Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Indiana is out of bikes.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Indiana is out of bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 08:29 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Two problems I see. Prices on nice finished bikes are DOWN, DOWN, DOWN. Meanwhile the prices of projects at garage sales/thrift stores/etc, are UP, UP, UP.

So there is a serious margin squeeze. Bikes I used to sell for $300 now go for $150, and it takes a while. On the mid level stuff, the profit is GONE. Its gotten where the crankset, derailleurs and shifters are worth about 2X what I can get for the complete bike. I pulled two I had listed on C/L this year for that reason. Then I dismantled, sold some parts and donated the rest.

Meanwhile, parts still do well. I've got the same total margin in $$ this year as prior years. But in the past I was selling 50 to 60 bikes a year, and no parts. Now it's 5 or 6 bikes a year and a LOT of parts. Eventually the market will catch up and we will see parts drop too. NOS, top of the line, new in box, I don't see those dropping. But a nice, clean, used vintage used parts, I think those are starting to soften up.

I've already seen a drop on BMX. Stuff that would sell in an hour on ebay will now last 30 days, then get re-listed a few times before it sells. At a lower price. Again, I am not talking the super rare stuff.

Lately, my only purchases (other than bikes for parts) have been bikes that interested me, like a 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport and a 1970s Allegro. Meanwhile,I am aggressively reducing inventory as I do not know whether we have hit BOTTOM yet. Its kind of that "catching a falling knife" situation. Just when you think things can't go lower, they do. Its kind of odd. When the economy sucked, vintage bikes were valuable.
I agree totally about the complete bikes, but there are exceptions. Touring bikes are still hot. I think it's mainly because people have a new-found interest in hitting the road for adventure. A vintage touring bike is still bringing good money, while road bikes have completely went down the tubes.
Old 12-19-19, 08:34 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
by chance, I manage the membership database for the local recreational bike club, and there was some discussion of the aging of the membership.
For fun, I ran the numbers and came up with this age distribution....

It does seem like this problem extends to a number of other local sports clubs too.

Steve in Peoria
That distribution is about the norm. You see, older folks have more time on their hands and cycling is cheap once you've bought the bike. When you are retired, that's important. It's also a sport that keeps an older person active, without too much stress on the body.
Old 12-19-19, 08:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Go to southern IN. Picked up a super cheap, super neglected Chicago Paramount there in October. Lots of nice original Campy parts on it. I passed on a second one.
I live there, did not notice, but I never check CL for bikes. Harley parts, yes.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-19-19, 09:19 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I picked about a dozen bikes this year. Don't do much CL or Marketplace these days. A few from Garage sales, estate sales, auctions and flea markets because I frequent those anyway, a few from swap meets and a few curbside. Most recently a mostly complete mid 70's Motobecane Grand Record at an estate sale. They had a few bikes in the listing but this one was hanging in the attic of the garage, a little rough but well worth the $10 asking price. The winter bike swaps usually yield some interesting project bikes for reasonable prices.

Old 12-20-19, 08:10 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I live there, did not notice, but I never check CL for bikes. Harley parts, yes.
Both were on FB marketplace.
Old 12-20-19, 09:23 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by francophile
I used to buy bikes with specific people in mind. Then I started to buy only in my general range unless it was a smoking deal and had 2x or more resale.

But what I found is, there were a couple of bikes +/- 1 or 2 cm that actually fit me quite well. This has led to me having a couple of extra 56, and at least one extra 61.
I laughed at that frame you sold a while back; the one you had intended for a friend who never followed up. I've been in the same boat before. In fact, I have a bike laid back for my son-in-law now who has a broken foot and can't ride.
Old 12-20-19, 09:26 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

I hear a lot of people not liking CL. I get that it can be a hassle, but when you find the right one, it's all worth it. I picked up a "nary a scratch" nice 86 Schwinn Voyageur Touring bike last week for $60. It was dusty, but not greasy or rusted. I'll look every day as long as I can do that once in a while. A little time and effort, and it's be a really nice ride.

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 12-20-19 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 12-20-19, 02:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Seattle CL is at a bit of a nadir, especially if you're in the 63-65cm / 25" frame size market like I am, buying or selling. At Christmas time. I've listed a few of my very well restored and sorted bikes for months now, and since the summer never really started with a bang, very few got on the bike train. Sure, it leads to a pristine 1985 Allez SE frame, fork, Spec. HS, BB, and crankset for $100, but the outflow is even worse. A 63cm 1981 Univega Gran Premio, 25" 1985 Novara Strada, 25.5" 1982 Vista Aero Course (made by Araya), and 63cm SLX-tubed Battaglin (needs work) are all in limbo at present. The Novara and the Batty have been listed before, but have since been removed due to lack of demand or potential buyer that wanted me to drive two hours for a killer deal on his end.

I can't even find someone to give good money to for a decent used car. Too many miles and an ok-ish asking price, or lower/low miles and an astronomical asking price--no middle ground!
list them on here. perhaps the '81 would have some interest?...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-20-19, 09:57 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

mrs. sloar -

"Yes indeed, Indiana is certainly out of bikes. And I know exactly where they all are!"

-----
Old 12-20-19, 11:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
... When the economy sucked, vintage bikes were valuable.
I think the economy this year is not good. Exporting is down. Most of my big clients export.
tariffs
trade wars
meh world economy
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-21-19, 06:56 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
After I retired from the Honda shop at the end of March, my big plan for the year was to get Syke's Cyclery going again like I had it ten years ago in Montpelier. Do a couple of high end, old, restorations while spending most of my time either doing repairs/maintenance for people who lived close to me (the closest commercial bike shop in Richmond is about ten miles from my neighborhood) and refurbish every Schwinn Varsity I could find for resale to the local college students for transportation.

Never happened. Varsities are being offered around here, in sitting-in-the-garage-for-thirty-years-condition, for what I'd expect to sell the refurbished bike. Picked up a couple of repair jobs locally, although not as much as I expected. The one side that did take off is the serious restoration, mainly due to my involvement with Jamestown Settlement and our annual Military Thru the Ages event in March. There's a lot of WWI, Irish Rebellion, Spanish Civil War, and WWII reenactment out there; and I've become the go-to person for anyone looking to add a period bicycle to the unit kit. I'm stunned as to how many BSA paratroop folding bikes are out there. I'd taken on my first serious commission for the WWII British Women's Land Army group with that '35 Armstrong I was working on.

And then the fire hit.

Once the shop's rebuilt, I not really sure where I'm going in the hobby. At the moment, between third-line leftover tools and donations from members of the group, I've got enough of a shop to do weekly maintenance on what I'm riding. Once the shop's rebuilt, I really want to start working on much older bikes - that Armstrong was something that whetted my appetite, and there's another guy in the area (good friend) who's seriously working on pre-WWI bikes. Other than that, due to the market, I'm definitely not going into working on the level that I was doing the first half of this decade.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-21-19, 08:00 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
My interest lies solely in the high end bikes of yore. I flipped a fair few midrange road bikes but I am starting to look beyond them when I am on craigslist. I still have a couple that I will sell in springtime but my time is more valuable elsewhere these days.

Every year there is another production year of used brifter road bikes in the wild and they get cheaper. The midrange friction downtube shifting bikes are just not as appealing to your average buyer at the prices one wants to get to buy, refurbish and resell with a few dollars to get the next project. One can buy a 105 or similar 9 speed brifter bike for a couple hundred dollars fairly regularly. Hard to sell a 6 speed freewheel cluster bike for the same or more.

Bike flipping has never been profitable when you take into account time but most of us do it because we like to tinker and the few dollars it brings pays for more projects.
Old 12-23-19, 08:03 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
I've sold 24 bikes in the past 12 months on CL. 9 vintage touring bikes, as well as some other interesting ones. The market may have softened, but there seems to be plenty of deals if one chooses to look.
Likes For OutnBack:
Old 12-23-19, 08:21 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I sold two bikes during the last year, one a Raleigh Super Course TT project build and the other a Peugeot U08 commuter build. Both sold quickly at my requested price on CL with quite a few inquiries after the fact. Granted I could have waited it out for more money but that wasn't the point. They went to appreciative new owners at reasonable prices and I made space for a project in waiting.
Old 12-24-19, 08:59 AM
Retrogrouch731

Bikes: 73 Cinelli SC, 77 Trek TX900, 85 Masi Prestige, 85 Gios Professional, 86 Fuji Opus III, 86 Pro Miyata, 87 Koga Miyata FullPro, 89 Trek 660, 91 De Rosa Pro, 91 Cinelli SC, 91 Gary Fisher Procaliber, 91 Stumperjumper comp, 92 Serotta Colorado TG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 18 Posts
It’s been slow

It’s been slow the last month but I’ve had a good year overall, so no complaints. Bought 3 completes(91 Cinelli supercorsa, 77 Trek tx900, and 86 pro Miyata) and 2 frame sets(86 Fuji opus iii & Univega Competizione). Got a 1986 Pro Miyata in very good condition in November for only $200.
Likes For Retrogrouch731:
Old 12-24-19, 10:08 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
mrs. sloar -
"Yes indeed, Indiana is certainly out of bikes. And I know exactly where they all are!"
-----
Hahahahaha!
Wait. Don't quote my wife.
Old 12-24-19, 11:30 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 229 Posts
Southwest Ontario is definitely running low on bikes! I managed to only find two or three this year and they are low value but keep me busy. They will sell easily to the local rail trail riders who seen to want older ATBs and MTBs. My new business plan is to simply enjoy the process and try not to lose money. Of course every once in a while a keeper comes along and the pattern has to shift. Anybody want to buy a very good condition rebuilt 1972 Raleigh Sports 3sp 23" in Coffee?
Old 12-24-19, 12:52 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Welcome to Tampa 5 years ago. The market here crashed and crashed hard. It was odd in that supply dried up almost overnight. There's still a few high end classics that show up but not like they were.
Old 12-24-19, 02:47 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Welcome to Tampa 5 years ago. The market here crashed and crashed hard. It was odd in that supply dried up almost overnight. There's still a few high end classics that show up but not like they were.
I know people here in the Twin Cities occasionally find some "high" end goodies, but most of us gave up five years ago.

However, I did find two mtb's at garage sales that were outrageous deals.

A super nice ParkPre Catalyst with full XT and a Moots YBB 26'r.

Both owners were happy to get them out of their garages.

FWIW I once drove to South Bend to pick up a 1974 Colnago Super.

Almost 25 years ago and I thought I had found the deal of the century.
Old 12-26-19, 04:32 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Well Indiana is about to loose another bike! I have gotten too many in the herd. This one I picked up a year ago thinking I would get to it, and it languishes here still. There has to be a C&V'er out there that needs a project for the winter. PM me if interested. Even if it is from Elwood. It needs some TLC and a right aero lever but comes with new tires and new aero lever covers. Smiles, MH