Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do road cyclists make better motorcyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do road cyclists make better motorcyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 11:31 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to race track. (Cycling) Then I moved onto motorcycles. My track cycling skills definitely helped!
Old 09-10-16, 12:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
The Tour of California finished stage 4 on the Laguna Seca race track, so all of the resident motorcycle experts can fee free to view this video and critique the rider's lines, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqqLuaM5rM
The Corkscrew is at 2:40 if you want to skip ahead to the actual cornering. Speaking of which...

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
The hard 'way round.

I was sitting high above turn 2 when this happened. Rossi was a few lengths behind when we lost them going behind the hill, when he popped out ahead going into 10, we all wondered what the hell had happened
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-10-16, 08:41 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
Yes. They're quite nice. Was looking at a Shiver...but alas - I like the idea of ABS and traction control. Something that Ducati, BMW + limited number of higher end Japanese bikes have.

On a separate note - I am thinking there are definite parallels between the two sports as espoused by a majority of the BF race bike respondents. It would be interesting to assemble some metrics here and there between the two. Seems a majority of the respondents are older than 30, have disposable income, professional(s), physically fit (non-negotiable really for a bike racer) and relatively conservative with regards to overall safety/POV. However, it's a limited, and selective pool which has responded to this thread. And to a large degree people that have some attributes like - balance, better eye sight, some physical conditioning (non-couch motorcycles) and a higher bandwidth for adventure/thrills will do both. Or had done one before the other. I would say that the entry-level machine is a bicycle ridden during the teen years.

Been interesting for sure. And the posted crash video is pretty bad.
The 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR/RF is absolutely filthy with advanced electronic aids, including ABS. I know because that is what I ride.
Old 09-10-16, 12:41 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
As we speak, I am camping on Lake Champlain in VT with my Ducati. Cycling helps motorcycling and vice versa.
Old 09-10-16, 01:12 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like the question got turned around.

Let's take potential motorcycle owner A who has never ridden a road bicycle or motorcycle in his life.

Potential motorcycle owner B has 13,000 miles of road cycling under his belt before ever throwing a leg over a motorcycle.

Which one would be the better motorcycle rider?
Old 09-10-16, 01:39 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
The 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR/RF is absolutely filthy with advanced electronic aids, including ABS. I know because that is what I ride.
That's a very nice Italian super bike - replete with cool and safe technology. The Ducati has the Safety pack and I do like ABS to the point of thinking of a add on bike ABS which isn't all that expensive. Bud Brake ABS Modulator - For Bicycles and Safer Cycling

Originally Posted by bruce19
As we speak, I am camping on Lake Champlain in VT with my Ducati. Cycling helps motorcycling and vice versa.
Envious. Camping with a Hypermotad? And I agree - prior experience helps either sport.

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Seems like the question got turned around.

Let's take potential motorcycle owner A who has never ridden a road bicycle or motorcycle in his life.

Potential motorcycle owner B has 13,000 miles of road cycling under his belt before ever throwing a leg over a motorcycle.

Which one would be the better motorcycle rider?
Rider B would be a better motorcycle rider having had some experience with cagers, hazards at speed, taking corners, maybe taking a fall etc. Also, anyone new to motorcycle riding would benefit from taking a basic Motorcycle Safety Course.
Old 09-10-16, 03:46 PM
bruce19

Actually I'm old school. 2005 SS1000DS.
Old 09-11-16, 05:26 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Essex
Rider B would be a better motorcycle rider having had some experience with cagers, hazards at speed, taking corners, maybe taking a fall etc.
Yes. And if the motorcyclist has taken more advanced classes and has some experience at the track, those skills and sensitivities would be even more useful. The effects of acceleration, deceleration, braking, power on the drivetrain vs. freewheeling/riding the clutch, adjustments to center of gravity ("dragging knee") etc. on stability and traction are equally applicable to bicycling. Not always to the same degree, but physics is physics. Bike handling is bike handling (though we never learned to do bunny hops in motorcycle school ).

Oops. Just realized I still got the question backwards. I don't think it works quite as well transferring from bicycling to motorcycling because with the latter one has to learn to contend with the effects of the suspension, but still, bike handling is bike handling, and if one has come to understand it well, the knowledge is transferable and makes skill development come more quickly.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-11-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 05:39 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my 100K+ miles of road cycling experience helped keep me safe when I first got a motorcycle 12 years ago @ age 46. Sold that bike last year, but rode it 20K for 11 years and never even had a close call, I was always very safety conscious and defensive. I didn't find motorcycling defensively all that differently from bicycling defensively.

I sold the motorcycle, the ST 1300 was replaced by a 2007 Corvette (stick). I can drive the Corvette without a helmet and wearing my flip flops.
Old 09-11-16, 05:42 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm pretty sure that my 100K+ miles of road cycling experience helped keep me safe when I first got a motorcycle 12 years ago @ age 46. Sold that bike last year, but rode it 20K for 11 years and never even had a close call, I was always very safety conscious and defensive. I didn't find motorcycling defensively all that differently from bicycling defensively.

I sold the motorcycle, the ST 1300 was replaced by a 2007 Corvette (stick). I can drive the Corvette without a helmet and wearing my flip flops.
Well, I mean, you could wear flip flops motorcycling.
Old 09-11-16, 06:44 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
You could.

I've never quite, though. But I used to be one of these guys running around on a sport bike in shorts. Then one day, about 4 years ago as I was going to the gym one fine afternoon, I turned a corner as an ambulance was driving by in the opposite direction. And, as the EMT slowed to a crawl and stared me down (I'm sure that he had scraped enough of our sticky messes off the pavement in his time to have warranted this), I said to myself: yes, I am really stupid; I admit it. After that I have been ATGATT!

And, yes, I think that motorcycle experience helps you in cycling and vise-versa (although I don't have any fancy graphs to prove the point. Some things you just know to be true. You know?).
Old 09-11-16, 10:30 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Not on my bike you couldn't for several reasons.
Old 09-13-16, 05:24 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Scarbo
You could.

I've never quite, though. But I used to be one of these guys running around on a sport bike in shorts. Then one day, about 4 years ago as I was going to the gym one fine afternoon, I turned a corner as an ambulance was driving by in the opposite direction. And, as the EMT slowed to a crawl and stared me down (I'm sure that he had scraped enough of our sticky messes off the pavement in his time to have warranted this), I said to myself: yes, I am really stupid; I admit it. After that I have been ATGATT!

And, yes, I think that motorcycle experience helps you in cycling and vise-versa (although I don't have any fancy graphs to prove the point. Some things you just know to be true. You know?).
I have been riding motorcycles since 1975 and I have been an MSF Instructor. I, too, am ATGATT.
Old 09-20-16, 05:30 PM
SooopaDoopa

Bikes: 2000 Kona Caldera, 1999 Ganna Road 04, 1983 Nishiki International

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
For anyone who hasn't seen it, this is what I'm talking about when I say professional cyclists would benefit from motorcycle track instruction. Looks like a bunch of newbies, and this is just one corner. I see it in almost every race, probably every mountain stage in the TDF riders go off course because they can't properly handle their bikes going through curves.

If these guys would have taken that curve on a sportbike it would have been bye bye for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdVMYo1H38

So true
Old 09-20-16, 06:31 PM
SooopaDoopa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
You still need to counter steer on a bicycle to make any reasonable sharp turn. It's just the weight of the bike is so light it takes a tiny fraction of what it takes on a motorcycle, and is not really noticeable.
I actually learned to counter steer on a bicycle as a teen long before I learned how to ride a motorcycle properly
Old 09-21-16, 10:15 AM
SpikedLemon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Actually I'm old school. 2005 SS1000DS.
I wish I could say my SS was on the road. I love the look and sound of it. I have an '03 900Sport in the garage that's not been ridden in far too long due to some kind of Italian issue (doesn't want to keep running when hot).
Old 09-21-16, 11:00 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
I wish I could say my SS was on the road. I love the look and sound of it. I have an '03 900Sport in the garage that's not been ridden in far too long due to some kind of Italian issue (doesn't want to keep running when hot).
Bummer. Wish I had the answer to you dilemma. I've had three...'97, '96 & and this '05 SS1000DS. Have done CT to CO and back a couple times and two 1,000 mi. days without a hiccup. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 09-22-16, 09:56 PM
SooopaDoopa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
I had that issue with a Kawi zx6. Turned out the ECU had gotten cooked and would randomly flake out and shut the bike off