Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Boston commuters -- send me your tips!!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 08:11 AM
sammoyer

Bikes: 2007 Trek 3700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!!

Fairly new to the forums and new to the idea of bike commuting. I always had a bike growing up (in rural Pennsylvania) and I'm now finally going to bring my bike back with me to the city. I debated buying a used on (checked out Cambridge Used Bicycles), and while the guys there were great I just didn't find a bike I loved. So I'm bringing back the bike I used when I was a teen -- it's a Trek 3700 mountain bike -- maybe 2007 or 2008? I know it's probably not the ideal commuter bike, but I figured I'd start with what I've got!

My ride is about 8.5 miles (from Brighton to Waltham) and would mostly be along the Greenway/Paul Dudley White path. Anybody else use this path for commuting? Anyone do a park and pedal situation (might need to work my way up to the full 8.5 miles)?

I think I'll likely start out just trying to do one day a week.

Further, do you think we've still got a few good weeks of commuting left, or better to hold off and start afresh in the spring?

Finally, any tips on gear or rigging up my bike? So far all I've got on it is a water bottle holder, haha.

Any tips for a new commuter would be super appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-09-18, 08:15 AM
sammoyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also would love to see pictures of your commuter bike set ups!!
Old 11-09-18, 01:33 PM
kobaneul

Bikes: Brooklyn Roebling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I started bike commuting about two years ago when they last put the T fares up. (I don't like paying to suffer.) IMO the bike is by far the best way to get around Boston metro.

Originally Posted by sammoyer
I know it's probably not the ideal commuter bike, but I figured I'd start with what I've got!
The road surfaces here have me wishing for a front suspension sometimes...

Further, do you think we've still got a few good weeks of commuting left, or better to hold off and start afresh in the spring?
I wouldn't worry too much about this; just ride as long as you're comfortable. Cycling keeps you very warm. It's actually warmer than my old subway commute, since there's not much walking and standing around. Studded tires are a good investment if you want to ride in winter, but my first year I didn't have them and I was fine; I just didn't ride if there was ice on the roads. Plenty of folks ride all year here.

Finally, any tips on gear or rigging up my bike? So far all I've got on it is a water bottle holder, haha.
The only commuter-specific item I have is my garment pannier, which is some of the best money I've spent on bike gear. If you work in a more formal office this is a great bag. Mine's by Two Wheel Gear; there are a few other companies who also make them. In the winter I use a Zojirushi vacuum bottle to carry my caffeine; the small size fits in a bottle cage and it's easy to open with one hand. I also have to park outside, so I carry a solid U-lock and a separate O-lock+cable for my wheels. A rain cape that folds up small is nice for unexpected weather. Fenders.

If you're going to ride in traffic; I highly recommend a camera. You'll probably never need it (though I've caught plenty of funny stuff). But if something untoward happens, it's good insurance. Also the basic safety stuff: bright lights, reflective gear.

Picture of my commuter below. As you can see; it's pretty basic. You really don't need much, and just one or two well-chosen items can make your commute very pleasant.
Old 11-09-18, 01:57 PM
sammoyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@kobaneul Thank you for the advice!! This is super helpful! Too true about the T fares -- I'm lucky that I don't often have to deal with the T (I currently drive to work!). And your bike is beautiful, love your set up! I've been debating between a rack/panniers or a basket, but seems like a basket could make it harder to steer -- rack seems to be the way to go!

I've been looking at locks online -- do you have any recommendations for specific brands? I'm considering biting the bullet and getting a Kryptonite, but not sure if it's worth the big price tag, since I don't ever hear much about bike theft in Boston (plus, my office building has a bike inside the parking garage, and I've never heard of anyone having problems there thankfully).

Also as a follow-up to your comment about a camera -- do you mean any sort of camera (like the one on my phone) to take pictures if needed, or is there some sort of bike-specific camera I'm naive about? Most of my commute would be on a bike path, but a small section will be on the mean streets of Waltham

Thanks again for all the advice!! Glad to know there are other kindred spirits in Boston
Old 11-09-18, 02:23 PM
kobaneul

Bikes: Brooklyn Roebling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like baskets for certain specific use cases (mostly cake), but rack + panniers is more flexible. And yeah, it's hard to carry certain things in a basket without tilting over:

Wirecutter's done a roundup of locks that goes over some of the things to consider. I use a version of the Kryptonite Evolution that they recommend. But I used to use the OnGuard Brute lock that they do not like, and my bike is still here. That said, bike theft definitely happens. I'd say at minimum a solid U-lock and make sure you're locking through the frame (my coworker had a bike stolen when he locked only his front wheel to the rack). If you have quick releases then consider adding a cable for your wheels. Inside parking makes this less of a concern, but you might need to park somewhere else for an errand, etc.

By camera I meant a GoPro or similar. I may not have the most objective view of this because I was in a situation where my video was the difference between me being declared at fault or not, but I still think it's good insurance and you also get funny things to post on Instagram. If you are almost completely on the bike path it's probably less of a concern.
Old 11-09-18, 04:22 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I’m a decades-long year-round commuter from Kenmore Square a minimum of 14 miles southwest, and I have excellent supplemental transportation with the bike via MBTA bus and train. So one unique piece of advice I have to offer is consider those modalities as adjuncts as necessary, e.g in case of breakdowns, unexpected inclement (unrideable) weather.

For example there is a commuter rail from Porter Square in Cambridge to Waltham, and as a reverse, off-peak commuter you can use that. Bus routes 70 and 558 to Waltham also look fairly accessible from Brighton. See the MBTA website, to include
MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T

Otherwise for the more practical things I can think of for your consideration (as I mentally envision my bike and routes):
  • lights, front and rear, even in daytime
  • luggage, e.g panniers for whatever you need for work
  • comfortable, visible, seasonable cycling clothing
  • rearview mirror, highly recommended
  • cycle computer, nice to have
  • helmet, goes without saying
  • studded tires (for winter)
  • tools, tubes, pump, at least to fix flats
  • parking, to include lock (I have indoor secure parking, so I don’t need a lock)
  • clean-up
For route-finding, my favorite map is the AAA Metropolitan Boston paper road map, large enough to cover much of the Metro area, but with a scale small enough to show lightly traveled roads.

Check out the Commuting Forum for lots of advice, e.g, “Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?,” and FYA, the Regional Discussion Forum thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?.”

I'm glad to provide further details on request

PS; To round out the list, for my future reference, a video camera was suggested above, though I don't use one myself, and a water bottle as noted by the OP.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-10-18 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added lights to list...D'uh
Old 11-10-18, 07:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
stay away from trucks, buses & duck boats
Old 11-11-18, 07:09 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I have ridden the Charles River path between Cambridge and Waltham, and it is a pretty ride, and a good way to get started. I end up going slower along the trail than when I take the streets, but not sure if it's because I enjoy the scenery or if the trails are that much slower.

Can't really add anything to what jimfromboston has said, experience is the best teacher, but that won't stop me from adding my $.02, which would be to add my support for lights day and night, and rearview mirror. I tried several tires, ended up with smooth tread 26 x 1.6 tires, and keep the pressure on the low side (I don't ride in the winter).

I can say that I find the Waltham drivers to be generally quite decent and have had few issues on the road even where bike lanes are absent. I wasn't comfortable on busy streets the first year so I stuck to side streets and bike paths until I was.
Old 11-14-18, 11:00 AM
sammoyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, everyone!! I appreciate all the advice and insight!
@kobaneul I ended up ordering a Kryptonite Evolution lock -- REI has them on sale right now, woohoo! Thanks for the tip. Will also consider the possiblity of a camera -- I think I'll likely start out biking only one or two days a week, but if I find that I'm biking a lot it would be a worthwhile investment!
@jim_from_Boston Many thanks for the comprehensive list and the tips on route finding, MBTA, and gear! I've added a rearview mirror and lights, and also a bell (though it probably won't be much use in car traffic). I've also checked out the other forums you linked too -- tons of good info there! Thanks!
@rumrunn6 Noted, thank you!!
@NewATBikeCommute Thanks for the Waltham-specific tips -- glad to hear that you've had good experiences riding here and on the river path!!

Thanks so much again for everyone!! I'll try to post a picture of my bike and gear soon
Old 11-14-18, 11:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sammoyer
Thank you, everyone!! I appreciate all the advice and insight!...

@jim_from_Boston Many thanks for the comprehensive list and the tips on route finding, MBTA, and gear! I've added a rearview mirror and lights, and also a bell (though it probably won't be much use in car traffic). I've also checked out the other forums you linked too -- tons of good info there! Thanks!...

Thanks so much again for everyone!! I'll try to post a picture of my bike and gear soon
And thank you, @sammoyer, for that feedback. It was an opportunity for me to make a comprehensive list of necessities for cycle -commuting, and I'll add a bell (as an option). I never had one, preferring verbal messages. Some cyclists use Airhorns (like Airzounds) to make a point. My newest commuter does have a bell, but I've not used it.

FYA, I started a thread a while ago, "Describe Your Commute," with scores of replies, including my description (link).

PS: I note my Commute Description needs updating. I now have two entirely different beater bikes, and different cycling cargo bags.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-14-18 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-15-18, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

... don't ride thru a Friday morning nor'easter featuring snow, sleet, ice & rain it's a good day to skip
Old 11-29-18, 06:20 PM
rumrunn6

Avoid fridays when possible Boston drivers on fridays esp fri nite are particularly preoccupied
Old 12-20-18, 02:15 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Do you mt bike? Some off road options are possible in Beaver Brook and beyond. Check out open streets.