Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain keeps coming off crank gear at high gears

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain keeps coming off crank gear at high gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 10:42 AM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Your chain is too short, the tension when in the high gear should have just a little tension on the derailleur (something like this image). The tension in the low gear will then be closer to what is currently your high gear
Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 04-08-21, 04:02 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Yeah, looks like from the pics your chain is a little shorter than optimal, but glad that it's getting you around better than before with getting that bad link out. Looks like if you can find 5-7 links from another old chain, or another older chain you now have the skills to piece it together. You may also have to wiggle the links laterally when replacing them if they are too stiff.
Likes For imakecircles:
Old 04-08-21, 07:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If it's shifting and doing everything that it should do for you now, I wouldn't mess with it until something else needs attention. You done good in my book. Keep it up.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-10-21, 09:00 AM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

As I was weaving The crank out ball bearings from the right side Were falling out. The bearing cup on the right side has a crack in it. As does the cup that threads onto the right side of the crank.
Old 04-10-21, 09:11 AM
homeless in ca.

One of my dumpster bikes has a single piece crank and the frame shell has same dimensions 2.75 x 2.25. The crank isn't wobbly at all will it fit?

Forgot to add the donor bike is single gear with coaster brake

Last edited by homeless in ca.; 04-10-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 09:36 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.

As I was weaving The crank out ball bearings from the right side Were falling out. The bearing cup on the right side has a crack in it. As does the cup that threads onto the right side of the crank.
I would probably look for another bike.

If you don't want to do that, ask at a bike shop what it would cost for the necessary new parts.
Old 04-10-21, 10:07 AM
homeless in ca.

I do want to get a new bike well build a bike actually. But 1st I need to learn how they work and keep my current ride working.

The bearing on the right came off the donor bike. It has more ball bearings 12 instead of 9 But it looks like everything should fit I gonna go ahead give it a try

I can't really tell I need some new glasses or something but the crank on the right which came off the donor bike looks like the cogs are pointier and less worn.
Old 04-10-21, 10:13 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If you can get free parts, repairing is a good way to go.
Old 04-10-21, 01:26 PM
homeless in ca.

The dumpster bike crank is a lot better. I replaced the chain with one I took off an adolescent bike. It was too short too so I added a few more links from my old chain. Pics above are in highest and lowest gears. Short test ride was good.

But the bike does not go into the highest gear it goes into the 2nd highest gear. When I move the chain onto the highest gear by hand and ride it makes a clicking noise.
Old 04-10-21, 07:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Do you have the 'H' setting correct on the DR? If not, it might be trying to push the chain back off the highest gear causing the clicking noise. It would also explain why it won't shift to the highest gear. Something to check.
Another thought, did the 'new' chain ring change the chain alignment?
Old 04-10-21, 10:24 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Do you have the 'H' setting correct on the DR? If not, it might be trying to push the chain back off the highest gear causing the clicking noise. It would also explain why it won't shift to the highest gear. Something to check.
Another thought, did the 'new' chain ring change the chain alignment?
I didn't really get into the derailleur. I tried cleaning the spring a bit. And I noticed the clicking noise went away if I pulled the derailleur away from the frame a bit to make it line up more closely with the highest gear.

When I was packing up I was annoyed that the crank with the sprocket still on it wouldn't fit in my parts bin. The 2nd picture in post #32 is how the old crank came out and the new crank went in. I just replaced the bearing cages and the cups.

So I grabbed by pipe wrench and removed the stationary cup holding the crank to the sprocket. And behind it were two spacers. I don't know if there are spacers on the other crank but if I add those spacers it looks like it will move the sprocket further away from the frame and it should line up better with the highest gear.
Old 04-11-21, 12:37 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I didn't really get into the derailleur. I tried cleaning the spring a bit. And I noticed the clicking noise went away if I pulled the derailleur away from the frame a bit to make it line up more closely with the highest gear.

When I was packing up I was annoyed that the crank with the sprocket still on it wouldn't fit in my parts bin. The 2nd picture in post #32 is how the old crank came out and the new crank went in. I just replaced the bearing cages and the cups.

So I grabbed by pipe wrench and removed the stationary cup holding the crank to the sprocket. And behind it were two spacers. I don't know if there are spacers on the other crank but if I add those spacers it looks like it will move the sprocket further away from the frame and it should line up better with the highest gear.
You might have discovered half of your problem with those spacers, but you can't be swapping out parts like you're doing and not have to adjust (tune) your derailleur, unless you are one really lucky person, in which case, what lottery numbers should I pic this week?