Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buy used racing bike or build one instead? Cost vs labor...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Buy used racing bike or build one instead? Cost vs labor...

Old 04-09-21, 08:54 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
it listed the brakes as ultegra 600.........if that is correct they are nice brakes, but single pivot. I either of you is handy upgrading to some dual pivot brakes would be IMHO a really good and not expensive investment
It' definitely a dual pivot brake:
https://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_j...C_1200x900.jpg

Ultegra 600 tri-color brakes come in both single and dual pivot flavors.

$400 is a great deal for this 853 tubing/ Ultegra groupset bike!
Old 04-10-21, 06:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Looks like the OP/friend dun good..nice bike for $400.

One suggestion if/when you're looking in the future..don't hobble yourself by looking in "DC area only". If you're looking for the right bike, at the right price, in the right condition..you have to be willing to travel. On the east coast, with DC as the center point, a 5 hour drive radius gives you TONS of options. A 5 hr drive radius makes for a 11-12hr day(BTDT for equipment more times than I can remember..actually many trips are great memories) to go and pickup a bike(assuming the one you find is on the 5 hr edge..not 2-3 hours..)..ya..long day, but it's only a day. Once it's over..done..game on..for years. No more searching or waiting for the stars to align locally.

I have friends that want to buy used, but only want (are willing to drive to) something local. Apparently(???) they'd rather kludge along with very poor bikes..kayaks..etc..for a year or two, and spend lots of time searching, rather than find something, even 4 hrs way, go get it and be done with the process. Insisting on local is a waste of time..literally. Life is short..get on with it.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 04-10-21, 06:04 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...ku=c13400m1048

I know it blows the budget a little, but it's 105 11-speed on one of the best aluminum frames available, without the headaches of sourcing parts and making mistakes in the middle of pandemic-induced supply-chain interruptions, plus the headaches of finding replacements for parts that will soon become obsolete.
Old 04-11-21, 09:43 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Looks like the OP/Friend dun good..nice bike for $400.
One suggestion if/when you're looking in the future..don't hobble yourself by looking in "DC area only". If you're looking for the right bike, at the right price, in the right condition..you have to be willing to travel. On the east coast, with DC as the center point, a 5 hour drive radius gives you TONS of options. A 5 hr drive radius makes for a 11-12hr day(BTDT for equipment more times than I can remember..actually many trips are great memories) to go and pickup a bike(assuming the one you find is on the 5 hr edge..not 2-3 hours..)..ya..long day, but it's only a day. Once it's over..done..game on..for years. No more searching or waiting for the stars to align locally. I have friends that want to buy used, but only want (are willing to drive to) something local. Apparently(???) they'd rather kludge along with very poor bikes..kayaks..etc..for a year or two, and spend lots of time searching, rather than find something, even 4 hrs way, go get it and be done with the process. Insisting on local is a waste of time..literally. Life is short..get on with it.
That's a really excellent idea, I never thought it! I'm going to be in the market for a TT bike soon and it has to have all the bells and whistles. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-11-21, 10:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Having built bikes from the frame, as well as buying, unless your friend has great connections/sources/parts bins to get parts cheap, and can build the bike himself, it is almost always more expensive to build.

In my experience you build because you want something that is unique, and you really like to build them. Just building basically the same as what a mfg already specs will probably be a losing proposition.

John
The other reason to build it yourself is having a vintage bike you want to rebuild to original spec. Even a fairly complete bike always needs something.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-11-21, 12:54 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dglevy
Hey all, so, as it turns out, Lewis bought the Fuji Roubaix for $400, which he had spotted online and asked for my opinion for yesterday. Many thanks to the experienced many who kindly took the time to give feedback. He bought the bike without even riding it because the bike had no brake pads and the tires were flat! Hopefully it will turn out to be just right for his needs. We shall see. For the benefit of those who took an interest in the question, I will post an update once he has ridden it (with brake pads, that is...)
Great score and and choice. I have a 2003 Roubaix Pro. When new they had full 105 group , Richey wheel set, bars, stem ,seatpost. Very fast bike that climbs well. I upgraded some parts over the years but still have the original parts. These where quality bikes at a good price which was suggested at 1599 at the time.
Old 04-11-21, 01:11 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
Great score and and choice. I have a 2003 Roubaix Pro. When new they had full 105 group , Richey wheelset, bars, stem ,seatpost. Very fast bike that climbs well. I upgraded some parts over the years but still have the original parts. These were quality bikes at a good price which was suggested at 1599 at the time.
$1600? Wow! Even if that was MSRP and most bikes sold for less, let's assume conservatively one could buy the bike new, the following year, at a steep discount. Let's say it was selling for $1000, the next year. that would be $1,400 in today's money! Not bad for $400...
Old 04-11-21, 08:17 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Hi all, I have a friend who is looking to get his first racing bike, used, here in Washington DC. He's having trouble finding one in his price range. I thought he might find, say, a 10 or 15 year old bike in the $7-800 range with Shimano 105 or even Ultegra components but no luck. He says the bikes he's interested in have an asking price of $1300-$1400. So, now he's looking at building one himself. For example, starting with this, currently on the market:

"BMC ALR01 51cm frameset, $450, frame, fork & seatpost, geometry is identical to the carbon version."

My question is this: Would he be biting off more than he can chew? Seems like a huge project to me that will take too long, like 3 months. He's a good, amateur mechanic but can only work nights and weekends, at best; plus he wants to save money by buying used parts wherever possible. On the plus side, he's got a friend who is a professional mechanic who is willing to help him with the more challenging moments. Personally, I think it's WAY too much of a hassle, but I don't have enough mechanical experience to know for sure. What do y'all think?
building a bike is easy , if the frame set doesn't come with bearing for the bottom bracket and head set the hardest part will be pressing one in if its press fit , if its threaded than there is no way u can mess it up , but getting the right parts at a deal can be harder now a days , you kinda have to constantly be looking and buy parts even when you dont need them if the price is really good , so the soon you start the sooner you will find the right parts on your terms
Old 04-12-21, 12:46 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
. Personally, I think it's WAY too much of a hassle, but I don't have enough mechanical experience to know for sure. What do y'all think?
What is way too much hassle is a strange thing - it is very easy to get in too deep and give up, but then if one is going to have a race bike then hassle is the name of the game.

I hope your friend enjoys his bike, but the rest of us make a poor guide to his desired level of hassle
Likes For Geepig:
Old 04-12-21, 11:29 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It' definitely a dual pivot brake:
https://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_j...C_1200x900.jpg

Ultegra 600 tri-color brakes come in both single and dual pivot flavors.

$400 is a great deal for this 853 tubing/ Ultegra groupset bike!
good catch waiting for first ride report

Old 04-12-21, 07:26 PM
Lewis Yelin

Bikes: (1) 2003 Fuji Roubaix Pro, (2) 2003 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So far so good. After replacing the inner tubes, brake hardware, and pads, adjusting the shifters on the handlebar and re-taping, and tuning the front derailleur, I took it for a spin today. It rode quite nicely, so I think it was a good gamble.

Last edited by Lewis Yelin; 04-12-21 at 07:35 PM.
Likes For Lewis Yelin:
Old 04-17-21, 08:23 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey all, so, as it turns out, Lewis bought the Fuji Roubaix for $400, which he had spotted online and asked for my opinion for yesterday. Many thanks to the experienced many who kindly took the time to give feedback. He bought the bike without even riding it because the bike had no brake pads and the tires were flat! Hopefully it will turn out to be just right for his needs. We shall see. For the benefit of those who took an interest in the question, I will post an update once he has ridden it (with brake pads, that is...)
UPDATE: Lewis measured the frame using the string method to make sure it's not bent: only a 1 mm difference between sides, which is within tolerance (generally 1mm-2mm). VICTORY! Looks like the guy who sold it to him was just very sloppy but not trying to pull a fast one. Kudos to Lewis for being a risk-taker: he got a $1400 bike (value new, back in 2003) for $400--the first bike he looked at!
Old 04-18-21, 11:05 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
UPDATE: Lewis measured the frame using the string method to make sure it's not bent: only a 1 mm difference between sides, which is within tolerance (generally 1mm-2mm). VICTORY! Looks like the guy who sold it to him was just very sloppy but not trying to pull a fast one. Kudos to Lewis for being a risk-taker: he got a $1400 bike (value new, back in 2003) for $400--the first bike he looked at!
thanks for update