Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

4 bike hitch carrier questions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-15-21, 06:54 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hello. My sister needs a 4 bike carrier for their Prius. Their kids are young now but they want something that can last them as they get older and want to all go on bike rides together. So this will need to hold 4 bikes, which will pretty much be hybrids. From what I read the hitch racks like the Thule apex where the bikes hang, can never really fit 4 full sized bikes, so that means they would need a hitch rack where the bikes sit on their wheels style. Is something like the Saris Freedom 4 a good rack for $600 or does one just need to put out the big bucks for the Saris Superclamp or the Thule T2 Classic with the 2 bike add on? Or does the Thule Apex 5 bike rack hold 4 bikes ok? Any feedback?
Old 03-15-21, 08:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
The biggest issue you're going to run into is hitch size, what kind of hitch will the prius actually take?
There isn't a single platform rack that will hold 4 bikes and fit a 1 1/4 hitch. I've found 3 that will take 3 bikes, 2 of them are cheaper brands while Kuat makes a nice one but it requires a class II hitch. I will be buying the Kuat soon and trying it on my wife's car with a class I hitch but I also bought the Curt hitch that is more sturdily bolted to the car and the heaviest bike I have is 26lbs, the three heaviest bikes combined would only be 72lbs so no where near that heavy. I have a 4 bike hanging rack and I've never managed to get 4 on there and travel any distance without a brake lever scratching something or tape being ripped or something along those lines.
Old 03-15-21, 09:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Well, I can confirm that hanging 4 real bikes on a 4-bike rack (in our case, Thule Parkway) was a nightmare. Oddly enough, 4 full size road bikes with traditional frames would have fit just fine, but none of us have those. Frames come in too many swoopy shapes and sizes now. Kids bikes were no easier. Removing all of the front wheels, racks, etc., from the bikes helped. Also, the car was a minivan, so there was space for the wheels.

We did this a couple times when we took long "destination" vacations, then gave up. When we go on rides, we start from our house. I know this isn't what you asked, but just offering some solace.
Old 03-16-21, 05:59 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Years ago I had a three bike rack. Hanging type. It was a pain but worked. If I had to carry four bikes today I agree it would be even more difficult. That’s assuming all are standard diamond frame bike of different sizes. I’d carry two to three on the roof and two to three on back. Bigger investment but offers more expansion.

I have grandkids now so I’m planning for the future. I have an Allen three bike hitch rack now. I’m waiting for towers stuck in USPS limbo for the roof rack. This will be for my canoe and one old Thule rail I bought off Craig’s List years ago. When I get a full suspension mtb or through axle bike I’ll get a new carrier for the roof.
Old 03-16-21, 06:22 AM
totheDude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
You need a standard 2” hitch. Then you can use Hollywood racks 4 bikes platform rack. It’s less than $400 and good quality. Only drawback is, you can’t open the trunk with the bikes on the rack.
Old 03-16-21, 09:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Bike carriers are like tents. A four person tent will hole four people, but only three comfortably. We have carried four bikes (of mixed styles) on a four bike Thule Apex (or a model that looks a lot like it). It takes some creative packing to get all four of them on, though.; this saddle over that bar, that bar through this wheel kind of thing.

A couple of suggestions. First, bungee things down -- you don't want Bob's front wheel swinging back and forth and the handlebars beating up Susie's bike. Second, if you're carrying mixte (girl's) bikes, look for something like the following. It gives you a "level" mount point for a hanging rack, and attaches under the chainstay and stem.
Yakima TubeTop Frame Adapter [8002531] | Accessories - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
Old 03-16-21, 11:34 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
2 bikes on the 1.25" hitch and the other 2 bikes on the roof rack
Likes For Elvo:
Old 03-16-21, 04:14 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This is false.

It depends on the rack. Hanging racks can hold four bikes, especially if some are kid's bikes. Tray mount bike carriers easily hold four bikes.
Also depends on the bikes. Flat bar bikes are easier to load than drop bars -- your example would be tougher if all four bikes were road or gravel bikes.
Old 03-16-21, 04:30 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
2 bikes on the 1.25" hitch and the other 2 bikes on the roof rack

IMO, this would be the best option if the OP's sister doesn't upgrade to a 2" hitch receiver in order to haul around a 4-bike platform carrier.
Old 03-16-21, 06:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Also depends on the bikes. Flat bar bikes are easier to load than drop bars -- your example would be tougher if all four bikes were road or gravel bikes.
We easily fit 4 drop bar road bikes. They are different sizes.
​​​​​​650c 43cm
700c 50cm
700c 54cm
700c 65cm

And a mix of flat and drops work fine too. Again, they are different sizes.
Maybe if they were the same size it would be tough?
Old 03-16-21, 08:04 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The biggest issue you're going to run into is hitch size, what kind of hitch will the prius actually take?
There isn't a single platform rack that will hold 4 bikes and fit a 1 1/4 hitch. I've found 3 that will take 3 bikes, 2 of them are cheaper brands while Kuat makes a nice one but it requires a class II hitch. I will be buying the Kuat soon and trying it on my wife's car with a class I hitch but I also bought the Curt hitch that is more sturdily bolted to the car and the heaviest bike I have is 26lbs, the three heaviest bikes combined would only be 72lbs so no where near that heavy. I have a 4 bike hanging rack and I've never managed to get 4 on there and travel any distance without a brake lever scratching something or tape being ripped or something along those lines.
This is the only thing that matters at this point. Russ Roth got it right. Having thread drift is not helping the OP. The suggestion of 2 off the back and 2 on the roof is a good one but that is going to cost a pretty penny in racks. Any solution will be a kludge at this point. Four bikes hanging might be the best solution but each bike well protected should be done. No easy solution to this problem.
Old 03-16-21, 09:42 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
How about make a tiny trailer for the tiny Prius?

When you have to transport four bikes, be prepared to loosen the handlebars and rotate 90 degrees to get a tight fit. I used to have to do that with four bikes (MTB bars, not road bars) on my Yakima HoldUp.
Old 03-17-21, 05:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been able to get 4 bikes on the old strap on the rear windshield kind of carrier and on a cheap 4 bike handing carrier but it is not for the faint of heart or for anyone who cares about the finish on the bikes.

I've only used a 4 bike platform/tray hitch carrier once that a friend had, no problems with 4 bikes on that. With my two bike Kuat, the extension is expensive but since two bikes fit easily it looks like 4 would, as well. The hitch size may be an issue but not how many bikes will fit.