeah, I tried and the clear coat is thick. I thought about sanding down through the clear coat, but either way, the decals will need to be replaced. I don't mind getting it painted, just trying to match things up is the hard part. I may still try sanding down the clear coat on the stays before I make an absolute decision, but reading about it, not too many people have had success with it...
Old 06-29-16, 03:46 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I refer to my bike's "patina" in sort of tongue in cheek way, to mean.....they're scratched up (paint).
Old 06-29-16, 03:50 PM
rootboy 

Maybe we can vote to use the word patina only in certain appropriate circumstances.
And the rest of the time, call it.... wear and tear? Weathering? Neglect damage?
...weartina?

:>
Old 06-29-16, 04:09 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
I always thought patina was in the eyes of the beholder. If it's "not" a Grail Bike do what you want with it. If it is a Grail Bike informed decisions need to be made.
Old 06-29-16, 04:39 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by op
I ask because ... the frame is in superb condition ... but suffers from ... sun exposure without being moved for 20 or so years. Basically, the exposed side is pink ... and the other side is red.
turn the bike around and check back in twenty years?

pink bikes are cool. and if they say 'faggin' on the side, you need some moxie to ride 'em.
Old 06-29-16, 04:40 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My question is what factors make it too much or unappealing? .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...648275350.html

When patina becomes a verb (or would that be an adverb)

"Frame has been patinaed"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (21.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-29-16, 05:03 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Patina around here seems to be an all inclusive term for actual aging and wear and tear.

This thread reminds me of the recent one regarding what classic is. Everyone has a similar mindset but different take.
Old 06-29-16, 05:10 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Patina around here seems to be an all inclusive term for actual aging and wear and tear.

This thread reminds me of the recent one regarding what classic is. Everyone has a similar mindset but different take.
^This. Kind of like the 10 blind men describing the proverbial elephant?

I've acquired something with patina. I'll try to post over the holiday weekend.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.