Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I don't wear a helmet 8-15-18

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I don't wear a helmet 8-15-18

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 09:37 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I was listening to you until you posted that.

There will always be debate re: helmets. It's easy to test. Sit in a chair with a helmet on. Have someone strike you on the helmet with a bat. Hurts, maybe a concussion. Now, remove the helmet and do it again. Get back to me on that. Same with the vest.

If a part of your body needs impact protection in a general sense and years of experience support a protective device, it's up to you to decide if ego dictates you accept that risk on behalf of yourself or those you care about. Sometimes, others mandate it after debate and decision. So be it.

There will always be people who want to step outside the impact and focus on other parts of the equation, be it defensive driving, Superman reflexes, the art of falling, or the random points on a body not subject to impact protection or torsion forces. Control what you've convinced yourself you can, convincing others is pointless.
I think you are missing what I'm trying to say. Now common sense says you would want a vest if you were shot, or a helmet between your head and the pavement. I'm not suggesting to not wear your helmet. What I am talking about is "risk compensation" which can increase your risk of getting badly hurt. There's already an example of this in the thread where the writer stated that without his helmet on his usual ride he took it much slower and rode more cautiously.

Last edited by cbrstar; 08-30-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 10:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Scene at a triathlon. Bike paramedic with no helmet, situated directly in the path of competitors. I would have thought that most paramedics would have first hand experience with the aftermath of bicycle accidents and would be helmet advocates.
Old 08-30-18, 10:38 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I often wonder just how safe a helmet really is. I've seen two extremely bad experiences that I would like to share

My friend who was a avid cyclist was riding his bike on a dangerous section of the highway when a large Dodge truck with extended mirrors came up behind him and the mirror of the truck hit the back of his head at 100 km/hr. The helmet basically did nothing. He actually died 4 times but the medics revived him. The accident left him in a wheel chair and practically a vegetable. I really hate to say this but he might have been better off not making it.

The second time was in the 90's and I was at a indoor BMX competition. There was this kid who was jumping higher and higher trying to touch the ceiling when he suddenly missed the landing and hit his head right on the edge of the jump as he came down. The helmet didn't stop the edge of the ledge from splitting his skull open and he actually died!
Neither of the examples above have much bearing on how safe a helmet really is since they represent extreme examples at the far end of the universe of bike accidents and neither of them involved a rider's head hitting the road surface, which is what a helmet is designed to be protective of.

What bugs me about bicycle helmets there doesn't seem to be any safety rating like motorcycle helmets. When I go to buy a new motocycle helmet I look for the Snell rating so I know what I'm buying. With bicycle helmets your taking their word and your life in your hands.
What? You need to get your facts straight before posting:
  • The CPSC standard is a legal requirement for any helmet manufactured for the US market. It was adopted by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, and is mandatory for all helmets manufactured for sale in the U.S. after 1999. It was based on the ASTM and Snell standards below. It requires dropping the helmet 2 meters in the flat anvil test.
  • ASTM is the American Society for Testing and Materials, a standards setting organization. An ASTM sticker indicates an adequate helmet too. Some are certified by the Safety Equipment Institute, an independent non-profit, others only by the manufacturer. To meet ASTM a bicycle helmet also has to perform in a 2 meter drop on the flat anvil.
  • The Snell Memorial Foundation sets a somewhat higher B-95 standard with a 2.2 meter drop, but most helmets with a Snell sticker meet only their earlier B-90 standard, with a 2 meter drop comparable to ASTM. Snell tests helmets independently to certify them and retests samples bought in stores.
  • The old ANSI standard died some years back. It was too easy to meet. ANSI has replaced it by adopting the ASTM standard.
In addition to these older standards, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in collaboration with the Virginia Tech Helmet Lab recently released a helmet rating system.
Old 08-30-18, 10:54 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Want to respond here to a couple of posts where thoughts of safety beyond helmets begin to appear. Madpogue noticed what I said about the door zone and then remarked about extremely badly designed bike lanes near him. If the bike lane is that bad do not ride the bike lane. Local ordinances telling drivers they must take a look and yield are worthless when that door opens. Here in Illinois the law says if a driver doors a bike the driver is always at fault, period. The judge will not even listen to pleas about extenuating circumstances. This law makes zero difference. None. It does help with recovering damages, it does nothing whatsoever to prevent injuries. If it is not safe, it is not safe.

Perhaps more to the point there is a badly designed lane near me. We had a librarian who had been commuting daily for 30 years on that street with no incident. Days after the bike lane was opened she died right in front of the library. Bike advocates, politicians were still basking in the afterglow of a 'successful' project. No re-consideration. Victim blaming. No, I will not ride in that lane.

Gaucho77 takes the blame for his accident. Huge step in right direction. Most find that step very hard, most never take it. Bunches of stuff happening in that story beyond excessive speed. Gaucho saw an impending left hook. Left hook is the hardest of the common accidents to avoid, and it is one that will hurt you. To avoid a left hook you have to have sharp handling. You will not have that handling with a 30 pound load on an old skinny tube bike. In general even if that were a dedicated touring bike with skinny tubes you'd have zero chance in traffic at speed with a load that big. On a race bike forget it. Bikes are safe because they have better visibility than anything on the road and better maneuverability than anything on the road. Take away the maneuverability and an accident will happen. Presumably the speed was possible because this all happened downhill. The rear brake might do a little downhill with 30 pounds near the rear axle. In emergency braking all the load goes to the front, the rear brake does nothing. Yes, there was a skid. At speed in traffic you will never have more than a front brake. Plan accordingly. And please go another decade without an accident. Currently I've gone two decades. It is possible.

Other posters talk about breaking cranks and splat. What? I've broken half a dozen. It will happen if you ride a lot. Sure it could cause a problem. Always? Inevitably? Never for me.
Some good points.

A couple counterpoints. It's true that Gaucho77 shares some of blame because of excessive speed. However, it is the responsibility of the driver making the left hand turn to wait until there is a break in the oncoming traffic. They do not have the right of way. If they try to make a dash for it, counting on the oncoming traffic to hit their brakes, then they are breaking the law, and it's their fault if an accident is caused. Realistically, cars drive 10mph above the speed limit most of the time, rightly or not. I don't remember the last time I made a left turn in city traffic when the oncoming traffic wasn't speeding. If it's fair to let this slide for cars, then it's fair to hold bikes to the same standard.

That said, you make a good point that this was a heavily loaded commute bike. Laws are one thing but survival is another. It was an unsafe speed in that situation. Speed should have been such that there was room to stop even if the surrounding traffic did the dumbest possible thing, which they did. As you say realistically only your front brake matters at speed. I wouldn't say the rear brake is nothing, but it's maybe 10%. Not a lot.

It is in my very strong opinion that it is a good idea to assume that the oncoming traffic is going to make a left turn right in front of you at any time - without signaling. This may even happen at a random over one or more double yellow lines. I'll say it again, always assume the cars will do the dumbest possible thing.
It is imperative to be hyper aware, defensive, and aggressive when appropriate. Safest way through an intersection is by maintaining the largest possible radius between you and the cars.
Old 08-30-18, 10:54 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Originally Posted by davester
Neither of the examples above have much bearing on how safe a helmet really is since they represent extreme examples at the far end of the universe of bike accidents and neither of them involved a rider's head hitting the road surface, which is what a helmet is designed to be protective of.

What? You need to get your facts straight before posting:
  • The CPSC standard is a legal requirement for any helmet manufactured for the US market. It was adopted by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, and is mandatory for all helmets manufactured for sale in the U.S. after 1999. It was based on the ASTM and Snell standards below. It requires dropping the helmet 2 meters in the flat anvil test.
  • ASTM is the American Society for Testing and Materials, a standards setting organization. An ASTM sticker indicates an adequate helmet too. Some are certified by the Safety Equipment Institute, an independent non-profit, others only by the manufacturer. To meet ASTM a bicycle helmet also has to perform in a 2 meter drop on the flat anvil.
  • The Snell Memorial Foundation sets a somewhat higher B-95 standard with a 2.2 meter drop, but most helmets with a Snell sticker meet only their earlier B-90 standard, with a 2 meter drop comparable to ASTM. Snell tests helmets independently to certify them and retests samples bought in stores.
  • The old ANSI standard died some years back. It was too easy to meet. ANSI has replaced it by adopting the ASTM standard.
In addition to these older standards, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in collaboration with the Virginia Tech Helmet Lab recently released a helmet rating system.
Maybe the problem here is because I don't live in the USA. CPSC, ATSM are American standards so when I buy a new helmet those standards are missing from my helmet. In fact this year I bought two bicycle helmets, and both are missing any safety ratings on them unless maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? Like I pointed out in my post when I buy a Motorcycle helmet I go out of my way to get a SNELL rated helmet because I feel like it will hold up better in a severe crash and the guess work has been removed.

Last edited by cbrstar; 08-30-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 12:22 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
@Salamandrine

You are completely spot on. Well said.

Riding safe and thinking through the situation is always good. Not always enough, I think it always help.

I have no faith in my helmet. It's been on my head since 1985 and hasn't been scratched yet. I'd rather depend on what's inside my head than what's on top of it.
Old 08-30-18, 01:09 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
The universe has a bizarre sense of humor. Two weeks after my head banger, i'm riding the same route, maybe for the 10th time in as many days. I'm blowing down a hill and thinking to myself, " self, it was a one in a million fall, you used to enjoy the wind in your hair".........and just then, my front tire blows out, ripped it on something I didn't see. Anyway, you know the scene, heart goes to the mouth, sphincter grabs the saddle and you do your best to stay upright and out of traffic. It all ends good and I'm reminded why I now where a Styrofoam Cooler on my head.

Then, the next day, I find out my brother in law has been going to a Neurologist, among several things, he's told he has a "compromised" portion of his brain due to a fall when he was about 10......he fell off his bike and slammed his head into the curb!

Hello Universe....I'm listening now
Old 08-30-18, 02:26 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Velognome
The universe has a bizarre sense of humor. Two weeks after my head banger, i'm riding the same route, maybe for the 10th time in as many days. I'm blowing down a hill and thinking to myself, " self, it was a one in a million fall, you used to enjoy the wind in your hair".........and just then, my front tire blows out, ripped it on something I didn't see. Anyway, you know the scene, heart goes to the mouth, sphincter grabs the saddle and you do your best to stay upright and out of traffic. It all ends good and I'm reminded why I now where a Styrofoam Cooler on my head.

Then, the next day, I find out my brother in law has been going to a Neurologist, among several things, he's told he has a "compromised" portion of his brain due to a fall when he was about 10......he fell off his bike and slammed his head into the curb!

Hello Universe....I'm listening now
Just out of curiosity did you replace your helmet each time? Bicycle helmets are only good for one impact.
Old 08-30-18, 02:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I'd rather depend on what's inside my head than what's on top of it.
Since when is it an either/or?
Old 08-30-18, 06:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
#206 was in reply to Salamandrine. I typed in the words, they didn't show up.

@madpogue. In some sense it is not an either/or. The helmet is on my head. Because of social pressure. Because, as many have pointed out, you will have problems with insurance and police and everything if you do have an accident without a helmet. The helmet does nothing at all to prevent accidents. It is not a magic amulet. Helmets are cheaply made and barely tested. Certification standards are amazingly low. It's a beer cooler on your head. On my head too, but I do not depend on it.

Misspoke earlier. Checked old training log and have in fact been using helmet since 1983. Thirty-five years and the helmet has not touched down yet. Only injuries in that time and the last 200,000 miles were a broken collarbone and forty stitches in my leg. That time would also include perhaps 100 races and over 1000 A-group rides. Which are not done any longer because they are carnage.
Old 08-30-18, 07:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I don't mind how I look in a helmet. I'm used to wearing absurd outfits. I wore one at work today. I just can't stand the heat and loss of wind over my head. I do wear it, but I wish I didn't need to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-30-18, 07:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
You look like a suave so and so to me!
Old 08-31-18, 12:45 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
My lovely fiancé was out riding about three years ago. This was shortly after we started dating. It was a coldish day, but bright and sunny, she’s been commuting by bicycle in Chicago for over ten years at the time. Closer to fourteen now.*
She woke up in the hospital. No memory of what happened, concussed and with a broken left collar bone.*
Apparently what had happened was she hit some black ice, in the shade of a building from some precipitation from days earlier. Total fluke accident, but that helmet saved her life.*
I’m turning 40 in a couple months. Learned to ride when I was 5/6 years old, so about 1984 or so. I didn’t get my first helmet till I was maybe 15? Just wasn’t a thing you worried about.
I was never super vigilante about wearing a helmet, just not worried about it. Damn sure I wear one now. Sure I toddle 3 blocks to the market sans helmet, errand runs in the neighborhood. But I wear it every time I bike to work.
$h1t I’ve been bumper kissed twice in the*two years I’ve been bikIng in the city! Neither time was serious, didn’t even leave the bicycle.
Been in a motorcycle get off too. Operator error. I was cornering on a road that had flooded the day before. I hit sand and gravel washed onto the road by the water, Landed in a ditch facing the wrong way.*
Stuff goes down all the time, crazy stuff. People die wearing helmets every day. But they would be just as dead had they not been wearing one. You can’t make two wheeled travel safe as long as you’re sharing the space with cars. You can control your own actions, and I’m going to wear that helmet.*
I should probably wear it to the corner market too, let’s see if I can build that habit up.*
Old 08-31-18, 09:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
You look like a suave so and so to me!
+1, but I did hear he likes cats.
Old 08-31-18, 10:37 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Like most everything, US litigation really is the driving force of marketing products - can make or break a company. Too much gov. in our personal choices.

Most of the time I wear a helmet but I despise any law that forces me.

Lets take a look at other countries.....

Fun fact: Consider the vast population of Dutch cyclist. Only 0.5 percent wear a helmet. Children ride the bike lanes sans helmet. Parents with infant transport by bicycle - no helmet.
Old 08-31-18, 10:41 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Soon, all children 'under 18' will have to wear full bubble wrap around their bodies, failure to do so parents risk liability. Lol
Old 08-31-18, 11:15 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Like most everything, US litigation really is the driving force of marketing products - can make or break a company. Too much gov. in our personal choices.

Most of the time I wear a helmet but I despise any law that forces me.

Lets take a look at other countries.....

Fun fact: Consider the vast population of Dutch cyclist. Only 0.5 percent wear a helmet. Children ride the bike lanes sans helmet. Parents with infant transport by bicycle - no helmet.
The Dutch also have the lowest amount of cycling head injury's in all first class countries.
Old 08-31-18, 12:54 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Just out of curiosity did you replace your helmet each time? Bicycle helmets are only good for one impact.
The first time, I was not wearing a helmet....that's the reason for this thread.....the second event, I was wearing a helmet but contemplating not wearing a helmet, hence the bizarre sense of humor I mentioned.
Old 08-31-18, 01:05 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

The first time, I was not wearing a helmet....that's the reason for this thread.....the second event, I was wearing a helmet but contemplating not wearing a helmet, hence the bizarre sense of humor I mentioned.
Ahh sorry I misread, I thought you had gotten a helmet then proceeded to have two spills
Old 08-31-18, 03:02 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

The Dutch also have the lowest amount of cycling head injury's in all first class countries.
I would imagine there is a direct correlation between cycling related head injuries and recreational vs. transportation cycling.
Old 08-31-18, 03:27 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Finnaly checking in to see how this thread can still be active ........ I should have known.

At least I learned something new (Goodwins Law).
Old 08-31-18, 03:56 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

I would imagine there is a direct correlation between cycling related head injuries and recreational vs. transportation cycling.
That's a good point. Holland has extremely good bicycle infrastructure, and there seems to be less extreme cycling. I kinda wonder in parts of the world if mandatory helmet laws are in place because the Govt's don't want to invest in better infrastructure and public awareness?
Old 08-31-18, 07:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Yep, despite living below rising sea levels, not a real risky country.

There is a good show in either Roku, Amazon Prime, or Netflix about the fall and rise of British cycling and infrastructure.

The Dutch simply never threw over bicycling for cars, and they've consistently funded, on a per-capita basis, the cycling infrastructure.

Britain is getting theirs back, with Sustran and etc. Runs about $20 per capita, per year, on a long-term basis, but it's working.

I doubt this place here will worry about it until there is no fuel, and they'll "rediscover" bicycling, local farming, and general practitioners.

crank_addict is right, litigation drives the market, drives the legislation, drains off the productivity, innovation, and incentive.

I keep falling over, so I wear a helmet. Won't protect my arms, knees, hips, face, etc. But my head, a bit.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-31-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 11:41 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yikes I'd get my head checked to be safe. I always wear one, each to their own. It's saved my butt a few times.

Interesting place to wear a helmut, but glad it saved your butt!
Old 09-05-18, 05:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I'm getting a new helmet.

Not because of this thread, but I put mine on and looked in the mirror one too many times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.