Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 09:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Nice stuff, folks! I love the Univega touring bike. And the color on that Motobecane is just amazing. The whole bike is amazing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-09, 11:42 PM
drummer5

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Team Record, 1979 Motobecane Mirage, 1985 Gitane Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOBSONATOR
moar pics?
Soon, probably tomorrow. I'll start a new thread with more pictures and info.
Old 10-07-09, 01:50 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me something about this catch? All I know is that it is a Nishiki Custom Sport...I think from the 80's. My father in law has it and is going to sell it to me for 30 dollars!
Old 10-07-09, 02:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
That Nishiki is a solid though uninspiring bike. It was about as low as you could go and still get a decent ride and a durable, reliable bike. It may have steel rims, which aren't the best. The preferred material for rims is aluminum, as it rides much better because of weight and it also brakes better, especially in the rain. I would definitely buy that bike, if it fits. If you enjoy it, leave it exactly as it is for now. It appears to be in good condition. If you decide you want to keep it and get more out of it, you can replace the rims or the entire wheels. The front wheel is quick release but the rear is not, so I would replace the entire rear wheel.

Also, some new tires would improve the ride.

Good luck, and if you do buy it and start riding it, start your own thread on it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-09, 03:27 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is interesting, I have heard that it was the "top-end" entry level bike for nishiki...for 30 bucks I can't really complain.

I will probably replace the wheels, tires, chain, and cables...clean up the derailleurs and grease/lube everything and be ready to go!
Old 10-07-09, 04:31 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Update on the grey PGN-10. I've got a ways to go, and cannot decide on a drivetrain. I am thinking of getting the 105 from the 560, and returning that to the stock Suntour BL.,,,,,BD

Old 10-07-09, 05:19 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
That is interesting, I have heard that it was the "top-end" entry level bike for nishiki...for 30 bucks I can't really complain.

I will probably replace the wheels, tires, chain, and cables...clean up the derailleurs and grease/lube everything and be ready to go!
It's worth 30 dollars, no doubt about that. Even the higher end Nishikis of that era seem to be mid-grade bikes. I had a Nishiki International, which was pretty nice but you could tell it was built and spec'd with the retail price in mind.

Your Nishiki looks like it's in great shape. The decals are notoriously crappy but yours look good. Not to mention, the Nishiki head badges are super super cool.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 10-07-09, 06:57 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
It's worth 30 dollars, no doubt about that. Even the higher end Nishikis of that era seem to be mid-grade bikes. I had a Nishiki International, which was pretty nice but you could tell it was built and spec'd with the retail price in mind.

Your Nishiki looks like it's in great shape. The decals are notoriously crappy but yours look good. Not to mention, the Nishiki head badges are super super cool.
Cool. Well I am just looking forward to riding again! I love vintage rides, especially ones that have character...
Old 10-07-09, 07:39 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waaaaaaaay back in spring earlier in the year I pulled a GT force aluminum frame out of the dumpster behind a bike shop, dont think it was ever used, just shop "wear" by the looks of it. I know its grotesque as anything and just an ugly welded 6061 frame so thats exactly why I decided to build it up as a winter machine, all the components I put on it are JUNK IMO about besides the shimano bar cons which I love but they shouldnt get wrecked being outta the line of fire for the most part.

The fork is a tange steel fork from a kuwahara I had, I customized the rake by putting a 2X4 over it and jumping on it (believe it or not it came out straight!) as it just had way too much bend... Sakea SA crank with 52/46 rings, a really ugly shimano front rim, I think that might be a AVA death stem? Ultegra front derailleur, a plain "SIS" rear derailleur from the late 80s, Got a centerpull front brake which I may have to replace with something else, somehow the bike as photo'd without a chain and pedals is only 19lbs.
Old 10-07-09, 10:50 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Keep an eye on that head tube. I have the same bike but with different colored graphics. The bottom front of the head tube developed a crack, dead center. No evidence of abuse either. Maybe it got jumped off of a curb too hard or something. My theory is that GT had too much head tube below the down tube in front, and that allowed it to flex and crack. Not saying there's anything wrong with yours, just keep a lookout and catch it early. I think I'm going to have mine repaired at some point, and have a gusset added between the head and down tubes.,,,,BD
Old 10-07-09, 11:24 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Well, well, well.... welcome back, metalchef!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-08-09, 03:43 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Well, well, well.... welcome back, metalchef!
Howdy
Old 10-08-09, 06:51 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Scored two for the price of one (trip, at least) yesterday. Univega Ital Sport with Campy Triomphe, and a chromed (very poorly) Fuji with Suntour Superbe Pro. Looks like the Fuji was dressed with the Superbe later in its life, possibly after it hit a curb. I didn't notice the slight tube wrinkles until I brought it home - I was blinded by the Superbe!

Oh, and the Univega's got one fully intact, uncracked Campy gum hood. That's got be worth at least $50!

Old 10-08-09, 03:56 PM
stausty

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The head tube on the Fuji does look a little too steep and the top tube looks curved, but I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. But you got a sweet Superbe Pro groupset (with bar end shifters!) out of it. Very jealous.
Old 10-08-09, 05:11 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
- Univega Viva Touring frame + the wheel set with new Continental tires & Suntour freewheel- $35
- Parts (Sugino Crank, Sakae Bars, Cyclone DR's) from a scrapped Miyata 710 that I got for - Free !
- Plastic mountain bike pedals - Free
- Alloy rack - $1

( Plus new bar tape, cables, hsgs, ss mounting screws, and bottle holder.)

PS- I gave up looking for brake hoods for less than $40.

Sweet! Just the kind of bike I keep watching for.
Old 10-08-09, 05:18 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Waaaaaaaay back in spring earlier in the year I pulled a GT force aluminum frame out of the dumpster behind a bike shop, dont think it was ever used, just shop "wear" by the looks of it. I know its grotesque as anything and just an ugly welded 6061 frame so thats exactly why I decided to build it up as a winter machine, all the components I put on it are JUNK IMO about besides the shimano bar cons which I love but they shouldnt get wrecked being outta the line of fire for the most part.
That's your winter machine? In Ontario? I'd be thinking about knobby tires, if not steel studs, and full fenders. But maybe the ice is less slippery on the Canadian side, than I remember from upstate NY?
Old 10-08-09, 07:01 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stausty
The head tube on the Fuji does look a little too steep and the top tube looks curved, but I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out. But you got a sweet Superbe Pro groupset (with bar end shifters!) out of it. Very jealous.
I'm not disappointed, really, given the components on it. The frame build is pretty sloppy anyway, and I'm not sure it's even chrome. I pulled the fork today - the steerer is way out of vertical. I suppose it could be bent back or removed and re-welded, but the frame itself is toast.
Old 10-09-09, 05:20 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What do you get when you wish for A raleigh Sports in another color besides the one you really don't want? another one you don't want! Now I have three brown Raleigh Sports. the neat thing is if I put all m sports in a line I noticed the small changes over the years.

Sorry for crummy pic
Old 10-09-09, 06:48 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
That's your winter machine? In Ontario? I'd be thinking about knobby tires, if not steel studs, and full fenders. But maybe the ice is less slippery on the Canadian side, than I remember from upstate NY?
Oh it gets bad here, very bad, but It doesnt really make a difference for what kind of tires youre running, knobbies will slide around just as much as slicks do. Ive rode through 3 winters with normal road bike tires, havent died yet! I just stick to the main traveled roads, all the cars melt the snow away for the most part.
Old 10-09-09, 06:48 PM
BMXr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi i'm new to the forums.
A co-worker of mine was moving and decided to get rid of a lot of things from the house.
One of the things she was giving away was a 1976 Schwinn Continental. Without seeing it I agreed to take it off her hands. Upon receiving it I was surprised by how good of a condition it was in. It basically sat in her garage for a better part of 25+ years and after a little cleaning looked almost brand new. Everything is original on the bike (well i'm pretty sure anyways, she said she hadn't done anything to it). I know more about BMX bikes than I do about touring bikes. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this model and whether or not it's worth anything.

Old 10-09-09, 06:54 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't expect to make a fortune. The continental was a low-end Schwinn. In some markets $150 is reasonable. And since you got it for free, anything's profit.
-Gene-
Old 10-09-09, 07:50 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm also in ontario and Road bikes are actualy pretty good. the narrow tire cuts through the snow pretty well. I've studded a road tire before. just the front one and the bike went very good. and when you hit a snowbank you cut right into it. lol
Old 10-09-09, 08:08 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
Oh it gets bad here, very bad, but It doesnt really make a difference for what kind of tires youre running, knobbies will slide around just as much as slicks do. Ive rode through 3 winters with normal road bike tires, havent died yet! I just stick to the main traveled roads, all the cars melt the snow away for the most part.
I feel for all the northern folks. No such thing as winter/summer bikes here in Savannah. Also no need to winterize your boat. You can go boating as late as mid Dec or as early as mid Jan.
Old 10-09-09, 09:07 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schwinn Continental I was giving from a nieghbor.
3 piece conversion (Thanks Pastorbob)
Crome forks not shown.

WIP

Old 10-10-09, 01:53 AM
wahtermelon

Bikes: specialized rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki International pre-1975 - Saved!

Hi everyone, I've read a lot around here in the last few weeks as I've been restoring an old bike. Now that I've finished I decided I'd make my first post!

I stumbled across a rusted old outside the dumpster of my apartment complex and since my last bike was stolen I figured I'd fix it up. I also have a liking for projects like this kind. It feels better than buying it at the store, it's cheaper, and hopefully better for the environment (I feel kinda bad for those aerosol cans though).

The decals were illegible and the paint was in pretty bad condition, though I do regret that I didn't take any pictures of it before I started sanding and repainting. The front wheel was also bent as well as the rear axle so I had to get those replaced. The cogset was rusted so much so that I knocked off a few teeth by accident so that had to go too. Everything else worked more or less so they stayed!

And now it's finished. My restored Nishiki International from sometime pre-1975. The winged "W" on the crank and the WCCSC on the dropouts indicate that it was distributed through West Coast Cycle Supply Company who dropped the "Company" off their name in early 1975.

I ride it around Irvine now not far (certainly only a few hours ride) away from where WCCSC once operated when my bike passed through on it's way from Japan.

Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.