Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Rutherford/East Rutherford June 29 - 30

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 06-15-19, 08:28 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts

I will be in either Rutherford or East Rutherford for work for the weekend of June 29 - 30. I expect to be wanting (needing) to take a ride after work (after 5 on Saturday, probably anytime after 3pm on Sunday).

I don't know that area at all. Are there any good riding areas? I am down to just a road bike, with wide-ish 32mm tires.

Particularly on Sunday, though I have to drive home, I could hang out for a while if anyone is interested in hooking up for a ride. I will be returning to the Boston area afterwards, so anything between there and eastern New England is a potential meeting up point.

Edit: Note: I am primarily looking for some suggestions on where to ride, but would also enjoy riding with someone who knows the area.

Last edited by NewATBikeComute; 06-16-19 at 05:36 AM. Reason: clarify request
Old 06-16-19, 04:32 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
In terms of ride ideas rather than meetups, going further into NJ there's the D&R Canal towpath, it's unpaved but I'd guess you'd be okay on 32s. Nearest part is between New Brunswick and Princeton but there's a further part northwest into PA from Trenton.

Making your way back via NY on roads you could do the Bear Mountain ride up the west side of the Hudson and back starting from the NJ side of the GWB (also through the park at water level under the bridge - no personal experience, but everyone talks about it). Avoiding that you could do the South County / North County / Putnam trail up the middle of Westchester (a little bumpy in spots though). If you pass through CT the Farmington Canal trail bisects the state north from New Haven up to Westfield MA is really nice, also the Airline Trail is an (apparently easy) gravel ride many people say great things about that I'm yet to see.

NYC itself is probably worth skipping, the Hudson River greenway can be scenic but it keeps growing new aggravations. (And they really mean those traffic lights...) . Still, you can probably get on the PATH train from jersey city or wherever (or an NJ transit heavy rail trail) with your bike on a weekend and see a bit of NYC riding up the river and back down. With a small light it's fine (and well used) after dark, too.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-16-19 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 06:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
If you are talking in the immediate vicinity of Rutherford, just forget it.
Old 06-16-19, 08:29 PM
NewATBikeComute

Originally Posted by UniChris

Making your way back via NY on roads you could do the Bear Mountain ride up the west side of the Hudson and back starting from the NJ side of the GWB (also through the park at water level under the bridge - no personal experience, but everyone talks about it)... .
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I like the sound of Bear Mountain, looks like some good hills and scenery as well. I'm going to check this out some more.

I just bought a specialized sirrus, older model 8 speed. Needs a little work (slightly stretched chain, so replacing the cassette as well), but much better than my road bike for this trip. Currently has 700x32, but I think some 38s should be no problem.

Zacster, that's just perfect.
Old 06-18-19, 03:13 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
I will be in either Rutherford or East Rutherford for work for the weekend of June 29 - 30. I expect to be wanting (needing) to take a ride after work (after 5 on Saturday, probably anytime after 3pm on Sunday).

I don't know that area at all. Are there any good riding areas? I am down to just a road bike, with wide-ish 32mm tires.

Particularly on Sunday, though I have to drive home, I could hang out for a while if anyone is interested in hooking up for a ride. I will be returning to the Boston area afterwards, so anything between there and eastern New England is a potential meeting up point.

Edit: Note: I am primarily looking for some suggestions on where to ride, but would also enjoy riding with someone who knows the area.
Not sure of your exact riding plans but I live one town away from East Rutherford and ride towards bear mountain all the time. Would be glad to show u the route even ride most of it with you . Just keep in mind if I read your post right think you wanted to start at about 3pm on Saturday bear mountain is alot of climbing and take a good 6 hrs both ways without stopping much as mentioned in another post riding in the Rutherford area is not to good need to get more North of Jersey for any good riding . Let me know if you still plan on riding that weekend weather permitting of course
Old 06-21-19, 06:14 PM
NewATBikeComute

Originally Posted by ridingfool
Not sure of your exact riding plans but I live one town away from East Rutherford and ride towards bear mountain all the time. Would be glad to show u the route even ride most of it with you . Just keep in mind if I read your post right think you wanted to start at about 3pm on Saturday bear mountain is alot of climbing and take a good 6 hrs both ways without stopping much as mentioned in another post riding in the Rutherford area is not to good need to get more North of Jersey for any good riding . Let me know if you still plan on riding that weekend weather permitting of course
Unfortunately, due to family issues, I won't be going on the trip.

Bear mountain looks really interesting, and I really appreciate the warning, and the offer. I am not in good enough shape to tackle a 6 hour ride, even if I was going to be in the area.

Perhaps another time. On the flip side, if you should happen to be in the general vicinity of Boston, or the Cape, let me know.