Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My New Noodles are Dragging

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 12:12 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Picked up an '08' Fuji Absolute for a short friend. It's a 15" frame size. Clean original except for the cables. It has Jagwire cables. The brakes levers take way to much effort. The caliper centering springs are adjusted overly tight to ensure they return to center. Pulled the brake cable system apart. Found there's a whole lot of drag in the noodles. Bought a 4 set package of new generic noodles off Amazon. They drag also. Tried a new inner brake cable wire thru the new noodles and it drags. I thot brake cables are a standard diameter. Do noodles have different I.D. measurements?
Old 02-04-21, 12:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...at a minimum, I would need a few decent photos to hazard a guess at the issue. Even then, I'm uncertain.
You can measure the diameter of your cables with a caliper, and the openings of the noodles similarly.

Sometimes used bikes can get modified with different parts in unnatural ways, so don't assume brake noodles were on there originally.
Fuji used that name for a long time, before the current owners of the brand name re-envisioned it. So I honestly don't have a clue about what you are working on.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-04-21, 01:56 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Im working with new noodles. Checked their internal fit with a new brake wire and the inner Jagwire wires that came on the bike. Both brake wires drag noticeably using new noodles. I did compare both inner wires with my micrometer. They are within a thousanth or two. I don't know why.
Old 02-04-21, 02:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Do the new noodles have a plastic liner tube? Andy
Old 02-04-21, 02:17 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
They are new. New noodles come with a liner ??? It's obvious to me the lining sleeves are too tight on my brake wires. I'm looking for some guidance as to why.
Old 02-04-21, 02:46 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Noodles and brake cable are pretty standard. I've never seen a case where a noodle or its liner was not large enough for a standard brake cable. Yes, the noodles should have a liner in them. You can pull the cable stop out of the top of the noodle (or "push" the liner out through the top with the brake cable inserted into the exit end). With the liner out, does the cable slide smoothly through it? It should.
Old 02-04-21, 02:57 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
.... With the liner out, does the cable slide smoothly through it? It should.
.... for a given value of ”smoothly”...
It should move easily. But IMO you often get a ”notchy” feeling when pulling the brake lever. The cable does move smoother when its running through the noodle.
Not to mention that it’s entirely possible to saw your way through the noodle in a surprisingly short time if you don’t use the noodle liner.
Old 02-04-21, 03:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You sure it's the noodles and not the housing?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-04-21, 08:32 PM
kingjason

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you waller out the holes at each end? I will be the first to admit I never knew this until recently, but in my defense, I cut them with a Dremel so never had an issue. Still, it makes it better.
Old 02-05-21, 03:31 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Noodles come in various variations of bending arcs, maybe you have the wrong ones? Maybe too much arc. Maybe a combination of the routing of the housing and the arc of the noodle. Really tough to guess without pics. IMO checking the diameter of the inner wire would be the last thing I would suspect.

Old 02-05-21, 01:35 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I'm pretty sure I tossed the liners on my two MTB commuters with V-brakes (built them up years ago). I seem to remember one being pushed out as I fed the brake cable so I just yanked it. Put a couple drops of Tri-Flow in them, everything works fine.
Old 02-07-21, 12:15 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's not the housing. It's the 90 degree bend. I pulled the liner out and there is no friction between it and the wire when it's straight. I'm comparing this setup to my late 90's XT V brakes on my Cannondale M1000. Those are delightfully light and smooth. I'll pull the M1000 out of storage and compare this week.
Old 02-24-21, 10:57 AM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Update: I found the Amazon noodle I was using had a defect. There is a small burr inside the aluminum housing. It's small but bumps into the nylon liner. I switched housings and used Shimano premium grease on the cable and it works OK.
Likes For merlinrkd: