Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In need of a bike sound doctor

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In need of a bike sound doctor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 04:15 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Worked on a 2 month old bike Saturday with a click and creak every downstroke of the pedals. After some investigation it turned out the screw that holds the der hanger to the frame was loose. Tightened it and no more noise. So many things can cause this issue so it is address one thing at a time until the noise goes away.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-25-20, 07:23 AM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tried to get a video of the freehub play I mentioned earlier. It's not a lot of movement but don't know if this is something that should be lock tight. Trying to check everything I can think of.

Old 08-25-20, 08:50 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
It's a 2020 Madone? Personally, I'd be taking it back to the shop and have them track it down.
Old 08-25-20, 09:48 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
It's a 2020 Madone? Personally, I'd be taking it back to the shop and have them track it down.
Typically that's that first thing I'd do too, but my shop is 2+ months behind on repairs right now given how crazy everything is in the bike world right now. Basically anything other than fixing a flat tire turns into a pretty big deal.

I'm sure I could be a little more aggressive with them given the size of the purchase but I thought I'd give it a shot myself, or at least isolate the issue, before putting something else on their plate.
Old 08-25-20, 10:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
Have you had that axle apart for service? Looks like it is missing a shim or not torqued down.
Old 08-25-20, 06:09 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
Typically that's that first thing I'd do too, but my shop is 2+ months behind on repairs right now given how crazy everything is in the bike world right now. Basically anything other than fixing a flat tire turns into a pretty big deal.

I'm sure I could be a little more aggressive with them given the size of the purchase but I thought I'd give it a shot myself, or at least isolate the issue, before putting something else on their plate.
I understand now. it makes sense doing at least the diagnostics and maybe find the problem yourself. Didn't realize how backed up shops must be. .
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 08-26-20, 07:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...Iv'e gone through to check if anything is loose/off and it seems like ... Just didn't think there should be problems with something only a couple months old...
Have you checked the bolt torques or not? Inner chainring bolts. Non drive side fixing bolt?

Also, have you checked the torque on the cassette lockring?

Have you swapped pedals against a known "good" pedal?

And, of course, the sound could be in the press fit BB. Or not.
Old 08-26-20, 08:31 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Have you had that axle apart for service? Looks like it is missing a shim or not torqued down.
I have not had anything done to it since a got it a couple months back. Not really familiar with shims. Is that a part the shop should have installed?

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Have you checked the bolt torques or not? Inner chainring bolts. Non drive side fixing bolt?

Also, have you checked the torque on the cassette lockring?

Have you swapped pedals against a known "good" pedal?

And, of course, the sound could be in the press fit BB. Or not.
Iv'e checked the torques on all the bolts I can on the bike (seat post, stem, etc.) but I'm a little limited by my tools. Don't have a good way of checking many of the torque specs on the drivetrain. Have only gone through to make sure there is no play and everything feels good and tight.

I have pulled the cassette off, cleaned everything, and re-installed (tightening the lock ring about as tight as I could get it). Also been though checking the pedals, cleats, seat post, saddle, thru axles, brakes, handlebar/stem play.
Old 09-25-20, 08:33 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
UPDATE: After a marathon of a process, my LBS determined it was an issue with the BB.

Wanted to give a shout out to Trek for their customer service - they have been great through this. Frame is being completely replaced under warranty and will have the updated T47 BB. Should be creak free from here on out!
Old 09-25-20, 09:58 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I was going to say after two pages nobody mentioned checking your axles or QR? That's the first thing to check and the source of many "ticks". Take them out, clean them and the dropouts, apply a little grease and reinstall.

Surprised that the LBS traced it to the BB given this was/is a new bike.
Old 09-25-20, 10:10 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I should also add that it's basically a brand new bike (2020 Trek Madone).
"Hello? Shop where I dropped several grand on a slick new racing bike? I've got this sound I need you to sort out."

[EDIT: HA! You did that two posts ago. Well done, and good on your bike shop for keeping it painless. Man we're gonna miss these places when it's all online.]
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-26-20, 07:30 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
UPDATE: After a marathon of a process, my LBS determined it was an issue with the BB.

Wanted to give a shout out to Trek for their customer service - they have been great through this. Frame is being completely replaced under warranty and will have the updated T47 BB. Should be creak free from here on out!
From your lips ....
Old 09-27-20, 05:20 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
From your lips ....
??
Old 09-27-20, 05:25 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
??
from your lips to god’s ears, meaning let’s hope the new frame solves the problem and you are squeak free
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-27-20, 05:30 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
from your lips to god’s ears, meaning let’s hope the new frame solves the problem and you are squeak free
Ahh, got ya. Thanks, that one got past me.

Praying that's the case. Pretty sure it's spent more time at the shop than actually riding it