Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Rear Derailleur Problem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-24-21, 07:39 AM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Dura Ace 6sp-7sp shifter on an old bike with downtube shifters. I changed the cables and the problem I have all of a sudden is this

The chain is around the small cog on the rear wheel. When I shift upwards into the higher sprockets if I let go of the shifter the chain automatically goes to the small cog in the rear. The derailleur doesn't want to hold the chain in the proper spot.

The shifter will move the chain upward but once tension is off, boom back down to the small sprocket
Old 03-24-21, 07:48 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by grall1126
I have a Dura Ace 6sp-7sp shifter on an old bike with downtube shifters. I changed the cables and the problem I have all of a sudden is this

The chain is around the small cog on the rear wheel. When I shift upwards into the higher sprockets if I let go of the shifter the chain automatically goes to the small cog in the rear. The derailleur doesn't want to hold the chain in the proper spot.

The shifter will move the chain upward but once tension is off, boom back down to the small sprocket
I think the problem is in the friction setting on the shifter not the derailleur. Tighten the screw for your right shifter a little, until it can hold the derailleur at the largest gear without slipping.
Old 03-24-21, 07:49 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
grall1126 The issue is with your shift lever. It can’t hold the tension from the derailleur spring. I assume you are running down tube levers in friction mode? If you switch to index mode the detents between shifts will eliminate the problem. If you intend to stay with friction, I would say you should disassemble the rear shifter down to the washers, bushings, shifter body and tension screw. Then clean everything with a non-slick cleaner (no WD40 or silicon containing waxy products) reassemble the washers and bushings dry and snug up the tension screw and reinstall and re-test. Hopefully it was just a matter of some slick substance getting into your shifter and now it is holding. Let me know if this suggestion describes your issue or if I am missing the mark.
Old 03-24-21, 07:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Friction shifter? You need to tighten the friction on the shift lever. Sometimes if the adjustment is worn out or put together wrong on the lever, then it won't ever stay put unless you tighten it so tight that the lever won't move.
Old 03-24-21, 07:51 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Also, your picture makes it look like you're close to small-small gear combination. The chain doesn't rub on itself when you're in the smallest gear and smallest chainring, does it? A rubbing chain means the chain is too long.
Old 03-25-21, 06:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
I suspect that the lever is too loose. If you're using the SIS downtube levers, be aware that (unlike other downtube levers) the D-ring on the right (rear derailleur) lever is not used to set lever friction, but rather to select between "friction" and "indexed" modes on the lever. Using it to set lever friction can damage the indexing mechanism. To set lever friction, use the screwdriver slot in the lever mounting bolt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sis-friction.jpg (56.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg
da-sis-shifter-parts.jpg (94.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-26-21, 01:51 PM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
sorry guys for the late response, you are right, that darn lever was loose, can't believe I didn't check it and immediately went to the cables.
Old 04-26-21, 02:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
When it comes to derailleur drivetrains, the shifters are the brains of the operation and the derailleurs are the blue collar workers. The cables are the chain of command