Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

So, can it be fixed?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

So, can it be fixed?

Old 04-06-21, 10:07 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So, can it be fixed?

A couple days back I was in a bike accident where I got banged up with tons of trail rash and my child on a trail-a-bike got away with a couple bumps (whew). But my bike now looks like this:

Now the tech at our LBS says that obviously the fork is toast but since this has a lugged frame there may be hidden damage inside the lugs, and I think I may be seeing some separation, that makes it unsafe to ride.

I was wondering before I take it in for a 2nd opinion do they have a reasonable assessment for what could be going on here? I know the fork is dead but the rest of the frame makes me wonder.

Edit: Closeup of the headtube and the space there with a toothpick in it.

Last edited by FelixScout; 04-06-21 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Shrinking images
Old 04-06-21, 10:20 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
That would be iffy at best with a professional straightening but since you use it to tow your child that would be a "no way"!!! If your fork breaks while riding you lose control sending your kid into traffic, a tree, etc. Just make sure you check the rest of the frame very closely for signs of separation and paint cracks. Fortunately that old Schwinn can take a beating and may be OK. The old Schwinn experts here can advise on a replacement fork since it may have some hard-to-find threading on the steerer tube.
Old 04-06-21, 10:27 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That fork is scrap. But the rest of the frame is my question.

And thank you for helping me clarify my question.

Last edited by FelixScout; 04-06-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 11:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Looks to me as if the downtube suffered damage as well. Look at the underside of the tube near the head tube lug, looks as if it is crumpled. The frame and fork appear to be a write off
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-06-21, 11:03 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
you may want to try a post in frame builders forum https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/ (think a couple of guys may be close to you) and add pictures showing the head tube with another 2 inches of top tube and down tube to see if any deformation can be seen in those areas

super good that the kiddo is ok......

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-06-21, 12:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
It looks like the downtube (and lug) are bent. But this is a conservatively spec'd and built frame. It might well be just fine; simply with a touch less wheelbase and slightly quicker steering. (You might look at a slightly straighter; ie less rake, fork to compensate. The combo will bring the front wheel closer so you will have more toe overlap.)

Yes, most would say don't ride it. But bikes like yours have been ridden with shortened wheelbases for the past century. If it were mine and I liked the bike, I'd look for a fork of similar length and say around 40mm rake and try it. Like it? Ride it (and keep your eye out for a nice replacement). If you ride this bike to failure, that failure will probably be at the headtube, not a good one. But the next two or three years? I'd guess the bike will do just fine. And that area is very easy to see and watch. It's old fashioned steel, so nothing is going to happen quickly.

Now I did do this almost exact same crash to my previous winter/rain/city fix gear and simply replaced the frame but I had already crashed that bike hard twice (15 and 10 years before and both were new fork times). It had 27,000 miles on it and had earned its retirement. That bike was a Miyata 610. Probably not all that far from yours in specs, durability, etc.

Before you do anything, lay the bike down minus front wheel. Tape a yardstick to the headtube osone edge runs down the center. Place another front wheel 2 inches forward of the centerline like it was on the bike. Close to the downtube? or does that look OK? If it is close, you can straighten the frame. I've never done it or seen anyone else do it but there is at least one thread on BF to go to.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-06-21, 02:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Take a good straight edge and lay it along the "long" tubes to see if there is a bend.
Old 04-06-21, 02:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Would you want to continue carrying your child on that frame after the fork is bent like that. It is an old Schwinn nothing worth a ton of money and certainly not worth putting a child and their father at risk over saving some gas pipe steel from the 80s. You do you but I wouldn't put money towards the bike even if it could potentially be safe the thought of it being more compromised now would loom overhead.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-06-21, 03:05 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Negative - not worth the risk, and it's easy to find a comparable frameset cheaply, so it's new bike scouting time.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-06-21, 04:28 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
If you have a fork that fits and the tools, you could do it and see. But otherwise get a new frame or bike.
What's the condition of the rest of the bike?
Old 04-06-21, 04:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
There are a couple of pieces to this, one of which is getting your child to get back on the trail-a-bike.

If you replace the frame/bike, it might be an easier sell since you got a better bike that won’t crash.

John
Old 04-06-21, 04:54 PM
markjenn

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
That was a HARD hit. I guess if the bike was an expensive model, a very valuable classic, etc., you might start looking into stripping it down, doing a very thorough inspection and maybe deciding to replace the fork and ride. But it's not and further, it looks to be in rough shape overall. There's a fine line between being intelligently frugal and being cheap - to me, trying to fix this up and continue riding it is the latter.

- Mark
Old 04-06-21, 04:57 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There are a couple of pieces to this, one of which is getting your child to get back on the trail-a-bike.
John
Amazingly That is not an issue since she is wondering when we can go for a ride again.
Old 04-06-21, 05:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
Old Schwinn. Nothing special. Buy something like a used 90's rigid mountain bike and upgrade.

​​​​​​https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...302597468.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-06-21, 05:16 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Old Schwinn. Nothing special. Buy something like a used 90's rigid mountain bike and upgrade.

​​​​​​https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik...302597468.html
I do have one that is being rebuilt right now: 93 Bianchi Advantage. Which is why I was riding the Schwinn.
Old 04-06-21, 05:22 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
NBD approaches
Barry
Old 04-06-21, 05:33 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Curious, what caused the accident? Old faulty equipment?

Looking at the condition of your bike overall, I would not feel safe pulling a child on that bike even before the accident. You got away without too much physical damage the first time.
I hit a sizable branch on a hardpack trail and instead of being a bump over it jammed the wheel and I went over. Not something I would normally do but it happened.

As for the bike, what is wrong with it? It is something multiple LBS have tuned up and never said anything was wrong other than being old.
Old 04-06-21, 05:35 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
If you have a fork that fits and the tools, you could do it and see. But otherwise get a new frame or bike.
What's the condition of the rest of the bike?
Well the tech said there is concern about the the brazing in the lugs due to bike age and the severity of impact. And that led to this question.
Old 04-06-21, 05:52 PM
blamester
Blamester

Originally Posted by FelixScout
Well the tech said there is concern about the the brazing in the lugs due to bike age and the severity of impact. And that led to this question.
Well what I meant was if you have a fork that fits and it is handy to install then it might be worth doing. If you have to find a fork and get it installed it's not worth saving.
And is the rest of the bike worth saving. Like are the wheels and brakes good or the tyres or the gears.
Likes For blamester:
Old 04-06-21, 06:31 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
And is the rest of the bike worth saving. Like are the wheels and brakes good or the tyres or the gears.
No fork on hand. Sad I didn't grab one the last time I had a chance.

As for the rest of the parts: brakes and lever and shifters seem good. The freewheel has had some use but not more than a few hundred miles. The chain is newish and the shifters could use a cleaning but they work. The back wheel is good but the front is a question mark.

I was planning on pulling the parts.
Old 04-06-21, 06:35 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Well or one, it looks old and beat. Stuff fails. Your spokes look pretty gnarly and the front hug is awfully dirty. Those types of things can be improved upon. So your shop had never suggest a new front wheel or mentioned that maybe it should be cleaned or lubed?
Well I didn't clean the bike up after the crash.

Otherwise they did lube it since I took it in for annual check ups. I have to wonder if you're getting hung up on the visual appearance over the mechanical and structural reliability.

If it was unsafe I would expect these trained techs to tell me so. Since they didn't it was human error that got me here. Mine.
Old 04-06-21, 06:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
Check the frame.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ll-usable.html
Old 04-06-21, 06:47 PM
blamester
Blamester

No fork on hand. Sad I didn't grab one the last time I had a chance.

As for the rest of the parts: brakes and lever and shifters seem good. The freewheel has had some use but not more than a few hundred miles. The chain is newish and the shifters could use a cleaning but they work. The back wheel is good but the front is a question mark.

I was planning on pulling the parts.
Start looking for a frame. Same standards as your one. Bottom bracket and seat post size
Likes For blamester:
Old 04-06-21, 06:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
can it? Yes. Will it exceed the cost rather than just finding a good frame or ready to go bicycle? More than likely so.
Old 04-06-21, 06:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
I hit a sizable branch on a hardpack trail and instead of being a bump over it jammed the wheel and I went over. Not something I would normally do but it happened.

As for the bike, what is wrong with it? It is something multiple LBS have tuned up and never said anything was wrong other than being old.
It is an old bike made of cheap steel that has been in at least one significant impact and is being used to haul a child around with one of their parents. Do you really need to say more than that? If I was a parent and this happened I wouldn't want to continue riding that bike. If it were something of value maybe I would give it a close inspection but a dime a dozen gas-pipe frame not at all. If I had special attachment to it I would use it as decoration like a wall hanger but I wouldn't want to carry myself much less my child.
Likes For veganbikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.