Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Handle bar water bottle holder for 20" kids bike

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 12:06 AM
1standgoal
I drive.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My daughter often rides to the neighborhood park to play with her friends and wants a water bottle holder for her 20" Hotrock. I tried a Topeak cagemount on the handle bar and it was way too loose.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-26-16, 08:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
BV handlebar bottle cage mount takes shims, so you can shim it down to fit pretty much any size handlebar. We also have a couple of the Minoura mounts, but the style we have must be really old, I can't find one for sale anywhere.
Old 05-27-16, 01:46 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local bike store had a few different options when I bought them. I went and looked at the kids bikes and the water bottle holders don't have any brand name on them. If the fit is within about an 1/8" then you could just cut a piece of old inner tube up and wrap it around once or more and put the holder clamp around that. A piece of thick leather may work too.
Old 05-27-16, 09:53 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Not quite as fancy as the one above but the price is right. Outdoor Bike Bicycle Cycling Hiking Water Cup Bottle Cage Holder Handlebar Mount | eBay $1.23 postpaid. Takes 8-17 days to get stuff ordered from overseas. I bought two of these recently. If you child's handlebar is too small to fit any of the mounts, you can always use a shim to make it fit. Just cut up an old inner tube and use a strip of it wound around the handlebar. That's worked for me many times.
Old 05-28-16, 08:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
7/8" bar tube is very common to a lot of bikes thats the dimension you match ..

wrap the tube with more stuff like soda can aluminum until the clamp for the one you already have is more secure.
Old 06-06-16, 02:27 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 1standgoal
My daughter often rides to the neighborhood park to play with her friends and wants a water bottle holder for her 20" Hotrock. I tried a Topeak cagemount on the handle bar and it was way too loose.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
I wrapped my son's handlebar with a few layers of hockey tape before I tightened the bracket down. I've got lots, and don't really play much anymore, so ---- it worked.
Old 06-25-16, 08:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I used heavy duty zip ties to hold a cage on the frame if my son's trail-a bike for several years with no problems.