Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Mountain Biking around Virginia Beach?

Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Old 07-20-18, 11:16 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

My family and I are going to be spending a week in Virginia Beach and I am wondering if there is any need to bring the mountain bike along. If someone can confirm that there are decent trails (nothing too technical, just fun with nice scenery or deep in the woods) I will bring along the extra bike. If not, I will leave it at home. I did manage to find Harwood Mills Park trails in a google search and that looks interesting, but I am looking for more info on additional trails.

If I would just pull the trigger on the Trek 920 or Raleigh Willard, it would solve all my problems

Thanks
Old 08-02-18, 08:20 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't been there for decades, but I do recall that the highest point of land is a pile of trash! Mt. Trashmore, used to be a nice park, probably still is, but weren't any bike paths on it, back then.
Old 08-05-18, 02:11 PM
Moose95

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, for the late reply, but I just joined. I am not from Va Beach, but go there a lot for vacation. The beach area is mostly very flat, and many of the "backwoods" areas are either swampy or nature preserves, or both. However, if you are not looking exclusively for trail riding or hilly offroading, the Beachfront is a really nice place for a more low-key ride. The Va Beach boardwalk stretches more than three miles, and there is a "bikes only" path right next to the main boardwalk for the entire stretch. It is a very nice ride, especially early in the morning, when you can often see dolphins close to the shore. At other times of the day, it's still nice to go the 40 blocks from the edge of a residential area in the north all the way down to Rudee Inlet to watch the surfers, and the fishing boats coming and going. The boardwalk bike path connects to another path that leads over to the marina area, so it's more of a fun way to see the sights than a mountain biking experience. However, if I were going on vacation and could bring a bike, I would do it - it's just a great way to see more of the beach.