Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Old 03-02-21, 09:19 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Thank you both, its a nice bike and I'm digging it so far.

I guess I'm not used to a touring based framed, as I find the rear a bit harsh, even compared to my Tange 2 road bike with 28mm tires. Riding seated transmitted more bumps than I ever remember. The weight is 23lbs 15oz with pedals so its acceptable so its not too piggish.

Perhaps "pig" was a bit harsh.

Trek 750 gravel conversion
That's a really sharp looking bike. How well do the mini v-brakes work with STI levers?
Likes For zen_:
Old 03-03-21, 06:17 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
That's a really sharp looking bike. How well do the mini v-brakes work with STI levers?
So, Sora R3000 levers with TRP 8.4 mini V's. I was expecting a lot more bite to be honest after hearing all the "on/off" stories. I don't feel that to be the case at all; these don't have the same bite as proper long Vs, the pad to rim distance is very tight, and the fender clearance on the 38s is a bit tight - all well documented. Braking is much better than with calipers on the hoods but not what I was expecting. Overall, they're adequate if the drawbacks are tolerable. Quality control was a bit lacking as one pad holder's allen head was not broached properly. I also think they are overpriced for what they are but oh well. My background is with MTBs so have been on cantis in the 90s, switched to V's in 95 and then discs in 99. I haven't taken this thing off road yet
Old 03-03-21, 11:30 AM
mikehuangsd

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
So, Sora R3000 levers with TRP 8.4 mini V's. I was expecting a lot more bite to be honest after hearing all the "on/off" stories. I don't feel that to be the case at all; these don't have the same bite as proper long Vs, the pad to rim distance is very tight, and the fender clearance on the 38s is a bit tight - all well documented. Braking is much better than with calipers on the hoods but not what I was expecting. Overall, they're adequate if the drawbacks are tolerable. Quality control was a bit lacking as one pad holder's allen head was not broached properly. I also think they are overpriced for what they are but oh well. My background is with MTBs so have been on cantis in the 90s, switched to V's in 95 and then discs in 99. I haven't taken this thing off road yet
I gone and done this conversion twice - I'm pretty pleased with how mini v-brakes match up with road levers.

On one bike I have Sensah shifters/brakes pulling 80mm mini v-brakes, and on the other I have Claris shifters/brakes pulling 84mm mini v-brakes - both feel alright to me. If you can set the pads close to the rim (like 1.5 mm away), the pull and bite feel should be pretty great. If it's not, maybe you have to lose the fenders to set the pads a tiny bit closer?
Old 03-03-21, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
My spouse has an All-City Macho Man. It has 700c wheels and mini-V brakes (made by Paul) and Shimano 105 levers. I haven't ridden her bike extensively but my impression is excellent. She is happy with the brakes, and she has very weak hands. She thinks the brakes on my bike "don't work" because she can't work them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-03-21, 04:07 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

After another day of commuting, it seems like the pads took a bit to wear in. It doesn't help that I've been wearing 2 layers of gloves this whole time. Braking is good.
Old 03-03-21, 09:59 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Nice morning ride around Independence, TX
Likes For green123:
Old 03-04-21, 12:57 PM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by green123

Nice morning ride around Independence, TX
That looks amazing. Can you show us a better pic of the 'cockpit' ? For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on there, and google searches haven't come up with anything! :-) Nice bike!
Old 03-04-21, 02:57 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
You're looking for the Canyon Hoverbar

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/s...new-hover-bar/
Likes For oris:
Old 03-04-21, 05:12 PM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks!
See the post above, it shows the biplane handlebars. It's pretty comfortable and I got used to it quickly.
Old 03-04-21, 06:39 PM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Found a new 2017 Bombtrack Hook 2 steel frame and built it up with some new wheels and my older 6700 triple groupset + mech discs. One ride down done, and I am enjoying the wider rubber compared to my road bikes. Nice and comfortable. Not the lightest bike though @11kg.

Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 03-04-21, 08:01 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by esarhaddon
Found a new 2017 Bombtrack Hook 2 steel frame and built it up with some new wheels and my older 6700 triple groupset + mech discs. One ride down done, and I am enjoying the wider rubber compared to my road bikes. Nice and comfortable. Not the lightest bike though @11kg.

That blue is real nice. My steel gravel bike weighs about the same but should be around 1.5lbs lighter with new wheels
Likes For franswa:
Old 03-04-21, 08:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The old:

The new (mostly set up):

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-04-21, 10:17 PM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
That blue is real nice. My steel gravel bike weighs about the same but should be around 1.5lbs lighter with new wheels
The blue was probably more than half of the reason I purchased the frame when I saw it. Measuring the weights before I built the bike up, the bare frame was 2.35 kg(!), the fork is 0.53 kg and the wheels themselves are 2.01 kg, so it all adds up pretty quickly!
Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 03-05-21, 08:23 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Trek 750 gravel conversion
That bike looks awesome, my wife has a 750 that she never rides with the same paint job. I want to soup it up for her with nice components...but it would just sit in the basement with nice components instead of the medicore stuff on there right now.

Anyways, what Stem is that? That's a 1-1/8" fork, right?
Old 03-05-21, 12:05 PM
covpride

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Picked this up yesterday, really happy with it, tires on order and then going tubeless.

Likes For covpride:
Old 03-05-21, 12:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by covpride
Picked this up yesterday, really happy with it, tires on order and then going tubeless.

Wow! That color combo is sick! Congrats!
Old 03-05-21, 12:27 PM
covpride

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks, love it for sure!
Old 03-05-21, 04:07 PM
DorkDisk

Originally Posted by Phatman
That bike looks awesome, my wife has a 750 that she never rides with the same paint job. I want to soup it up for her with nice components...but it would just sit in the basement with nice components instead of the medicore stuff on there right now.

Anyways, what Stem is that? That's a 1-1/8" fork, right?
Thanks, its a Nitto UI-12. this rig has a 1" headset.

Wives deserve nice bikes, that's the way I see it. Even if they don't ride them much.
Old 03-08-21, 02:23 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_

This Vortex CX bike was one of several I have built with STI shifters and mini-V brakes.

It is CRITICAL to install some kind of inline barrel adjustment.

They work fine. I found that quality pads and JagWire Road Pro cables and housing made a real difference.

I did many 1000s of commuting KMs on an old hybrid drop bar conversion, mini V brakes and sti levers (10-speed Tiagra), no problems. They work well assuming you are happy with tyre and mudguard clearance. You can’t run a balloon tyre, the clearance isn’t there.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-08-21, 02:40 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

This was the commuter.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-08-21, 10:23 AM
mikehuangsd

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman

... with STI shifters and mini-V brakes.
It is CRITICAL to install some kind of inline barrel adjustment.
meh not really -- I just use trial and error.

I set the pads wherever looks good, then try the lever. If the pull feel isn't right, mark the cable/pinch bolt location with a Sharpie, move it a mm or two, and try the lever again. It only takes a few minutes/ tries before the clearance/lever pull is just right.
Old 03-08-21, 11:05 AM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
meh not really -- I just use trial and error.

I set the pads wherever looks good, then try the lever. If the pull feel isn't right, mark the cable/pinch bolt location with a Sharpie, move it a mm or two, and try the lever again. It only takes a few minutes/ tries before the clearance/lever pull is just right.
I‘m sure there’s a decent reason for making things more difficult than they need to be, but I can’t think of one just at the moment.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-08-21, 08:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
I‘m sure there’s a decent reason for making things more difficult than they need to be, but I can’t think of one just at the moment.
Some of us have so much experience doing things the old ways that we don't find them inconvenient. I've probably adjusted a thousand Weinmann center-pull calipers. A 1mm difference in adjustment at the cable is an appreciable change. I got used to the very iterative trial and error of loosening the pinch bolt, moving the cable 1mm, tightening. Sometimes to do it, I had to remove a brake shoe every iteration. It's not something I recommend to others, but I can do it just fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-09-21, 05:42 AM
Barchettaman

For V-brakes I found these ‘pipe adjusters’ easily the best, much better than the ones that go inline in the housing. They were only £2 I think.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-10-21, 02:02 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 3
Added a PRO Discover bar & stem, and a Power2Max NG Eco crankset/power meter. Would like to switch to Di2, but that's impossible at the moment. Maybe when the supply chains aren't so ridiculous. Also going to switch out these heavy Giant PR-2 wheels.
Likes For CeeDotA:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.