Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Some advice: Broken TT cable guide

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 03:19 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts

Life is still hammering me, haven't had time for anything, sorry friends.

I could really use some drive-by advice though, if anyone is willing.

Picked up an immaculate '86 Corsa Mondiale via eBay, another Lawee bike joins the stable. Sadly, it arrived with shipping damage - a split cable guide, one is smushed, and the computer mount was FUBAR. Seller was cool about it, refunded 15% to cover repairs. All-stock except for the 105 shift levers, stem and bars.

Anyone have advice on repair of this guide? Paint is flawless, so I'd love something low-invasive like soldering, then a touch-up (or similar). Torching this bike would be nuts; I got a quote of $60 to replace guide and primer going that route, though.

Last edited by francophile; 01-22-22 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 03:29 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Oh, and here are some more images in all its Electric Rose glory: Imgur: 1986 Bertoni Corsa Mondiale

Even got the original owner's service manual.
Old 03-01-17, 03:33 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
My first attempt would be to clean it well, apply a drop of automotive panel bonding adhesive to one side of the break, and tap it back together with a small hammer using a bit of wood or dense rubber to protect the guide from the hammer blows.
Brent
Old 03-01-17, 04:42 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I think epoxy and tapping it back in place would work. There's really no force being applied to it. I epoxied a toptube guide on once with no issues.
Old 03-01-17, 05:04 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
As above, but I'd use JB Weld.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 03-01-17, 05:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I agree on the epoxy or JB and tap back down. Maybe look for nail polish to match after it drys. No loads or stresses on that.
Old 03-01-17, 07:19 PM
Centaurious

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak , KHS Sierra Something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tap it back in place as said and if you need to secure it use thick super glue and not much.
Old 03-01-17, 07:22 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
The smushed one is going to take real finesse. I had that problem beforehand. I still the cable guide completely flattened ? Can you get a fine bladed small screw driver under to gently pry it up? From there you can use the smooth ends of drill bits to slowly bring it up and keep it round. Takes time and some paint at the end.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-17, 08:46 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, that's really a bummer. There is no really good easy fix. A proper fix will involve repainting, and of course you don't want to do that.

So, treat the brazing and repainting option as the most extreme option, one that remains an option no matter what you do.

Before you go that route, you can carefully file of the damaged guide and replace it with a clamp or a glued-on guide.

Before you do that, try to fix them as well as possible. For the smashed one, I'd insert a gently tapered steel tool, like an awl maybe; tap it in until the hole is round, then tap it back out again.
The broken one, insert the same tool and tap the bent metal down until the crack closes up. I don't think any glue, epoxy, JBWeld or anything is going to do any good, likely just make a mess that's hard to clean up.
Old 03-01-17, 10:15 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Isn't JB Weld mostly epoxy with aluminum powder mixed into it??
Old 03-06-17, 01:02 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Just coming back up for air again. I've got the more smushed one taken care of - used nail set method I outlined over here. Still need to deal with the other one, just haven't had time. Funny, I have the least time right now and simultaneously some of the best bike deals I've seen in ages are popping up on CL... Got an awesome 1974ish Moto Grand Touring for $25 the other day (missed a Windsor Carrerra in blue with chrome lugs from the same guy for $25 ) and a full 600 Schwinn Super Sport today for $75. Now I need storage!
Old 03-12-21, 11:05 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Well, that's really a bummer. There is no really good easy fix. A proper fix will involve repainting, and of course you don't want to do that.

So, treat the brazing and repainting option as the most extreme option, one that remains an option no matter what you do.

Before you go that route, you can carefully file of the damaged guide and replace it with a clamp or a glued-on guide.

Before you do that, try to fix them as well as possible. For the smashed one, I'd insert a gently tapered steel tool, like an awl maybe; tap it in until the hole is round, then tap it back out again.
The broken one, insert the same tool and tap the bent metal down until the crack closes up. I don't think any glue, epoxy, JBWeld or anything is going to do any good, likely just make a mess that's hard to clean up.
I'm with RHM: you don't need to use any glue or adhesive, the glue-area is so tiny nothing will have much of any effect. Just reform to round and close up the gap as best you can make sure there are no burrs to catch the housing, your shorts or skin! I'd use a plastic-faced mallet and rod "anvils"; go slow and hopefully the paint won't chip (much) but find some nail polish that "matches" just in case.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-12-21, 02:16 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Life is still hammering me, haven't had time for anything, sorry friends.

I could really use some drive-by advice though, if anyone is willing.

Picked up an immaculate '86 Corsa Mondiale via eBay, another Lawee bike joins the stable. Sadly, it arrived with shipping damage - a split cable guide, one is smushed, and the computer mount was FUBAR. Seller was cool about it, refunded 15% to cover repairs, and I walked out the door for less than $250 shipped which is a winner any day. All stock except for the 105 shift levers, stem and bars.

Anyone have advice on repair of this guide? Paint is flawless, so I'd love something low-invasive like soldering, then a touch-up (or similar). Torching this bike would be nuts; I got a quote of $60 to replace guide and primer going that route, though.
Tap down the opened one as suggested and then use a small awl on the flattened one....use a thick electrical tape for cushioning (not duct tape) on both sides of the guide and work the awl on each side of the guide a bit at a time until you open it up.
Worked for me...GL, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-12-21, 06:21 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Tap down the opened one as suggested and then use a small awl on the flattened one....use a thick electrical tape for cushioning (not duct tape) on both sides of the guide and work the awl on each side of the guide a bit at a time until you open it up.
Worked for me...GL, Ben
Kinda like this? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...le-guides.html

Seemed like a good frame to do a write-up on, instead of this one. I haven't repaired the broken cable guide, though. I still need a good solution for the broken guide that isn't "try some JB Weld!"

Old 03-12-21, 06:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Kinda like this? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...le-guides.html

Seemed like a good frame to do a write-up on, instead of this one. I haven't repaired the broken cable guide, though. I still need a good solution for the broken guide that isn't "try some JB Weld!"
HAHA so already been there done that!
Best, Ben

Old 03-12-21, 06:36 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
HAHA so already been there done that!
Best, Ben
Definitely, but it's OK, I definitely, really appreciate the advice anyway. Ultimately I should've taped the TT in the work above with painters tape, but the frame was in such crap shape I didn't think it mattered.

That's an old 62cm (ish) PB-14 frame I've got in the attic, got it as a freebie. Was converted to fixie and was banged all to hell.

Old 03-12-21, 06:57 PM
xiaoman1 

Definitely, but it's OK, I definitely, really appreciate the advice anyway. Ultimately I should've taped the TT in the work above with painters tape, but the frame was in such crap shape I didn't think it mattered.

That's an old 62cm (ish) PB-14 frame I've got in the attic, got it as a freebie. Was converted to fixie and was banged all to hell.
Ok, before using the adhesive of your choice. insert the awl or punch into a guide that is not damaged, mark it and then use it as a template when tapping down the damaged one....keeps it round. I guess you'll post a link showing that you already have done this. I always say there's "nothing like adding more patina".
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 03-12-21 at 07:05 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1: