Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Take a shower before a rainy commute ...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 03:40 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I work in a home office now, but for over 5 years I worked in a building without showers. Every day I'd shower before biking 9 miles to work, including mornings when it raining. This morning I had an errand to run in the morning, and it's forecast to rain all day. I take my morning shower like every other day, knowing I'm gonna get soaked biking 13 miles. Always seemed like a waste back then and still does today.

Anybody else shower in the morning, even though you know you're gonna be a mess when you get to work?
Old 05-25-16, 03:46 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Anybody else shower in the morning, even though you know you're gonna be a mess when you get to work?
I shower before I leave. After a ~5 minute drying period in the AC upon arrival, I'm dry and comfortable.

I'm not a big fan riding in warm rain, though, since my rain gear doesn't breathe well, despite the marketing claims.
Old 05-25-16, 03:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Nope. I never shower in the morning before riding to work, or if I'll be spending time out in the sun. Skin oil and leftover grime are a very mild but useful UV protectant, and the former is the basis for vitamin D synthesis. I'm fortunate that I can take a shower when I get to work, though.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-25-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 03:57 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
I'm not a big fan riding in warm rain, though, since my rain gear doesn't breathe well, despite the marketing claims.
Exactly, today was around 75F, too warm for the rain gear. So I rode with clothes that would dry quickly. It worked OK. Back in my commuting days, I kept a towel at the office for a quick dry before putting on office clothes. Which reminds me of the day when I didn't get my bag properly rolled up and my office pants were wet. Started the day looked like a walking Rorschach test.
Old 05-25-16, 03:58 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Warm rain=warm weather. I'd ditch the rain gear and just go minimalist. You're gonna get wet regardless.
Old 05-25-16, 03:58 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Nope. I never shower in the morning before riding to work, or if I'll be spending time out in the sun.
Shower at the office? Or in the PM?

I know many people like to shower before bed, but that's never worked for me.
Old 05-25-16, 03:59 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I suppose showering before sweating makes you smell less after you've dried, but I'm fortunate enough to have a shower at work, which I love. If I didn't, not sure if I'd be cycling to work, TBH.
Old 05-25-16, 04:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Shower at the office? Or in the PM?

I know many people like to shower before bed, but that's never worked for me.
I have a bad habit of posting a glib answer and then finding things to add to it later.

I'll usually rinse off (no soap/shampoo) when I get back home.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-25-16, 04:05 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Warm rain=warm weather. I'd ditch the rain gear and just go minimalist. You're gonna get wet regardless.
I still prefer wearing rain gear, but it's a personal preference. My reasoning is that it tends to be relatively cooler when it rains, so if I ride without rain gear, I'm often still going to be chilly, which I dislike. I'd rather be hot and wet than cold and wet. Again, my personal preference.

ETA: Plus, the level of wetness is different between sweating inside rain gear, and being in the rain without protection. I [hate wet shoes and socks!

Last edited by Jaywalk3r; 05-25-16 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 04:12 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I usually don't shower in the morning before riding to work unless I (or more usually my wife) can detect some extra smell. This includes days where I ride in the rain (which isn't too many out here).
Old 05-25-16, 04:33 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sit in the spa for a few minutes at home before getting geared up for my morning commute. I do this rain or shine. Not quite the same as showering but gets me nice and warmed up and woken up. I have a full locker room at work and hit the shower once I arrive.

On occasion I shower before the evening commute home too. Makes it a bit easier to survive a cool commute home if I start off warmed up.
Old 05-25-16, 05:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'll see you and raise you the electrical storm and gravel sized hail I got without warning just 5 blocks out from home to the bike shop, and I had to get there before closing.
Old 05-26-16, 06:07 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Agreed. I ride hot, and I remember when I bought rain gear to get into all-weather commuting. I’d end up wetter with my sweat than I’d be with the rain. It has to be below 60F for me to put on any rain gear.
Old 05-26-16, 07:18 AM
mrchaotica

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I [hate wet shoes and socks!
SPD sandals.
Old 05-26-16, 07:26 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am fortunate to have a shower at work. On days where I ride from the Better Halfs office, I'll shower at home bc my sweating is limited on a measly 3.5 mile ride. I pretty much have to shower at some point in the morning or I never really feel like I have woken up. I shower a lot. I like to be clean.
Old 05-26-16, 07:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I pretty much have to shower at some point in the morning or I never really feel like I have woken up.
This ^^^^

I am fortunate to have a shower at work.
To add to my person story, I started bike commuting to an office that had great showers & locker room. This made it easy to start bike commuting. By the time I change jobs to a building without showers, I was hooked on bike commuting and just adapted to showering prior to my ride.

Additionally, that first office without showers was tiny, and my boss was very kind letting me use our conference room/lunch room as a changing room. The boss was seriously OCD and didn't like the idea of changing in the men's room, he encouraged me to use the conference room.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 05-26-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 08:13 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I shower every morning before I ride into work. It makes no difference whether it is raining or not. If it is raining, I wear rain gear. Sweat by itself does not have odor. It is the bacteria on the skin which makes the odor. So, if you are freshly showered, you should have little, if any, odor due to your bike ride to work despite perspiring.
Old 05-26-16, 08:29 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
gravel sized hail
Is that sort of like crayon colored paint?
Old 05-26-16, 10:11 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I don't shower before I ride to work... raining or not. I though you were going to say you prewet your clothes before riding to work in the shower.
I shower after riding to work... rain or not.
Old 05-26-16, 11:38 AM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchaotica
SPD sandals.
I have no need or desire to use clipless pedals. I ride in whatever clothes I'm wearing. And it's doubtful I'd ever wear sandals in any context, particularly on a bike.
Old 05-26-16, 02:12 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Before they got the gym (with showers) up and running in the new building, I showered every day before leaving for work. It just feels good to get those areas where the rain don't rinse clean every day, even if it's only for a few minutes. Diaper wipes work best when they don't deal with a thick layer of, er, dirt.
Old 05-26-16, 05:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
I am fortunate to have a shower at work.
I am too. I consider that one of the perks of bike commuting, lower water consumption at home. Although unfortunately in my townhouse complex, water is bundled into HOA, so no actual savings for me having my work pay for my shower water!

If I didn't have a shower at work, I think I would shower at home, ride as gently as possible, and use paper towels or baby wipes to 'top&tail' as necessary. Even the summer in SoCal is usually not that warm in the morning.
Old 05-26-16, 07:58 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I am too. I consider that one of the perks of bike commuting, lower water consumption at home. Although unfortunately in my townhouse complex, water is bundled into HOA, so no actual savings for me having my work pay for my shower water!

If I didn't have a shower at work, I think I would shower at home, ride as gently as possible, and use paper towels or baby wipes to 'top&tail' as necessary. Even the summer in SoCal is usually not that warm in the morning.
I'm more than capable and guilty of taking some long hot showers in the morning, especially if I had a late night. But I'm also 100% capable of taking no more than a minute or two and taking a "sea shower" if I want to save water or am in a hurry. One of the many skills learned in boot camp.
Old 05-26-16, 08:56 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
No morning showers here. I shower every night right before bed, as it helps me sleep better. Plus I prefer to keep my bed clean.

I have a shower available at work and have not used it once in ten years. I start work early, so it's usually not hot or even warm out. Heck, most of the year it's still dark! In the warmer weather I will freshen up with a bird bath at the sink if I'm sweaty... much quicker than a full shower.
Old 05-26-16, 10:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There's more to body odor than bacteria. Some folks who are otherwise very clean will exude a strongly metallic odor when perspiring. Diet, medications and various health factors can all contribute to body odor. When I worked in hospitals, especially in hemodialysis, I could smell which patients had hepatitis, which were taking certain heart medications, etc. It wasn't a bad odor or particularly strong, just distinctive.

One of my former co-workers who developed renal insufficiency became so self-conscious about her body odor she began applying deodorant a few times a day. I suppose it sort of helped -- she smelled strongly of deodorant, but her normal odor even without the deodorant wasn't really unpleasant and I doubt most folks would even notice if they didn't know what it was.

Supposedly deodorant and antiperspirants are more effective applied the night before. So a shower and application of deodorant/antiperspirant before bed may minimize some body odors with the next morning's commute. Even if you shower again in the morning, supposedly it won't undo the effect of deodorant/antiperspirant applied the night before.

Due to the usual scares about mosquito borne diseases, including zika this year, I probably smell more strongly of sunscreen and DEET than anything else.

If you apply a coating of a pleasant smelling sunscreen/DEET lotion, you'll probably smell like you just got back from the beach, at worst. Even sweaty, salty bodies smell kinda good after a long day at the beach, combined with the odor of sunscreen. It's a healthy kinda funk. With luck your co-workers will only be envious rather than repelled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.