Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'93' Cadex ALM1 Fork Recall

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 09:18 AM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Ancient stuff here! I've had the Giant Cadex MTB sitting for years. SunTour drivetrain. It came with the so-called butterfly shifters that never worked right. Recently got a set of Sun Tour rapid fire style shifters and installed them. Better. Did a Google on that bike and up pops a CPSC fork recall. The crown has a nasty habit of separating from the legs. Injuries, broken bones reported. Ouch ! Contacted Giant. Not much help there. I'd like to replace the fork. It's my understanding the fork is elastomer dampened and appears to be short stroke.The bike would be used for city with a rare smooth gravel jaunt. No plans for single track gonzo stuff. My question is: are there still forks made that are that design? 1 1/8" headless steerer.
Old 12-10-20, 09:22 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
please share some photos so we have a frame of reference. there are almost certainly forks available that will fit the bike, but they are most often heavy and poorly damped.

you might also find a rigid fork that will work well. the suspension on older bikes like that was often almost useless, so a rigid fork would probably do the job. put a fatter tire on it if you want a softer ride.
Old 12-10-20, 09:27 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
this fork should work, but make sure you can bolt a cable stop to the crown Bikeman Carver Bikes Steel Rigid Mountain Fork, 1-1/8'' 410mm

this bike?

this style of bike with carbon fiber tubes "glued" to aluminum lugs also have a bad reputation for coming apart. inspect it carefully.
Old 12-10-20, 09:33 AM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That's the bike. Nice job! Deore thumb shifters? Is that frame carbon fiber tubes??? If it is I had no idea.
Old 12-10-20, 02:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Call SRAM.

This might help give you some guidance...

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...rk-recall.html

John
Old 12-18-20, 03:29 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Apparently I replied on the Rockshock post and it went a little sideways. As mentioned the Giant dealer couldn't find info on this recall because it was old. So it looked likeI was on my own. That triggered my post with this question about sourcing a vintage fork. I was just surprised by the dealer getting back to me last week. Apparently corporate found the recall info and has come back with a proposal to replace the fork or supply a new hardtail ! I'm hoping to keep the CADEX. It's one a of a pair I have. The other CADEX is several years newer and came with a Marzoochi fork that leaked with very modest mileage. I replaced it years ago. I like them because they have short top tubes.

The CADEX under recall discussion has a Zorbers fork. It's described as the legs separating from the crown causing injuries.

I'm still looking for vintage style fork that has a short stroke, cable stop on the crown brace and pivot posts for cantilever brakes. Oh-1 1/8" unthreaded steerer.
Old 02-24-21, 11:03 AM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Update on the Giant Zorbers fork recall. Giant suppled a new Talon bike to satisfy the warranty! I turned in the CADEX to the dealer. Hats off to Folsom Bike for a smooth process. They are great!
Likes For merlinrkd:
Old 02-24-21, 11:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
Update on the Giant Zorbers fork recall. Giant suppled a new Talon bike to satisfy the warranty! I turned in the CADEX to the dealer. Hats off to Folsom Bike for a smooth process. They are great!
Just to understand this. Giant gave you a new 2021 Talon for your 1993 Cadex.

John
Old 02-24-21, 12:56 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yup, quite a surprise for me. I got to pick size and color !!! The hydraulic disc brakes are quite the treat.

We went around a bit because I was hoping to preserve the CADEX with a replacement fork. It was just not feasible to replace the Zorbers fork. A new fork sits considerably higher and messes with geometry. Brakes would have to go from cantilever to V. Which changes brake levers too.

The CADEX wasn't a cheap bike back in 93.
Old 05-17-21, 08:47 AM
tonylong9000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, quite a surprise for me. I got to pick size and color !!! The hydraulic disc brakes are quite the treat.

We went around a bit because I was hoping to preserve the CADEX with a replacement fork. It was just not feasible to replace the Zorbers fork. A new fork sits considerably higher and messes with geometry. Brakes would have to go from cantilever to V. Which changes brake levers too.

The CADEX wasn't a cheap bike back in 93.
Hey there, I have a 93 Cadex. What was the process to claim the recall?
Old 05-17-21, 09:26 AM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's specific to the Zorber fork, not the rest of the bike. Just that fork is deemed unsafe. As the post said that fork design is soo dated there isn't a new fork out there to match the frame. The recall says to contact a Giant dealer. That info should be in my posts.
Old 05-17-21, 04:11 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle

this style of bike with carbon fiber tubes "glued" to aluminum lugs also have a bad reputation for coming apart. inspect it carefully.
Former Giant rep here, from about the same era as that bike. The ALM is the aluminum frame mountain bike; the CFM is the carbon fiber tube frame, as below.
Old 05-18-21, 10:49 AM
tonylong9000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's specific to the Zorber fork, not the rest of the bike. Just that fork is deemed unsafe. As the post said that fork design is soo dated there isn't a new fork out there to match the frame. The recall says to contact a Giant dealer. That info should be in my posts.
I'm pretty sure thats the configuration I have.
Did you need to provide proof of purchase or anything like that? How long did the whole process take?
Old 05-18-21, 11:19 AM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Contact a Giant dealer