Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Park & Ride metro Boston

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Park & Ride metro Boston

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 05:23 PM
Bluestu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park & Ride metro Boston

Hi everyone

i live in metrowest Boston and started working in Somerville but the traffic is horrible. I’d like to drive into Arlington and park somewhere near Mass Ave then bike commute in. Does anyone know where I can park reliably in Arlington?
Old 09-17-18, 03:01 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Welcome to the commuter hell that is Boston. Arlington has the 2-hour on-street parking ban which sometimes gets enforced, sometimes doesn't. The closer you are to Alewife, the more likely that it will be enforced. You cold probably park somewhere near the Minuteman in one of the recreational lots (but definitely not by Alewife). Where are you coming from? There could be other, better options. I've seen Park & Pedal spots by the Charles River bikepath (Christian Herter Park) - https://www.parkandpedal.org/ Actually, looks like there are 4 DCR-owned spots by Alewife, those may fill up quickly. Pretty cool idea, we need more of this.
Park&Pedal - Welcome
Old 09-18-18, 04:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluestu
Hi everyone

i live in metrowest Boston and started working in Somerville but the traffic is horrible. I’d like to drive into Arlington and park somewhere near Mass Ave then bike commute in. Does anyone know where I can park reliably in Arlington?
Is a totally cycle-commute feasible, i.e. where do you live, and what is your work situation, e.g. schedule, facilities? I have 14 miles one-way, year-round commute, but I go outbound in the reverse commuter direction, with a convenient Commuter Rail with stations near home and work, and can bring my bike on the train (during off peak hours)..

In contrast to @autonomy 's commuter hell,
Originally Posted by autonomy
Welcome to the commuter hell that is Boston...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs……
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities. A general concensus among cycle-commuters on Bike Forums is that about 20 miles one-way (daily) is a practicable limit.
Old 09-18-18, 04:53 AM
Bluestu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply - I decided to 'go for it' yesterday and parked at Hurd Field (behind the Trader Joes) - it worked out great. My overall commute time was the same but I got to ride for half the time and buzz past traffic. hopefully I can continue it without any issues
Old 09-18-18, 04:59 AM
Bluestu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi Jim - thanks for the comments. I used to do a 17mi each way in my old job but i'm not as hard-core as you all - it wasn't year round or even every day. This one is about 24mi each way and isn't practical right now due to kid soccer pickups and other time constraints.
Old 09-18-18, 05:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluestu
hi Jim - thanks for the comments. I used to do a 17mi each way in my old job but i'm not as hard-core as you all - it wasn't year round or even every day. This one is about 24mi each way and isn't practical right now due to kid soccer pickups and other time constraints.
Thanks for your reply, @Bluestu, I hope I did not seem too "exuberant." In reality:
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

BTW, on my post to that above-mentioned thread, “Average Commuter Miles," I also quoted a Commuting Forum thread, “Commuting Safely Impacting Recreational Fun?”
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Most of my riding is commuting, so I don't really differentiate "fun rides" from "commutes"

However, I don't see the dichotomy…
Likewise for me, commuting is recreational, and I even do long rides to work on a weekend [for few hours, at my convenience] so the reverse is true…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-18-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 06:25 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
There is no reliable commuter parking on-street/public lot in Arlington. You have to move or risk tickets/tows.

(That is, not getting a ticket or towed on any given day at Hurd Field is not an indicator of success. Things that increase risk are parking the same car there day after day, soccer/baseball activity, and finally it is spill over for “holiday” shopping parking for Trader Joes, which begins just weeks away.)

You could certainly park at Alewife (and pay the MBTA for the privilege) and take a bike from there. Depending on the time of day, the commute by car in to or out of Alewife garage is hell.

I’m not recommending, but another alternative is there is a semi-underground market for renting driveway/garage/off-street parking in Arlington/Medford/Cambridge.

Usually month-to-month spaces, so you pay for the space no matter if you use it or not. Check craigslist or the arlingtonlist.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-18-18 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 04:35 AM
Bluestu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There is no reliable commuter parking on-street/public lot in Arlington. You have to move or risk tickets/tows.

(That is, not getting a ticket or towed on any given day at Hurd Field is not an indicator of success. Things that increase risk are parking the same car there day after day, soccer/baseball activity, and finally it is spill over for “holiday” shopping parking for Trader Joes, which begins just weeks away.)

You could certainly park at Alewife (and pay the MBTA for the privilege) and take a bike from there. Depending on the time of day, the commute by car in to or out of Alewife garage is hell.

I’m not recommending, but another alternative is there is a semi-underground market for renting driveway/garage/off-street parking in Arlington/Medford/Cambridge.

Usually month-to-month spaces, so you pay for the space no matter if you use it or not. Check craigslist or the arlingtonlist.

-mr. bill
hi mr bill. Agreed I’m not under any illusions about Hurd field. Still nervous about that one. Tons of neighborhood parking near there too but all it would take is an irate neighbor calling the cops.

i definitely thought of alewife but like you said the traffic in/out is horrible at rush hour and at that point I’d just drive in...

Wish they’d setup a Park&Pedal location somewhere in Arlington!
Old 09-19-18, 06:17 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Yeah, agreed, yet for a long time have didn’t have a Park&Ride either.
But we do now, at the MassDOT District 4 at Route 2/Appleton. Forgot about that!

But that reminds me of other informal gathering spots. During the 80s/90s there was “Salvation Station” at Poet’s Corner (across from St. Camillius). An old derelict parking lot, but still passable and parkable, a bunch of vanpools stopped there to bring people out to the 128/495 tech companies and back.

Then St. Camillus purchased the lot and suddenly closed it, but by then peak vanpool had come and gone, so for quite a few years they forgave us our trespasses since we parked less than a half a dozen cars weekdays in the church parking lot far from their front doors.

The downside (upside?) is the hill between there and the rest of Arlington. Generally not a problem, although there was the time coming home after an ice storm when I had to fetch a turkey (twice) at the bottom of that hill.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-19-18 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
maybe this? too far out? it's on Route 62 in Bedford on the Reformatory Branch Trail. you can take that East to the Minuteman Trail to Arlington & Cambridge

398 MA-62, Bedford MA 01730

Park&Pedal - Welcome

Bedford's Park and Pedal program keeps pushing for increased bicycle use - News - Bedford Minuteman - Bedford, MA

https://www.bedfordma.gov/healthy-be...-pedal-program
Old 09-23-18, 07:49 PM
Bluestu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yeah, agreed, yet for a long time have didn’t have a Park&Ride either.
But we do now, at the MassDOT District 4 at Route 2/Appleton. Forgot about that!

But that reminds me of other informal gathering spots. During the 80s/90s there was “Salvation Station” at Poet’s Corner (across from St. Camillius). An old derelict parking lot, but still passable and parkable, a bunch of vanpools stopped there to bring people out to the 128/495 tech companies and back.

Then St. Camillus purchased the lot and suddenly closed it, but by then peak vanpool had come and gone, so for quite a few years they forgave us our trespasses since we parked less than a half a dozen cars weekdays in the church parking lot far from their front doors.

The downside (upside?) is the hill between there and the rest of Arlington. Generally not a problem, although there was the time coming home after an ice storm when I had to fetch a turkey (twice) at the bottom of that hill.

-mr. bill

thanks for the post, and advice on the MassDOT Appleton location! I couldn’t find anything online to verify it but I will call the office or just stop by tomorrow.

I noticed that while Arlington plasters “2 hr parking” all along Mass ave, once you cross over to Lexington, especially that ‘no mans land’ area before Pleasant st, that cars are parked all along with no signs... that may be another option unless others know better...

cheers
Old 09-23-18, 07:55 PM
Bluestu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=rumrunn6;20578211]maybe this? too far out? it's on Route 62 in Bedford on the Reformatory Branch Trail. you can take that East to the Minuteman Trail to Arlington & Cambridge

398 MA-62, Bedford MA

thanks Rumrunn6 I know that area of Bedford well, unfortunately it’s out of the way for my current commute. I’m in Sudbury so might look into Newton or Waltham options too. Cheers and safe riding
Old 09-25-18, 11:34 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
If looking at Newton/Waltham, some options might be:
1. Norumbega Park (good size lot, parking for boating rental place that is pretty much closed this time of year). Google Norumbega Road (parking is on west side of river.)
2. Cotler Park off Kendrick Street. Parking lot is extension of parking lot for business, but is for the park.
3. Commonwealth Ave, Newton, south of Auburndale Park, near Islington Road(access road, one way). I parked here for a few months, and was never bothered.

A few other spots I know of, as I work around there; let me know what area interests you the most, and I might be able to offer some more specific suggestions.