Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tires recommendation (max. 700x38c)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 02:08 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey,
I'm looking for gravel tyres for my two wheelsets setup (one for road, and one for gravel). Will use 700x28c on road and now looking for something for mixed.
My bike is CX frame and fit max. 38 mm real width tires with very small knobs like Gravelkings Slick 700x38c. Using 650b is not possible. Tubeless is not important, will use them with tubes only.

Will use these tires with DT470 rims (20 mm internal width). What can you recommend?
I tested some tires and have some likes / dislikes:

- Gravelkings SS - already used 700x35c, they are fast, nice... 38c should fit because 35c actual width was about 34 mm.
- Gravelkings AC - already used 700x35c - also fast, very, very good grip in each conditions, more comfortable (beacue of soft rubber?) but a it narrower, because actual width was about 33 mm
- Gravelkings SK - already used 700x35c - something between two aboves, real width was about 34 mm, one disadvantage: they throws small rock at the frame

Dislikes:
- Continental Terra Speed - already used 700x35c, they was about 33 mm, lack of grip in light sand or mud (I know, it isn't trial version)
- WTB Riddlers - already used -700x37c - pretty good, but only pretty and feels sluggish... do not like them

I consider Gravelkings SS 700x38c because will fit, should be fine... but maybe something with a little more grip will be better?
Also consider Maxxis Ramblers 700x38c or even 700x40c because many people and reviews say, that they are undersize and acctual width of 40c version is about 38 mm.
Old 02-13-21, 06:25 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I’ve been happy with Maxxis Ramblers, they seem to be a good compromise between rolling well on pavement and gripping on gravel. I’ve used the 700x40 in the past, currently using the 45s, but will likely go back to 40 on the next set. Puncture protection has been good running them tubeless with orange seal.

If you’re running tubes, there are the specialized trigger sports 700x38. I haven’t ridden them myself so I can’t comment on ride quality, but they came stock on a friend’s Diverge and they seem to wear well. They retail for $30 a tire, I think the tubeless “pro” version retails for $50. My guess is the “sport” are less supple than a lot of tubeless gravel tires.

Around here, the gravelking SKs are known for flinging pebbles at anyone riding behind, and are lovingly referred to as “gravelflings” or “gravelslings”. Still, they are a popular tire here that many seem to like.
Old 02-13-21, 07:50 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Around here, the gravelking SKs are known for flinging pebbles at anyone riding behind, and are lovingly referred to as “gravelflings” or “gravelslings”. Still, they are a popular tire here that many seem to like.
Lol, this is soooooo true.

I love the Gravelking slicks and SKs which you've already used. They are my two go-to tires

I used Donnelly MSOs of various sizes for years. They are very durable, have good grip and are easy to setup tubeless but are slightly clunky and stiff rolling compared to the SKs.

A lot of friends swear by the Specialized Pathfinder Pro. It looks a lot like the GK SS to me.

I sometimes use Rene Herse tires on dry days in the summer. Unbelievably good ride and very, very fast. Downsides: don't really work tubeless and fragile.

I'm not a fan of WTB tires, I've tried a couple I can't remember. I'll bet Maxxis gravel tires are good if their (awesome) MTB tires are anything to go by.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-13-21, 04:06 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Lol, this is soooooo true.

I love the Gravelking slicks and SKs which you've already used. They are my two go-to tires

I used Donnelly MSOs of various sizes for years. They are very durable, have good grip and are easy to setup tubeless but are slightly clunky and stiff rolling compared to the SKs.

A lot of friends swear by the Specialized Pathfinder Pro. It looks a lot like the GK SS to me.

I sometimes use Rene Herse tires on dry days in the summer. Unbelievably good ride and very, very fast. Downsides: don't really work tubeless and fragile.

I'm not a fan of WTB tires, I've tried a couple I can't remember. I'll bet Maxxis gravel tires are good if their (awesome) MTB tires are anything to go by.
Maxxis tires are pretty nice. Been running tubeless 40mm Ramblers on my Warbird. They are pretty comfortable, and so far have held up to 800 miles of gravel, pavement, singletrack, dirt, and some sand and Georgia mud. Only complaint is the tpi is low. I haven't tried other gravel tires yet, but suspect others are more supple.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 02-17-21, 10:00 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I liked the Ramblers a lot, they grip well, ride well, and roll surprisingly well for a knobby-ish tire. With that said, I just couldn't get them to hold up, I kept getting slices in the tread, this is with the Exo casing. I should try the Silkshield casing next on these.

I'm currently running Specialized Tracers, they're pretty great tires. Smooth rolling, basically a file tread with some shoulder blocks. Not as grippy as the Ramblers but faster and smoother I think.

I've also had Specialized Pathfinders, I wasn't crazy about them. The center strip is elevated from the side knobs, so you really feel it when you drop off of it, it makes for spooky handling. Different width rims might make a difference though, maybe making the drop less severe. The casing was great on these though, very durable.
Old 02-17-21, 10:04 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The Terra Speed 40c are actually 38c, even on a wide rim.

The GK SK have zero traction on anything slippery. They have less mud traction than the Terra Speed. Maybe look at the Challenge gravel tires.
Old 02-23-21, 01:11 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
I just got some new tires in 42mm (replacing the 32's I had for some more comfort and off-road ability). I'm seeing a lot of the 700c 35-43mm tubes are Schrader valves? any drawl backs to going with Schrader? I personally find their PSI retention to be superior to presta valves I've used (but I guess the pressure in a 42mm could be lower anyway).

Pros/cons to Schrader?

(sorry to piggyback on the thread, but didn't think this necessitated a new one).

Also, I picked up Specialized Trigger Sport 700c x 42mm
Old 02-23-21, 02:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by dpicare26
I just got some new tires in 42mm (replacing the 32's I had for some more comfort and off-road ability). I'm seeing a lot of the 700c 35-43mm tubes are Schrader valves? any drawl backs to going with Schrader? I personally find their PSI retention to be superior to presta valves I've used (but I guess the pressure in a 42mm could be lower anyway).

Pros/cons to Schrader?

(sorry to piggyback on the thread, but didn't think this necessitated a new one).

Also, I picked up Specialized Trigger Sport 700c x 42mm
I cant imagine drilling my rims out for schrader valves just to not pump tires up quite as frequently.
The thicker the tube, the less air it loses- are you comparing thick heavy schrader tubes to light thin presta tubes? If so- yeah the presta wont hold air for as long.

It takes 20 seconds to top off air before a ride.
Old 02-23-21, 06:29 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I cant imagine drilling my rims out for schrader valves just to not pump tires up quite as frequently.
The thicker the tube, the less air it loses- are you comparing thick heavy schrader tubes to light thin presta tubes? If so- yeah the presta wont hold air for as long.

It takes 20 seconds to top off air before a ride.
I suppose that answers my question: a weight sacrifice. Also hadn't considered the diff. orifice diameters for each valve.
Old 02-23-21, 07:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Vittoria Terreno Dry have served me well on dry hard pack gravel and the paved sections. 700x38.
Old 02-23-21, 07:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by dpicare26
any drawl backs to going with Schrader?
They're heavier, they take up more space in a repair kit, they're clunkier to attach quick-release pump chucks to, and it takes more effort to let air out (a definite drawback for gravel).

I personally find their PSI retention to be superior to presta valves I've used (but I guess the pressure in a 42mm could be lower anyway).

Air bleeds through butyl rubber more slowly as pressure is reduced, and larger tires contain more volume of air relative to their surface area. So wide low-pressure bicycle tires tend to lose their stiffness much slower than skinny high-pressure tires.

Other factors in the construction of a tube - like the rubber compound and thickness - can also be significant. For instance, latex rubber is much more air-permeable than butyl rubber, and latex tubes lose air quite quickly; even people who don't re-set their pressure before every ride on butyl generally do so with latex.
Old 02-23-21, 08:15 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I am a big Rene Herse fan so the two recommendations are the 38 mm Barlow Pass for anything but mud. If you want small knobs they have the Steilacoom also in 38.

Yesterday I picked up the Bon Jon Pass Endurance which is 35 mm but I won't be able to test them until the spring comes.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 02-23-21, 08:17 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd
Also consider Maxxis Ramblers 700x38c or even 700x40c because many people and reviews say, that they are undersize and acctual width of 40c version is about 38 mm.
I'd be a little cautious about assuming a tire marked as 40mm will fit like a 38mm even though it measures 38mm across.

My Gravelking SKs are marked 38mm but are 40mm wide. So I put on Maxxis Velocita tires marked as 40mm. Turns out the Maxxis are maybe 2mm taller (guessing)? They fit but the clearance to where my fender attaches to the frame is much tighter then with the GKs.
Old 03-07-21, 06:28 PM
mbpletcher

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Schwalbe g one speed 700x28 tubeless

schwalbe g one all around 700x35 or 38 tubeless
Old 03-07-21, 07:34 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The high quality tires we recommend most in our shop in this size are Rene Herse, Schwalbe G-One, Vittoria Teereno Zero or Dry, Challenge Strada Bianca. The Gravel King Slicks are not very grippy on dry pavement and we have had several customer complaints so we just sell the regular gravel kings now.
Old 03-08-21, 12:44 AM
Cyclist0114

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe G-Ones are sluggish and not grippy.
I decided to buy Gravelkings SS and they are amazing.
Old 03-12-21, 02:45 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Kinda wierd to hear people's opinions on tires that are basically the same.
Really, there isn't much difference between the Ramblers, the G-One (original) or the Terra speed. I'll say the ramblers (120tpi version) get cut up pretty easily, but nothing that sealant couldn't deal with. And the Terra speed, although excellent, wears very fast.

I'm confused to why you say the terraspeed as no grip, and then are interested in the Gravelking SS?
The ramblers are available in 38 and 40mm (and 45, and 50). I'd say they measure pretty true to size on a 22mm rim, but if your ID is less than 19mm they'll be a little smaller (my 38's measure closer to 36 on a skinny rim).
Old 03-14-21, 06:07 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Check out the Kenda Alluvium Pro in 35mm. I bought a pair only because all my other favored tires are on permanent backorder, and I needed something for mixed-surface rides.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well they worked. On pavement, I think they are nearly as fast as my 32mm GravelKing Plus slicks. On gravel, they are nearly as good as my go-to 40 mm tire, the Donnelly X-Plor MSO. And, according to the reviews I've seen, they seem to have a very long life.
Old 03-16-21, 07:22 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
Check out the Kenda Alluvium Pro in 35mm.
If anyone else is interested in the Kenda if you get them from their site use code SPRINGCLEANING to get 35% off until April 4th. Or so says the mass market email I just got from them..
Old 03-25-21, 01:47 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
+1 on GravelKing SKs - they are a major PITA to install tubeless (but it seems like you don't care about that) but they have ridiculous grip even in the 700x35 size. My friend has them on his S-Works Crux that he uses as a gravel bike and he can climb loose/steep stuff without any issue.