Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

M1000 possible frame cracks

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-09-20, 10:01 AM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

A friend just picked up a Cannondale M1000. It has a 1" steerer so it's older than my 1993 M1000 with the larger steerer. When I bought mine in '93' the shop honestly mentioned the issue of frame cracking. The friend asked me to check his bike. Is there a typical area I should look at for possible cracks?
Old 09-12-20, 01:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
It's just the "Crack-and-Fail" fear mongers peddling their 'concern.' They're referring to the cantilevered chain stays--that extended portion past the seat stays where the rear wheel mounts. You can take the rear wheel off and get a good look at that beefy weld/chain stay section to see if anything shows. Dollars to donuts it'll be fine, just like all the other ones that have been ridden within reasonable limits.
Old 09-12-20, 03:31 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Dollars to donuts
My dad used to say that all the time. Took me many years to figure out what it meant. Thanks for a Memory Lane moment.
Old 09-12-20, 05:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
It's just the "Crack-and-Fail" fear mongers peddling their 'concern.' They're referring to the cantilevered chain stays--that extended portion past the seat stays where the rear wheel mounts. You can take the rear wheel off and get a good look at that beefy weld/chain stay section to see if anything shows. Dollars to donuts it'll be fine, just like all the other ones that have been ridden within reasonable limits.
Someone recently mentioned the "Crack-and-Fail" term in another thread and said that his mechanic friend claimed that Cannondales earned that name by cracking at the head tube welds. I sold Cannondale bikes starting from their first year on the market and for another 10-plus years, and I don't recall ever seeing any that cracked. (I ran my '87 Cannondale mountain bike into a tree at speed once, and the only damage to the bike was the bent steel fork.)

The same people who thought "Crack-and-Fail" was clever also joked about "Cramp-and-Go-Slow" components. I wouldn't take pun-based bike assessments too seriously.
Old 09-12-20, 07:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Someone recently mentioned the "Crack-and-Fail" term in another thread and said that his mechanic friend claimed that Cannondales earned that name by cracking at the head tube welds. I sold Cannondale bikes starting from their first year on the market and for another 10-plus years, and I don't recall ever seeing any that cracked. (I ran my '87 Cannondale mountain bike into a tree at speed once, and the only damage to the bike was the bent steel fork.)

The same people who thought "Crack-and-Fail" was clever also joked about "Cramp-and-Go-Slow" components. I wouldn't take pun-based bike assessments too seriously.
Thank you for corroborating (with actual experience) my statement. It's hard to tell who's trying to be clever on BF at times as we have those who hold to the belief that if it isn't steel it's junk, even if everything beyond the frame is aluminum. The myth that these frames fail at a concerning rate was stated by the OP's mechanic, so I'm simply here to reassure with some truth.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: